Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 14:49   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Foriegn flagged vessel ??

SSR is not a proof of ownership.. and all you need to do is send it to the SSR office address printed on it and it will be de-registered.
Part 1 is proof of ownership and will list any part owners/mortgage etc.. protocol/forms for de-registration can be found on line..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ister-msf-4744

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:05   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Foriegn flagged vessel ??

The old owner de-flags it. Presents you with the original Builders Certificate. He provides proof of USA importation.
You pay and receive bill of sale

If no importation has been paid its only 2% into the USA and maybe a state tax. Still its not much but u need to fact it it in.

None of it is hugely difficult.

You are wise to have a documentation company do it.

Do not pay nuffin till you see a builders certificate
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Foriegn flagged vessel ??

Mark.. I've owned 15 boats to date and not yet seen a builders certificate.. not even when I bought a 5yr old boat from Moorings with just the 1 owner..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:25   #19
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Mark, you always have good info/ideas - but I've never seen a Builder's Cert either. I have only purchased boats built or imported to the US. Maybe that's a difference?

I might look at a UK flagged boat in the near future so I am interested
Old 06-02-2017, 16:40   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Maybe some countries are different.
It slowed the purchase of my boat until they got Beneteau to issue one.

It was de-flagged France then flagged Australia.

I was under the impression that any boat built in another country needed one.

Anyway the op needs an expert to advise him so he knows the costs.

Old 06-02-2017, 16:48   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I've had three boats and a builder's certificate for each one. If I remember right documentation (registration) at least in Canada requires one. Without one how is one to know where the boat was built?
Old 06-02-2017, 16:55   #22

thank you so much for all the input and the references.

it is an old boat a Pearson Vanguard. current owner says it doesnt matter but i am just not that confident. i dont think there is a problem with him or his intent but just too open ended for me .... the problem / challenge is that although it is a nice specimen for its age ...
i am concerned about getting in too deep vs the value .... and as a 30 year veteran of entrepreneurship in the US and items like sales tax audits and excise tax audits and city an county bureocratic bs about signage and dumpster location etc etc etc. it matters to me.

i dont want to own this boat for a few years and then some agency shows up and tells me i owe them a fee for importing my own boat into my own country-- that i dont think has actually ever left other than maybe a few trips to the Bahamas

i really do appreciate the input -i have a decision to make .... thanks for the help
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:28   #23

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Just an FYI for the readers on the subject here in New Zealand. NZ does not require boats to be registered if you are not sailing into international waters. I fully imported (all duty and taxes paid) my Mason 53 into New Zealand back in 2001 and left it US flagged and documented.

The importation would allow ANY future buyer to leave and return the vessel to New Zealand, as often as they liked, and for as long as they liked, without any further taxes or duty.

Maintaining the US flag allowed the boat to be taken in and out of the country without going through the Cat 1 inspection program which is required for yachts carrying a N.Z.

Any potential buyer could search against the U.S. documentation for any lien issues (which there are none).

All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:38   #24
Marine Service Provider

I'm sure UK law is like the US. You can't have a US documented boat owned by a company (LLC, corp. etc.) that is controled by foreigners.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 19:14   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakes View Post

it is an old boat a Pearson Vanguard.
Oh FFS! Its an American built boat!

It doesn't need to be imported.

It would have been nice to mention that in your first post. I don't spose you saw the relevance.

Not to worry.

Old owner de-flags. Then you pay. Then you re-flag if you want to.
Old 06-02-2017, 20:13   #26
Marine Service Provider

You can document a US or foreign built vessel for "Recreation" use without a builder's certificate if you have no intention of ever changing documentation to one of the commercial classifications. It's good to have though for the resale value.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 22:38   #27

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post
are there not 3 things here, (1) clear title, no liens etc. (2) flagging and transferring from UK to US register, and (3) tax / VAT as maybe tax issues bringing into US or is that covered by Florida registration (I'm a brit so ???). If he purchased in Europe he may have decided to keep on British Flag as would be tax paid ? and therefore not had to deal with US tax issues given his dual citizenship, so while the registration bit maybe equivalent there maybe other issues.

Of course I maybe talking nonsense as I am not a tax expert but have been looking at something the other way round, a US flagged vessel, more out of curiosity, as will be in the market in a few years and so wanted to start to get my head around this type of stuff. There must be someone on here who has imported into US and registered. Sadly it all sounds like professional advice and legal / tax fees is needed. One thought is that another thread mentioned a buyers broker, if the guy selling has a broker then maybe a broker can help ?

If you work it out it would be good to post the answer here so others can use if they face similar issues.
Tax (VAT) in EC has nothing to do with vessels flag.
Only criteria are time related: age of boat, time spent in EC and such.
That means the owner could change flag without loosing 'paid VAT' status.
Old 06-02-2017, 22:43   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mark.. I've owned 15 boats to date and not yet seen a builders certificate.. not even when I bought a 5yr old boat from Moorings with just the 1 owner..
I have surveyed about 12 boats last year (all in Europe, all European built) and have demanded and received a copy of builders cert. for each and every vessel.
Manufacturers e.g.: Bavaria, Beneteau, Swan, etc)
Sorry, one USA built Hunter as well.
Old 07-02-2017, 00:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Tax (VAT) in EC has nothing to do with vessels flag.
Only criteria are time related: age of boat, time spent in EC and such.
That means the owner could change flag without loosing 'paid VAT' status.
mmm

authorities want to see tax paid, US flagged boat owned by an American, visiting and not exeeded 18, no problem

EU flagged boat owned by EU citizen, boat been in Europe 1 yr and owner says I will leave (despite obvious ties to EU) seems open to challenge, depending on where as very different attitudes across EU states, but say nothing to do with it ignores the point that the authorities will look at differently.

Its like duty free shopping, your passport makes a difference and the flag is a vessels passport.

Agree that changing flag may not cause loss of tax paid status, if tax has been paid, but may do subsequently if vessel is outside some jurisdictions for several years
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46   #30

Re: Foriegn flagged vessel?

Sorry about hijacking the thread but I am considering buying a US boat built and currently flagged in the US but will register it as a British flagged boat. What I am interested in is there a sales tax to be paid on a brokered sale and if there is can it be reclaimed on permanent export, is there a time limitation on how long you can keep a British flagged boat in the US.

Thanks
Vancouver Pete is offline   Reply With Quote