Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 16:10   #16

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38
Re: FOOD LICENSES FOR CHARTER?

What you need or should get is a serv-safe permit. These are valid in every state as they supersede the states/county requirements. It is an all day class put on several times a year and often put on by the hotel/restaurant assn. of your state. These are good for five years and the class runs around $100.

As it is a national permit you don't worry about crossing state or county jurisdictions.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 16:31   #17

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
We do it all the time in Washington and I've never heard about required licenses. Maybe I will be arrested after this post.

I am sure if you ask a governmental agency they are going to say sure, you need one. Give us money. My theory is always don’t ask. 6- pack, for get it, you are small fry and I don’t think there are food service police lurking about. Yes, I know, I am an outlaw but haven’t been arrested yet.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 19:03   #18

thanks everyone. super helpful so far.
p1ersturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 19:26   #19

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
What you need or should get is a serv-safe permit. These are valid in every state as they supersede the states/county requirements. It is an all day class put on several times a year and often put on by the hotel/restaurant assn. of your state. These are good for five years and the class runs around $100.

As it is a national permit you don't worry about crossing state or county jurisdictions.
This isn't true. I've worked over ten years in food service and I had a serv safe certification. I always had to get a state issued food safety certification. Serve safe is the program that the National Restaurant Association issues. It has nothing to do with the federal govt.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 21:05   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Agreed with above; my USCG MM Credential includes a Food Handler (FH) rating for the stewards dept; was always needed on inspected vessels if you work in food service. Not needed on un-inspected vessels I suspect. You will need whatever state regs exist; at least a food handlers license (Serv Save is a prerequisite for that usually) and the galley MAY need to be inspected (many are).
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 21:34   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
You can always call the health department where you plan to sail out of - I would guess they'd have jurisdiction - I know when I ran a restaurant, they were pretty helpful when we had questions. Alternatively, you could always ask your future competition what they know about it. Don't take it as gospel, but as long as you don't come on too strong, people are pretty friendly.

Good luck!

-Peter
This^^

If only running 6 PAX then you can operate as an unispected vessel, but...that doesnt get you out from under other relevant local regulations.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, food, license