Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2023, 18:58   #91

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Forced at gunpoint to jump off a sailboat in the Exumas

Old 01-02-2023, 19:01   #92

The OP ,imo,is lacking credibility by supplying information about the person the op accused , but omitting his own social media accounts.

Likely signing his post's with a fictional name ( as he doesn't come up on a "search" ,and it's difficult to believe he has no presence.
And after perusing the accused Capt. Fbook page, he seems rather normal and quite the Sailing traveler.
Also, the indication that the local authorities investigated and nothing came of it, makes me feel the op might be telling fibs.
Unless and until the op is willing to post his fbook and other social media accounts for perusal, I'm thinking he's not being completely honest and likely embellished the story.
JoetheCobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 19:19   #93

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBen View Post
... I got on Crewbay.com and found Nick ___ and his Beneteau 473, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBen View Post
...He has claimed to others that I assaulted him and broke two ribs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF ExNavy View Post
That was me recovering with broken ribs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF ExNavy View Post
Why he didn't turn GPS tracker off if he did something wrong? It seems like your story is fake... you don't even have a FB page, so you have everything to hide
Are we still ignoring this?
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:09   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post
Unless and until the op is willing to post his fbook and other social media accounts for perusal, I'm thinking he's not being completely honest and likely embellished the story.
Are you part of the Chinese communist party? Because monitoring and essentially requiring social media accounts sounds a lot like the social credit system they love.

Some of us don't have or want Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc accounts, and now not wanting that intrusion on our lives, makes us untrustworthy...
Lrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:35   #95

Boat: S&S 40

[quote redacted]

Quite a wild story..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:05   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post
The OP ,imo,is lacking credibility by supplying information about the person the op accused , but omitting his own social media accounts.

Likely signing his post's with a fictional name ( as he doesn't come up on a "search" ,and it's difficult to believe he has no presence.

The OP posted his personal and company webpage, his company information, etc.

Again, I have no particular dog in this hunt; I have no idea whether the story is legit or not or who's the bad guy or the good guy here; I just think the whole "doxxing" conversation is ridiculous.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:10   #97

I don't find OP lacking credibility, especially since "About me" section in his profile is filled out. While he doesn't have a lot of posts, the ones he made do line up with his interest in cruising and sailing before this story.

It would be good for the captain to explain his side to even out the conversation.

No mater how you look at it and what the disagreement was - pulling a gun on someone (unless threatened with physical harm) is not the right way to handle a dispute or tense situation.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:20   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forced at gunpoint to jump off a sailboat in the Exumas

No reason why he should/would want to..
It'll just be a He said/I said..
The authorities did not think it was worth pursuing and that's enough for me.. But for some CF members I guess its another matter..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:26   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[...]
The authorities did not think it was worth pursuing [...]

Basic journalism 101 principles: I have no idea what the authorities did or didn't think, and neither do you.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:46   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Forced at gunpoint to jump off a sailboat in the Exumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Basic journalism 101 principles: I have no idea what the authorities did or didn't think, and neither do you.
Enough with the patronizing already.. read the OP's comments on the issue.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:47   #101

Checked out [redacted]

I'd have thrown the OP overboard, likely.
He seems problematic.
I'll stick with solo sailing.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:02   #102

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:

The authorities did not think it was worth pursuing and that's enough for me.. But for some CF members I guess its another matter..
This point/attitude has been posted by several people, but strikes me as odd.

The only crime I’ve really been close to as an adult was a burglary. The police came, took our names, wrote down what had been taken, and basically said have a nice day. It was very clear no pursuing was going to take place. I don’t completely blame them, no one was hurt, the $ amount lost wasn’t huge, gathering any significant evidence would have required busting out the all the TV CSI gear which a small department probably doesn’t have and wouldn’t really practical for every small case even if they did.

There was no doubt that it did happen, and that it was a crime. Just the incentive structure wasn’t there to do much about it.

I don’t know much anything about Bahamian law enforcement, but I’m guessing they aren’t rolling in spare money and resources.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:04   #103

Fellow sailors,

I've resisted making more posts lately, trying to stay out of the fray of blaming and shaming, but I guess it might help to shed a bit more light on a few things that have been mentioned.

