Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 11:01   #1

Florida private chartering

hello everyone. i am new to the site and excited to get started. ever since Air BNB started , i have been wondering if anyone from the boating community is willing to take people on their boat for a few days. me and my wife are interested in seeing if this life is for us and have been looking for someone who does this sort of thing. sure there are endless captained charter boats out there if you have tons of money to spend, but we cant afford that. any help getting pointed in the right direction is appreciated.

thanks
paparuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00   #2

Re: Florida private chartering

It sounds like you are seeking a skippered boat charter as to opposed a bareboat charter which does not provide for a skipper / crew, wherein you are the skipper / crew but requires that you have considerable experience operating a boat of similar size and capabilities. [I suggest you Google: Skippered boat charter Florida and you will find many listings and locations for various types and sizes of boats from which you will need to determine your preference and dates of charter, e.g., monohull sailboats, catamarans, powered vessels.

Some of the major companies are listed below.

https://www.moorings.com/yacht-vacat...ppered-charter

https://www.sunsail.com/sailing-vaca...-yacht-charter

Alternatively you could sign up for a liveaboard, learn to sail charter / school arrangement. Moorings and Sunsail provide such duality charters. Another example thereof: https://www.offshoresailing.com/sail...ising-courses/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:10   #3

yes, thank you. i have checked those sights out, but they are companies that charge crazy high prices. i was looking for some private individual.

thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 12:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparuger View Post
yes, thank you. i have checked those sights out, but they are companies that charge crazy high prices. i was looking for some private individual.

thanks
A "private individual" is required to have all the same licensing requirements and boat certifications, [both State and Federal / US Coast Guard] as does the major charter companies. It is not like one can just jump aboard a private pleasure boat, that would involve an illegal charter operation.

The prices are competitive determined and are reasonable given the costs involved in operating such a charter business.

The liveaboard schools are likely the best value as you learn the ropes and experience being onboard and can gain incremental certifications of competency which would then provide you the capabilities for eventually bareboat chartering.

There are very limited number of AirBnb type private rentals of boats which vessels do not leave their dock mooring, i.e., boats rented for short stays but which you can not operate, typically moored to private dock behind the boat owner's home, because most marinas prohibit rentals of boats as they are in the business of renting slips for boats. On the AirBnb site scroll down through the search filters and click on "boat" and include your desired location / region to find listings. An example: https://www.airbnb.com/s/Key-West--F...ype_id%5B%5D=8
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43   #5

oh, ok, i see. I didnt realize you had to have all the licences to do that.
Do you know if that holds true in other countries/ islands in caribbean?

I have seen the ones in the keys, but thats about the only place i have seen them.

i will surely check out the schools.

We were just thinking it would be nice to spend some time on a boat with REAL people living "the life" and seeing what its all about before jumping in head first.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:58   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Join your local power squadron and/or yacht club. You will learn and be invited to race on boats or accompany others on weekend cruises.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 13:05   #7

Quote:
oh, ok, i see. I didnt realize you had to have all the licences to do that.
Do you know if that holds true in other countries/ islands in caribbean?

I have seen the ones in the keys, but thats about the only place i have seen them.

i will surely check out the schools.

We were just thinking it would be nice to spend some time on a boat with REAL people living "the life" and seeing what its all about before jumping in head first.
Definitely start with feet first.

Most major metropolitan areas with large water seem to have a few boats available for nightly stayaboards [i.e., not cruiseaboard bare or skippered boating], including in the tropics. Some are anchored / moored and require dinghy access or they let a cabin onboard the boat the owners are living aboard and often will cook dinner/breakfast and provide drinks in the evening, but don't lift anchor or untie from the dock so as to not run afoul of the legal chartering businesses which will report them to the authorities if they do take persons out for a Gilligan Island tour,

Suggest you go visit a yacht club and befriend another couple so as to gain access to some day and overnight trips, to get a taste of being on the water be that sailing or motoring.

I was considering renting a canal boat in London during my last business trip to my clients but they found a nice flat two blocks away from their office and rented it for me for the nine day stay. Much more conveniently located then having to commute to somewhere on the Thames.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:52   #8

great advise, thanks
Old 12-11-2019, 04:33   #9

Quote:
yes, thank you. i have checked those sights out, but they are companies that charge crazy high prices.
In the early 2000's, I used my Willard Trawler as a training platform for 1-2 day on-the-water close quarter/docking classes. Insurance was a killer. I forget exactly, but I think I paid something like $4k for 15-days of coverage. And that was almost 20-years ago. It's the main reason I stopped doing the classes, which were a blast to do. Understand that if you do find someone and something does go wrong, their insurance will not cover the damages.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:14   #10

Quote:
I should have thought of this before. John and Amanda Neal use their Halberg Rassey as a liveaboard platform. Doubtful it's dirt cheap, and not in Florida, but likely an extremely good value and a great way to taste-test bluewater cruising. They've been at it for 25+ years (at least).
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 16:17   #11

Link below is to AirBnB listings for Florida Boats.

Again these are just going to be stay aboard, not charter cruise aboard.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Florida-%C2...YgR0E7HW9MTLvc
Old 13-11-2019, 09:40   #12

cool, thank you all for the good info...id like to find a place like these in the islands where i could stay a month.
Old 13-11-2019, 09:43   #13

Quote:
cool, thank you all for the good info...id like to find a place like these in the islands where i could stay a month.
Just set the filters by location and to include "boat" as to type of rental desired.

Hope you find boating life something you enjoy.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:03   #14

got it, thanks
Old 12-01-2020, 06:58   #15

Bluesail does a mix of airbnb, captained cruisers, training, etc.
https://www.bluesailcharter.com/

They are in key west
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, florida