Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26S
flammables on board

so as some of you may know I completed my 1st ocean passage (Bermuda-Halifax) on board of Volvo60 racer.
I'm in a process of writing a 'constructive criticism' letter to the skipper with the blessings of most of the crew members, in a process receiving a feedback from them.
One of them pointed to storing cans diesel and gasoline in the cockpit on the (lower bunks), close to the open flames of the (propane) burners in the galley.
That's seems to be straightforward hazardous, if not prohibited(?)

What's your take on this? (I did a search on 'flammables on board with no hits)
Tnx
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:59   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: flammables on board

Are you saying the cans are on the bunks below or in the cockpit? Where would you like the heavy jugs stored?
Old 08-06-2017, 13:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are you saying the cans are on the bunks below or in the cockpit? Where would you like the heavy jugs stored?
in the living quarters, just under my bunk there were 5 or 6 jugs with diesel fuel and some and in the next (lower) bunk, jugs with gasoline (for the generator) on top of it they were not fastened in any manner.
Reading Construction Standards for Small Vessels and other materials looks like such storage is prohibited.
Where would I like them to be stored?, not where I and six others are sleeping, that's for sure.
Been reading about extra fuels, storage, and to me a right solution is a properly designed and installed big enough tank(s) so one doesn't have strap additional ones in different places, compromising performance of the vessel and her safety.
Old 08-06-2017, 13:46   #4

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

The diesel would not bother me so much from a safety point of view as the gasoline does;but neither should be stored in the cabin
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:06   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

I never store gasoline below decks. A chafed through container is pretty easy to occur on a long passage. We're the jugs in place when you boarded the vessel?

I'm pretty sure the point of your letter is to improve the behavior of the skipper and owners. Hopefully it will also improve your ability to evaluate a vessel/skipper before you decide to go offshore with them.
Old 08-06-2017, 14:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I never store gasoline below decks. A chafed through container is pretty easy to occur on a long passage. We're the jugs in place when you boarded the vessel?yep.

I'm pretty sure the point of your letter is to improve the behavior of the skipper and owners. Hopefully it will also improve your ability to evaluate a vessel/skipper before you decide to go offshore with them or anybody else.

As I said in another post, I'm happy (to survive ) and it's been much more educational then if all was smooth and proper.
Old 08-06-2017, 15:50   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The can of Pam in the galley. The Right Guard spray in the head. The varnish, paint, mineral spirits, acetone, naptha, and MEK under the settee. The can of butane in the nav desk to refill the fancy lighter. The can of hair spray in the head. The flares. Oh yea, the booze. We live with all of them.

That said we also keep the gas tank for the dinghy in the propane locker, and gas and diesel in 5 gal jugs on the deck.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:03   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Diesel down there is no problem (not what I would have done). But the gasoline?! Hell no!

We keep fuel jugs 2 6 gallon diesel and dinghy fuel on deck strapped to the shrouds. Our boat fits a jug nicely between the upper and aft or forward lowers.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:15   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Keeping fuel below is stupid but for all the paint products we carry on a cruiser there is not much choice. I have all my stuff in one locker, far from anything. I don't know how it could explode.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:52   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'll hazard a guess here. Originally, the fuels for the boat may have been stored in bladders. Eventually, as they do, the bladders either chafed or the welds failed. With no proper lazarette for stowage of the fuels, the problem had to be solved "somehow".

Easiest, cheapest, would be to stow them below. Can't have them in the head; not in the galley; don't really want them on deck. Possibly the berth was the most secure place the skipper could find, especially, if equipped with a lee cloth, or straps securing them to the hull.

I'd feel a lot better if the genset had been diesel, though.

We do carry gasoline, in jerry jugs, in the lazarette. In all our thousands of miles of cruising, we've never had a jug chafe through. We also have propane in a propane locker, and wouldn't be without it.

Ann
Old 08-06-2017, 18:01   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I'll hazard a guess here. Originally, the fuels for the boat may have been stored in bladders. Eventually, as they do, the bladders either chafed or the welds failed. With no proper lazarette for stowage of the fuels, the problem had to be solved "somehow".

Easiest, cheapest, would be to stow them below. Can't have them in the head; not in the galley; don't really want them on deck. Possibly the berth was the most secure place the skipper could find, especially, if equipped with a lee cloth, or straps securing them to the hull.

I'd feel a lot better if the genset had been diesel, though.

We do carry gasoline, in jerry jugs, in the lazarette. In all our thousands of miles of cruising, we've never had a jug chafe through. We also have propane in a propane locker, and wouldn't be without it.

Ann
Before you all jump in with comments on the above, be aware that our lazarette is sealed from the accomodation and is vented overboard.

Jim
Old 08-06-2017, 18:12   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Thats good because I was going to ask about the lid (gas cap.).
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 18:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The can of Pam in the galley. The Right Guard spray in the head. The varnish, paint, mineral spirits, acetone, naptha, and MEK under the settee. The can of butane in the nav desk to refill the fancy lighter. The can of hair spray in the head. The flares. Oh yea, the booze. We live with all of them.

That said we also keep the gas tank for the dinghy in the propane locker, and gas and diesel in 5 gal jugs on the deck.
Spot-on!