Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 08:40   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flaming Potential Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
have we been flaming Boatie, I always thought he's fair game anyway, cause I'm convinced with that number of posts , he's actually a middle aged wife living in Montana!!!!

dave
Minnesota actually....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 08:54   #32

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Flaming Potential Friends

Ah hell, I just missed you, I had a layover in the Cities, on my way back to Africa. It was snowing so hard, I thought I might get lucky and get weathered in.
Old 13-12-2013, 09:19   #33

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Has CF ever considered having everyone use their real name, instead of a pseudonym?
I'm way ahead of you.
Old 13-12-2013, 09:21   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm positive that using ones' real name on a forum changes nothing except that people know your real name!
Old 13-12-2013, 09:45   #35

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I try to be polite and accept that I don't have to change anybody's mind. If I state my position and it is not given credence OK, that won't affect my life.

Ben Franklin was involved with discussion groups in most towns where he lived. This was a time when offending someone could easily cause you to have to choose between pistols or swords. They had a rule that said you always had to phrase your position as a question. IE "Is it possible that a scoop anchor holds better in some bottoms than a plow?" That cut down the blood shed. Still, there is a lot to be said for personal accountability.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 09:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Has CF ever considered having everyone use their real name, instead of a pseudonym?
To what end? I could just as easily make up a "real name" as I can a pseudonym, and only an extensive investigation would reveal the deception. The fact is that all internet forums are, in some ways, anonymous. And all internet forums are, in other ways, NOT anonymous. If someone REALLY wants to find out who you are, they can. And if they don't want to put that much effort into it (which no forum operator is going to bother with) then any name will be just as "real" as any other.

It's a lot easier, and way more productive, to just ignore the jerks (and try not to be one yourself).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 10:28   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
To what end? I could just as easily make up a "real name" as I can a pseudonym, and only an extensive investigation would reveal the deception. The fact is that all internet forums are, in some ways, anonymous. And all internet forums are, in other ways, NOT anonymous. If someone REALLY wants to find out who you are, they can. And if they don't want to put that much effort into it (which no forum operator is going to bother with) then any name will be just as "real" as any other.

It's a lot easier, and way more productive, to just ignore the jerks (and try not to be one yourself).
Yes, there are any number of ways to fake an identity on the Internet. That doesn't preclude CF from trying. Just make it a requirement to use your real name. No, CF can't confirm, but making it a requirement would allow it to be policed in the case of complaints. As you say, there is usually a way to find out who a person is if you put enough effort into it.

BTW, there is plenty of research that shows hiding behind a mask increases the tendency for people to behave less civilly than they normally would. Its the same reason people are more friendly in small towns ... they aren't, but you can't hide in a small town the same way you can in a big city, so people act nicer to each other.

And yes, ignoring the jerks is a good strategy, but even when we do, there may still be an overall negative impact on CF. Check out this piece of research The “Nasty Effect:” Online Incivility and Risk Perceptions of Emerging Technologies). It's a bit tangential to CF discussions, but does suggest there is an negative overall impact on an online forums when people are "nasty" to one another. Drags us all down, so to speak.
Old 13-12-2013, 10:44   #38

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Now if the tone of this thread could be consistent over the site then new posters looking for advice and help perhaps would not be turned off the site. Maybe we all need to be more aware of the snarks and remind them to modify their tone?

I can speak quite well, I type very poorly. So at times without facial expressions etc expressing myself is stunted. Anyway again to the many who have helped me get my boat ready for "the jump" thank you.
Old 13-12-2013, 11:43   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Minnesota actually....
How cool is that? We should go for a sail sometime!! And please tell me that you're at least a fit and good looking middle aged house wife :-)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 12:09   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flaming Potential Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
How cool is that? We should go for a sail sometime!! And please tell me that you're at least a fit and good looking middle aged house wife :-)
Well... I've put on a couple of pounds over the Thanksgiving but reckon I still look hot big boy...
Attached Images

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:26   #41

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

^I think I need a drink or 3
Old 13-12-2013, 15:36   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Well... I've put on a couple of pounds over the Thanksgiving but reckon I still look hot big boy...
Perfect! Sometimes a real struggle to find good railmeat around here. Usually have to go over to Wisconsin to find gals of your quality. Now I can definitely get that 45ft mast I've always wanted for my 23 foot boat...
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
you must be petty, mean, insulting, threatening, and childish
It sounds so negative when you string them all together like that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:50   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Possible thread drift alert;

I find this discussion about real vs other names quite interesting in so far as "what is a real name". Usually taken to the one on your parents gave you, the one on your birth certificate, the one your local community knows you by or the one granted by a court and so on.

But really, it only has any legal significant in identifying you if (when?) you are charged with committing an illegal act. Any other time, you are free to use whatever name you wish to, change it daily if you wish.

Of course getting a credit card or buying a plane ticket or buying a boat or whatever have you is hard without using your "real name".

Are we going to add internet forums to this group of activities?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:51   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
Perfect! Sometimes a real struggle to find good railmeat around here. Usually have to go over to Wisconsin to find gals of your quality. Now I can definitely get that 45ft mast I've always wanted for my 23 foot boat...
Why do that to yourself when a second hull would work just as well?!?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote