Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 08:26   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Florida coast living selection?

I know this is all relative, but forum sailors' opinions are more valuable than those of my non-boating friends. Please hit "delete" if not interested!

We're looking ahead to retiring in Florida and trying to determine the best "small town" atmosphere areas to look. We saw Stuart last week and found it interesting; we also realized that in the range of 350-500k there's a wide variety of quality, depending on where we look! Like everybody we'd like to avoid the riff-raff, but can't afford a palace!

We'll most likely have a 38' catamaran and will need to keep it somewhere, so that's another consideration. We won't spend more than a couple of weeks aboard at a time, visiting the Keys or possibly the Bahamas in good weather.

If anybody has a suggestion of where to look I'd be grateful. I'd like to visit several places during the same trip rather than use all my leave going back and forth seeing a town each time.

Thanks so much!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:45   #2

Re: Florida coast living selection?

Have you looked in Punta Gorda or Cape Coral area? I was down there last month visiting my father and did some research on the local sailing. There are many islands to explore around Charlotte Harbor. They don't get the hurricanes line the east coast and are low enough on the gulf where the weather passes them and usually lands further north.
bmisq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:01   #3

During 2010 (think recession!) there were properties on canals with their own docks on the Space Coast for $200k and up. At $200k they were not in primo condition but 3 BR and decent neighborhoods. Ditto further north in Florida. Often these spots don't have very deep water, but for a cat that would work. Anyway, I don't know what they are going for now but probably still in your range. I have friends that moved ashore in New Smyrna Beach, small town feel up there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:19   #4

Boat: Leopard L38

St.Augustine, St.Petersburg and as previous poster mentioned Port Charolotte-Punta Gorda SW FL area. Great inshore fishing in Pine Island sound. Sailing around St Auggie not so great. Tampa Bay is a nice place to sail. SWFL is a nice location and close to the keys.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:21   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Vero Beach or Palm Coast
Old 29-11-2016, 14:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmisq View Post
Have you looked in Punta Gorda or Cape Coral area? I was down there last month visiting my father and did some research on the local sailing. There are many islands to explore around Charlotte Harbor. They don't get the hurricanes line the east coast and are low enough on the gulf where the weather passes them and usually lands further north.
No, I haven't, but have been told to look at Naples, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers and Venice.

Thanks for the good word.

Lee
Old 29-11-2016, 16:57   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Not sure of your price range, and if you want a house with a dock. Stuart is nice. Just south is Hobe Sound. Along Gomez St., or road, there are a couple of communities with short canals with sailboat depth, and I have seen cats there, so wide enough. Beauty of east coast is the Bahamas, very easy from there, just go south to Riviera Beach and go. West coast, Punta Gorda is very nice, puts you in Charlotte Harbor, decent sailing, and some spots to anchor and enjoy. Access to the Dry Tortugas, and to the Keys. West coast is also less pricey than the east coast, but you are several days from a Bahama crossing. I am in the same situation, I have a condo in Stuart, but for what a slip costs, I could have a mortgage on a house in Punta Gorda for just a little more. I am thinking seriously of making a change.

The other issue with Stuart right now is the polluted water being dumped from Lake Okeechobee that has killed the St Lucie river. It has become a very political issue, with the tea party govenor, and the newly elected President, I doubt there will be much action to stem the source of pollution that is causing all the issues. I would stay away from the St Lucie.

Port Charlotte, just north of PG, is less expensive, but , in my opinion, a little less desirable. For me, Latitude is more important than Longitude, so further north is less appealing to me.

I have only driven through Venice or Englewood, but it was recommended that i look there also.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 18:51   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Two years ago, my wife and I spent a couple of months sailing to several areas on the east coast of Florida checking out communities. Spent a week in about a half-dozen spots. Finally choose Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island. This is a very cool place with very friendly people. Real estate and slip fees are cheaper here than many spots down south. It has nice beaches, great restaurants and many good night spots.

Downside is that it gets cold in January and February, and it’s a bit farther to cruise to the Keys, Bahamas and Mexico.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bmisq.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:52   #10

Boat: Boatless

I'd keep the tri, move to Coconut Grove and join Where Sailors Belong! and get a mooring at the Club.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 05:21   #11

Thanks for all the ideas. Keepondancin - your recommendation of Punta Gorda is in line with some of my own research.

The tri is great fun, but not roomy. We spent our 4 week honeymoon from the Chesapeake to Martha's Vineyard and back, and while we had fun, a cat would provide more comfort, esp if we had family aboard. In our 50's/60's, we get tired of climbing over one another to get in/out of our aft queen berth! We like the new Seawind 1160 Lite, and it performs fairly well.
Old 30-11-2016, 05:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I'd keep the tri, move to Coconut Grove and join Where Sailors Belong! and get a mooring at the Club.
We loved the town of Covonut Grove, but not sure if we can afford it. The moorings are only 1st come, 1st served and not guaranteed - even for members, so if we sailed away for a week we could return to find no mooring available. Then there's the cost of $5000/year for a mooring, and $1000 for membership. Whew!
Old 30-11-2016, 06:27   #13

Boat: Boatless

Lee,

The Grove is expensive but at the CGSC the moorings are permanently assigned to a specific boat. Membership is $600 and moorings $9/ft/month.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:49   #14

Boat: O'Day 302

Punta gorda/port charlotte/ft Meyers area definitely straddles the gap of quality, affordability and access. East Coast spots are closer to keys/Bahamas, but generally more expensive and not as many daysailing options as west coast. West coast is generally less expensive, but further from the cruising grounds.

Unfortunately, Florida is in quite the real estate bubble right now. Canal homes in St Pete that we're going for 350-450 2 years ago are now in the 600-700 range. Good for the seller, not so much for the buyer.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 07:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Lee,

The Grove is expensive but at the CGSC the moorings are permanently assigned to a specific boat. Membership is $600 and moorings $9/ft/month.
Phil, to gently disagree, this is what I got from their site:

CGSC has 175 moorings in the most protected mooring field in Biscayne Bay. These moorings are available to the public and members on a first come first served basis.

Monthly Mooring Rates: $70 FOM* Fee + $9.00 per foot

So if I remove the 10' bowsprit I'm at 36'. 36*9=324 + 70 = 394 x12 = $4728

Membership: Regular Member
One-Time Initiation Fee: $600.00
Dues $350.00 +tax once a year in July
Capital Assessment $100.00 once a year in July
Facility, Operations, and Maintenance Fee $32.00 (+tax) monthly

So it's $834/yr excluding the one time initiation fee.

I'm just not sure we can afford it with a budget of 350k-550k for a house. We sure did like it though!

Thanks,
Lee

Tags
florida