Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 11:21   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: First solo sail on the ICW

Ask two sailors for their opinion, and you will get three opinions…or maybe more.

Have fun with your new boat!

CHEECHAKO's point about learning to use BOTH sails on a sloop is a good one.

Also, learn to reef your mainsail, it should have some reef points on it (almost all do) and get comfortable doing that by yourself in varying winds (not only in no wind or at the dock).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:24   #17

Boat: 1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK

To have the best balance and best experience (fun and learning) you should use both. If winds are under 10kts or so it is easy enough even single handed to handle both. If the winds are too high for your comfort level then you start taking some sail off. The break points will depend on your comfort level but think about something like this:

Genoa + full main up to 10 kts
Jib + full main up to 15 kts
Jib + reefed main up to 20 kts
reefed main only above 20 kts

Anyway that's the logical progression, change your wind speed breakpoints depending on your comfort.

BTW - the first time I went out I thought I'd just use the genoa alone and the winds came up over 10 kts and being new and genoa only was a big problem. Like others have said, you (or at least I) could not tack through the wind without getting blown back off. Makes sense to me now and that's why I use the above sail plan approach.
rdthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's nice that it's a masthead rig, but that larger driver jib is still going to drive the bow away from the wind going upwind.

You'll be lucky if you can point within 90 degrees of the wind if it's blowing at all with the jib alone
OK, thomm, let's agree to disagree. I have been doing this for the past 33 blinkin' years, and jib only DOES work VERY WELL upwind or esle I would not have reached my destinations and would always HAVE HAD to sail with both. Only a few degrees less than if I had the main up, too.

Back to the op, GIVE 'EM , ONE AT A TIME AND THEN BOTH, A TRY.

You did ask which would be easiest, didn't you?

Happy Holidays to all.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Mostly, it is "just do it." Find out for yourself. Do watch the bridges, do not be in a hurry, and do learn and use proper procedures. Do have a safe heater if you plan to overnight. I've not had a Catalina 22, but did have a Columbia 22 almost 50 years ago. It taught me a lot, sometimes easily, sometimes not. Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:49   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
OK, thomm, let's agree to disagree. I have been doing this for the past 33 blinkin' years, and jib only DOES work VERY WELL upwind or esle I would not have reached my destinations and would always HAVE HAD to sail with both. Only a few degrees less than if I had the main up, too.

Back to the op, GIVE 'EM , ONE AT A TIME AND THEN BOTH, A TRY.

You did ask which would be easiest, didn't you?

Happy Holidays to all.
Ok!

I raced for 15 years. I'm always thinking efficiency.

Why sail extra miles to get to your upwind destination trying to sail with jib only when you can use the main, take pressure off the rudder and the boat and arrive sooner.

And in racing you MUST arrive the fastest.

But while "cruising" I have left my sails in a crappy inefficient configuration because I was tired from lack of sleep, it was rough, and I didn't want to go forward to reef or change jibs, etc

In the main years of my racing I watched an old monohull come up to Pensacola Pass on the inside. This old bearded character in the vicinity of the tiller.

The jib had been flapping for about a mile before he got to the pass. All his sails were up.

When he made his turn out the pass and came onto his SSW course all sails were looking good. Trimmed even. I'm thinking he was going to be on that course for a few hundred miles.

It was a good lesson. A racer guy couldn't deal with that flapping jib for but a few seconds maybe
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:57   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

A long time ago I was learning in a 19' lightning and started with just the main. I quickly learned it really is not harder with 2 sails because you simply adjust them one at a time. I would urge you to start in a less restricted area than the ICW. You want a lot of space and little traffic about to allow for missteps. Kind of like staying off major highways when first learning to drive. Happy sailing.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:13   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: first solo sail on the ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You are best using both your sails. With the main only up you will find that the boat has more "weather helm"... where you have to pull the tiller to the windward side to keep the boat on track, thus dragging the rudder thru the water sideways. With the Jib only up, you will find that at times you cant turn the boat where you want to go. Proper balance between t he two is the best situation. ... and good for you to learn. Most people put the main up even if motoring though.... for stability.
Well said!

There's a good reason the boat was built with 2 sails. Proper balance and trim. Sailing solo doesn't mean sailing badly. Sure, if its windy, and I'm on a long run, I might just unroll the jib that day, I'm old and I get tired. But when the wind is fair, and the sun is shining, give me full sail, and I can go anywhere!

I do like to keep the main up when motoring (unless its flapping itself to death), in case the engine dies. Plus adds stability. Also, encourages me to shut off the engine and actually sail if the wind becomes favourable.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:30   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Mostly, it is "just do it." Find out for yourself. Do watch the bridges, do not be in a hurry, and do learn and use proper procedures. Do have a safe heater if you plan to overnight. I've not had a Catalina 22, but did have a Columbia 22 almost 50 years ago. It taught me a lot, sometimes easily, sometimes not. Enjoy!
I lost a post that said about the same thing. Have at it and try it. He could invest in Sea Tow or whatever. I wouldn't, someone with an outboard would probably pull him off a soft grounding with that boat. Why the ICW? He should learn to sail in a sound.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Ok!

Why sail extra miles to get to your upwind destination trying to sail with jib only when you can use the main, take pressure off the rudder and the boat and arrive sooner.
Perhaps we all might go back to mark's OP, where he asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark rocco mont View Post
... question if i were to sail with just one sail which would it be ..the main or the jib ? just until i feel comfortable...
Yes, you're all right about sail trim, flapping stuff and all the rest.

I was just tryin' to answer the question, not reinvent the wheel on sail trim.

My impression from his question is he has a new boat and is is planning to go out in some small section of the ICW, not from NJ to FL with bridges, locks and the like.

KISS. Please.

And for Mark, please buy this book, in addition to Royce's, it'll be the best $$ you ever spend:

Sail Trim Users Guide

Happy holidays.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:01   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Locks ?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:17   #26

Right Stu, kiss principal.

You would go with the main of course.

Have you ever heard of a sailboat that came with just a jib?

I forgot to mention that my last racing catamaran was a unirig. The jib was optional. I did buy one though for distance races. It was smaller than my queen size bed sheet but efficient with the main

This all goes back to the best way to learn sailing is with a small boat. Think Sunfish and Laser. No Jibs!

Here's my last racing cat. (Nacra F-17, old Inter 17) It was pretty hard though holding position on the start line with just the main, but by then my crew (my teenage son) for some reason got more interested in girls than sailboat racing

Notice though it does have a spinnaker.

This guy is sailing off the wind otherwise he would have his daggerboards down.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=nacr...DnzbBbtE4_M%3A

The best (most efficient) unirig sailboat though is the A Class Racing Catamaran

United States A-Class Catamaran Association

Check out the video. Seems the main is working ok. Not so sure what sailing with just a jib would do though. Check the mast prebend also just for fun.....

Now how would a boat get around that course with just the jib? KISS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nacra-inter-17-2.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	114322  
Old 04-12-2015, 15:54   #27

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Your C22 was designed for and has two sails. Learn to use it with both. After doing so you may want to experiment with using one for various conditions, but learn the way the designer intended first. I see you are in NC, which probably means you are serious about the ICW. Good. Read the posts responding to your inquiry; most are helpful, with some more specific or specialized than others. If a protected area with some length and breadth (e.g., a sound) is near and accessible, go for it. Also suggest knowing your keel depth and having an out board that you can use if you douse all sails. Maybe you will want to be able to lower them from the cockpit. Lots of choices, but select your own unless you have an instructor with you in spirit or reality. I still say, go for it.
Old 04-12-2015, 15:55   #28

This is video is one way to show someone that the mainsail is YOUR MAIN SAIL.

(and while you are at it checkout the mast rake, mast prebend, spreader rake, sail shape, skippers position, and mast rotation)

https://vimeo.com/139455209
Old 04-12-2015, 16:46   #29

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I have seen many boats do quite well with the jib only, but not mine. I can't keep the thing pointed on anything but a downwind run. I run the main only with winds over 20 when solo sailing. I think boats are different so try both just to learn the reaction.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:58   #30

Boat: Catalina 387

It's a C-22. Get out of the marina, launch the sails, go sailing.

You'll need some way to lock the tiller. Oftentimes this is called "crew." Or some bungees. After a while most folks realize that autopilots are the absolute shiznit for short-handed sailing.

OTOH, it's a C-22. Grab a friend, go out of the marina, launch the sails, go sailing.

As long as you don't do this in a hurricane, your results should be pleasant.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, sail