As for social media, no idea how that is germane, but here is me, just so everyone knows I'm real and an avid sailor:

[links redacted]

In terms of the house on Little Darby, I washed ashore with no food and no water, it took me over 90 minutes of very difficult scrambling and bushwacking to get to the house, and the sun was touching the horizon when I ultimately found it. I was parched, I was in shock, it is tough to describe the situation to anyone who has not been in a similar spot. The house was open, I walked around for 10 minutes calling out Hello, Anyone there? but the caretaker (who lives downstairs) never heard me. From the deck I saw the VHF in its charger and it literally represented life, allowing me to contact the other boat owner I had been texting on 16 to let him know I was still alive. I have been in touch with the managers of the property (they mailed me the sun hoodie that got left behind) and I do not believe they harbor any ill will to the fact that I entered their house in the dire straights I was in, not even knowing where I was for sure. Their VHF was my lifeline, plain and simple.

To try to address the actions (or inactions) of the Bahamian authorities, that is still completely baffling to me. The Tourism folks assured me they took this very seriously, they told me that I should be thankful to be alive, and that what mattered that day was getting me safely home. Now, other than one email that let me know they had detained Nick, I have not heard from anyone in authority from the Bahamas - no detective, no prosecutor, no nobody. My gut says that they wanted the victim gone, then they did little to no real investigating, but now that I am 3500 miles away, limited by only phone calls and emails, there really isn't much I can do about that but try to move on and hope they ask the hard questions, whether to me or to Nick.

As for the 'scuffle', it wasn't a fight, no punches were thrown on either side. Nick bum rushed me down the cockpit stairs, toward the drawer where the knives were, and I blocked him with my body, hands up in the air, at that point truly scared that was where he was headed. I get it, you folks were not there but it lasted literally 5 seconds as he wrestled me to the cabin sole, and when I backed off trying to reason that we should just wait for the authorities to come and sort everything out, that was when he went to his cabin and grabbed the gun, cocked it and pointed it at me.

Finally, about filming the situation, and those events, I did go down and pack my bags as ordered, but I also at the same time grabbed the GoPro to have some record of what I figured was going to happen - him dumping me at some random island. There was no gun in the picture at that time, and it was not even in my mind that is where things were headed. Keep in mind that by then my iPhone had already been thrown overboard (to stop my texting the other boat owner), and then when he found out I was still texting on my cellular iPad, that went into the ocean as well. Jammer has seen the text thread and posted his analyis of what he read earlier in the thread. The GoPro did have a yellow floatie on it, so I pray some day it is found, whoever finds it might make a tidy sum selling that frightful footage, but whether it ever is found I cannot predict.

I get it, some are just going to want to believe I contributed to the situation, that I am partly to blame. What can I say to that other than to keep saying I did try to de-escalate, to ask him to just wait for the authorities to show up or to just let us make it to Georgetown where I would pony up for the ticket change fee. Once the gun was out, I was just begging for my life, a degrading and humiliating experience, and perhaps I should somehow feel 'lucky' that he motored into the cut and made me jump off the boat, shoes and hat in one hand, to swim to shore around 100 yards away, with nothing but my fanny pack that had my passport and wallet.

So, anyone who has questions for me, I will repeat that you can PM me and I will try my best to clarify anything that seems unclear from my account. I tried not to write a lengthy account, to write just the basic facts, but clearly that has just made some folks create assumptions about the events, about my motives, about my actions and Nick's actions. Again, not really much I can do about that, human nature being what it is.

To you all, thank you again for reading my account and hearing me out, I wish everyone fair winds, calm seas, beautiful sunsets and dinghy motors that never conk out!

Ben Cahan
SocalBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:05   #104

Quote:
Enough with the patronizing already.. read the OP's comments on the issue.

Right. We have no idea what the Bahamian authorities did or said, much less what they thought, only what some stranger posting on some forum says the Bahamian authorities did or said.

We don't know anything here. There's nothing remotely patronizing about pointing that out.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:12   #105

Without going back through all the drama posts, I thought the original story was you were 1/2 mile off the beach.
In the last post, it's down to 100yards.
Hmmm, police interigators view these changing stories as an indicator of falsehoods and half-truths being perpetrated.
Just saying.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat