Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 10:14   #106

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Keep Willow, you have history.

I agree. And, even if you change your name, some other posting is sure to push you over the edge and you will "vent" again. (The voice of experience. LOL)

And, you can't keep changing your name. Be WILLOW (your daughter's name), but know you WILL be called Willow because that is YOUR NAME on this forum.
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:19   #107

Boat: too many

Since you are recovering from ACL surgery, you just might become a forum junkie like I have for the same reason of being a shut in. Once you choose a username, stay with that name even on new forums you join. You would not believe how many old friends have been able to track me down as "deckofficer", which I first used on the automotive forums I belong to. When I joined CF, I thought my username might be construed as a bit pretentious but thought so many folks go by Capt, that if I kept deckofficer, then folks in the industry would know where I come from. It has worked so well, I'm thinking of naming my next boat deckofficer, and have a cartoon depiction of me stenciled on the bow, dress whites, cover, and binoculars for above the waist, polka dotted boxers below.

Choose your username wisely, it will follow you and be your introduction in new anchorages for the rest of your cruising days.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:24   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Now DOJ is the favorite. It must be that european man thing. Thats Ok, my boat still loves me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:45   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Male sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMATURITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The irony being that 6 pages of responses trying (succeeding?) in making OP feel welcome is arguably in itself sexist......

.......If OP was a fella (and for all we actually know she maybe), the responses would have been shorter. probably 2 words. with the second word being "Off".....well, at least mine would have .[
So, are telling us you are well aquainted with that well known phrase that implies "sex" and "travel"?
Old 28-02-2012, 10:47   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Man up Cowgirl! If you want a real dose of sailing "reality" look into www.sailinganarchy.com. You'll come back here chastened.
Yes, they have a well used phrase for newbies that goes something like, "Show me your T*ts".

Very crude and rude.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:47   #111
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
FWIW, I do get my bottom smacked by the Mods now and again........................

Anyway, that's my final $5 and 27 cents on this thread .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You'll need more for a really good chastising, our rates have gone up.
For $8 and 32 cents I'll even get my whip out for him...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:55   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
If truth be told, I have had a ‘ grand’ laugh, many a time with the likes of David o Jersery. We actually share a similar sense of humor. I am a Maritimer who is an Accidental Tourist living in Quebec.

For thoses who don’t know, that means it is part of my heritage to make fun of myself, the ironies of life & make fun of EVERYONE & his DOG. We do not discriminate on gender, socio-economic status, age or otherwise. It is what it is.

The point which ' I think' got missed, was that ‘ I can dish it out as good as any man’, & when I did…not a lot of men were ‘ laughing ’ Anytime, anywhere, you want to ‘ talk’ about the male/female traits in tandem, I am GAME. ............
Well, welcome Willow, we knew you would wear your "big girl panties" well!
Old 28-02-2012, 11:03   #113

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Should I find it 'offensive' as a man that a post that starts with "Female Sailor's Request" get 110+ responses in just over 24 hours?

Yeah I see bias....but not in the same fashion as the OP states. Interesting to see though.....
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 11:10   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
Should I find it 'offensive' as a man that a post that starts with "Female Sailor's Request" get 110+ responses in just over 24 hours?

Yeah I see bias....but not in the same fashion as the OP states. Interesting to see though.....
There is nothing new about men trying to convince women that gender prejudice is non-existent or that they (women) are over reacting.
Old 28-02-2012, 11:12   #115

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970

Cruising Couple

It would drive me crazy to keep willow as a user name. My daughter is well suited to the name, NOT ME. I cannot imagine why I used it in the first place.

Can the internal tecky’s change it? I am a mac user for ‘ good reason’

Dear CF Tecky : I am envious of the skills you posses.

Could you please change my user name to Yachtmops : not because it is gender neutral ( I think the “ mops’, part is a dead give away ) but its ME.

& If so, could you delete willow & replace with yachtmops on my existing posts, so not to confuse anyone I have offended to date.

Thank you
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 11:42   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
Cruising Couple

It would drive me crazy to keep willow as a user name. My daughter is well suited to the name, NOT ME. I cannot imagine why I used it in the first place.

Can the internal tecky’s change it? I am a mac user for ‘ good reason’

Dear CF Tecky : I am envious of the skills you posses.

Could you please change my user name to Yachtmops : not because it is gender neutral ( I think the “ mops’, part is a dead give away ) but its ME.

& If so, could you delete willow & replace with yachtmops on my existing posts, so not to confuse anyone I have offended to date.

Thank you

YachtMop:

I would send you a PM (Private Message) on this, however, you are not set up to receive PM's.

You can contact a Moderator by choosing the MORE tab at the top of the main screen .... "Meet the Moderators." Choose one that has posted on this thread, so they will be familiar. S/he will be able to tell you if your screen name can be changed. If it can be done, it will most likely take one of the webmasters to facilitate this. However, they may have a policy against changing screen names. However, you will not lose to much "history" .... I think you only have about 13 posts.

You can just re-register with your desired screen name.

I hope this helps.
Darby
Old 28-02-2012, 11:47   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Your username has been changed. Now... about my floors....
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 11:54   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Your username has been changed. Now... about my floors....
Now that is efficiency! WOW.

Congratulations Yachtmops!
Old 28-02-2012, 11:57   #119

13 posts and 7 of them are related to gender. I read the non-gender related posts as well. So, who is actually making a big deal out of this? Look at my UserName. Most people assume this is a 'Taming of the Shrew' reference. However, it's not. Whether I'm a male or female is irrelevant.

I once had an acquitance (now a good friend) say to me; "I don't know if you're aware that I'm gay".

My reply was; "I don't know if you're aware that I neither care, nor is that really relavent to the conversation. And by the way, I have never in my life felt compelled to notify someone that I was heterosexual".

I've never felt the need to preceed a post with "I'm a heterosexual married man who boats with my wife and I'm having a problem with my alternator".

If you don't make a big deal of it nobody else will. I say keep the username you like and post your questions. In turn, try to answer those posted by others when possible, and try to pay it forward when you can.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:01   #120

BTW- the point is..... gender, like sexual orientation really has little to do with sailing and cruising. NOt that I was inferring anything from the post. More of another example of irrelevance. You could just as easily say "I like Blue...and I'm having a problem with my alternator."
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote