Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 12:25   #46

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

I think one of the requirements for exposing yourself on a public forum is to have an exceptionally thick skin regardless of gender.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 12:27   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Uh.. I don't have anything in particular against her Newt, so why'd ya want me to shoot her??
After learning she's a delivery skip I'd be careful about shooting her. I bet she has more than one weapon in those top boots and offshore jacket...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 15:27   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
I am laughing…. I think my post got lost in ‘ translation’, or at least the point did on ‘how much does it cost to run a women’, Moving on now….

Gord May, I have not been discriminated on CF because I have not posted. I have been reading the forums for two years and taking notes! I’ve stayed in the closet because I have found that the sentiment on CF filled with toooo many stereotypical slights on women. As a new boat owner with the added ‘ female’ factor, it seemed to me a ‘ tad ‘ bit risky to ask ‘ stupid questions’. ......
Welcome aboard CF, please start posting more so we can get to know you better - it is after all, the only way we get to know each other here.

Time prevents me writing more today except to say that here of CF most of us either welcome "stupid questions" or at least treat them seriously.... well maybe not every time but mostly we do especially if they are from a new boat owner.

I suspect you will find the risk is more perception than reality so post your questions, give us your insights, share your sailing experiences and enjoy the ups and downs of owning and using a boat be it sail, motor, oar or whatever. Consider the water here deep enough to jump in without injury and warm enough to learn to swim (err sail...).

Finally a brief (and perhaps sexist?) comment, many of here (especially myself) like to give answers - unfortunately at times, they can be stupid answers, sometimes far more dumb than the questions but one does after all, have to live in an imperfect world - it behooves all of us to try improving it as best we can. Or go sailing.........
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 17:17   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Please keep posting. I'm sorry (for the collective group) that you don't feel completely comfortable here. I think we can all say that each of us has some folks they really like here, and others... Anyway, if someone insults you, please don't take it that everyone here feels the same way. I tend to ignore the threads that get out of hand.

Also remember that there really aren't any dumb questions - even if someone tells you that it is. We've ALL done or said something stupid - it just happens. Just last weekend we did a 2 hour sail, and coming into the pier, we found our fenders still deployed... What morons.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 17:32   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Yeah, go ahead and shoot willow... those that can't play nice, well we learn to ignore them. There are many gentleman and gentlewomen sailors around, and most of them know a lot more than I do.
Big YUP on that. If you can't get a straight answer to a straight question - ignore. I raced for 18 years on a Heritage One Ton. 10 regular roataing crew & 4 of them women. Some of the best sailors. Not always the storngest but as capable as anyone. Two were tacticians. All of us did all jobs at one time or another. Light air days the ladies worked the foredeck to keep the lard-asses in mid-ship. Never had to look over anybody's shoulder to check work.

We are about to head out cruising our 58 foot Camper. Couldn't do it without my wife.

Sometimes, when I post, I wonder if anyone was listening. - just people. Keep asking & offer your expeience too. NICE BOAT!
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:07   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Just last weekend we did a 2 hour sail, and coming into the pier, we found our fenders still deployed... What morons.
Oh! That was you, Bill. I think we saw you out there!

(Please excuse the thread drift. I also think that willow should keep posting, even if she's not granted immunity.)
Old 27-02-2012, 18:12   #52

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970

Newt.

I was not a delivery Skipper; I was a crew member, on Nirvana. Sorry, no weapons to be found in my weather gear">foul weather gear, after all, ‘ I AM A CANADIAN.’

There is no great mystery here to solve and I seriously doubt that utilizing a physco- analytical approach will shed much light to my ‘ motives’ for posting today.

The number of people who view this site, I believe, far outnumbers the total membership of CF. In my mind; this does raise the question as to why the majority of users of this site remain in the ‘closet ’. I don’t have an answer for that question, but I did put forth a perspective from a female who has remained in the ‘ closet’ for the past two years.

Sorry, if I rocked the ‘ boat’ too much or upset the status quo for some of the CF members, then I would just IGNORE me in the future. The rest of the members, thank you for your support, sentiments, feedback & suggestions. I really appreciated it.

True, Bill Trips design is not only beautiful, but she is built & designed to meet the ever changing & challenging conditions offshore. She has proved herself beyond reproach & brought us home safely & she’s FAMILY now. She may be the only B-40 that has come into port with a stainless steel wok up the mast, but she did it with grace !
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:55   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
Newt.

I was not a delivery Skipper; I was a crew member, on Nirvana. Sorry, no weapons to be found in my foul weather gear, after all, ‘ I AM A CANADIAN.’
Er, Willow, don't stereotype us Canadians. I'm very comfortable around firearms, but then, I'm from Alberta (sort of like Texas north for you in the U. S. of A., except we have more oil, more cattle and our women are shure prettier). Heck, I can even introduce you to a bunch of women who are pretty good with their guns too.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:23   #54

Hi Willow I'm glad you sound like you are tough & will hang in there. CF has a great bunch of people who give great info. I hid out behind a gender neutral title for a short bit (my first time on internet forum) but gave that up to be myself. because I trust people here. There are people of all experiences and opinions. I take the info I want & leave the rest behind. I love the banter & jokes. I also offer any info I can give-I know we females can hold our end of the boat knowledge too!

If I wasn't married I was gonna use the thread of How much a woman costs... to put up a For Rent sign to see what kind of $$ I can get!! I cook & can fix a head!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:27   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm a Canuck and do not feel stereotyped but do occasionally feel slighted as a male by comments and undertones from our immunity seeker.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g
Hi Willow I'm glad you sound like you are tough & will hang in there. CF has a great bunch of people who give great info. I have hidden out behind a gender neutral title for a short bit but gave that up to be myself. There are people of all experiences and opinions. I take the info I want & leave the rest behind. I love the banter & jokes. I also offer any info I can give-I know we females can hold our end of the boat knowledge too!

If I wasn't married I was gonna use the thread of How much a woman costs... to put up a For Rent sign to see what I can get!! I cook & can fix a head!
Oh, oh!! Just read my post over. I'm sure I will hear about my choice of words. Maybe I should have used the word toilet in my last sentence. My bad
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:30   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

{I cook & can fix a head!}

I like you already, to bad for me I am married, my wife can fix my head but not my tollet.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:32   #58
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Willow, keep on posting and asking questions. I know it's a cliche but there is no such thing as a dumb question. Just dumb answers. If you have the question in your mind, you can bet your Canadian dollars that some one else is thinking the same thing. I have given a lot of seminars on boating topics over the last 40 years and there is always some one who says, I know this is a dumb question but.......? And after they ask the question, you discover that half the audience wanted to ask the same question.

And As "a big dumb male" I am sure that I am as guilty as any man of saying stupid things that offend women (at least my wife has said so from time to time, but after 45 years we're still married so I must be doing something right.) But I think the thing that opened my mind the most was in the 80's as part of my Coast Guard duties I was the civil rights officer at a large base, and part of that meant dealing with discrimination, sexual harassment , and just plain harassment. So I resolved to keep an open mind and a shut mouth and listen to what the women (as well as all the males) had to say. Frankly I was astounded at how insensitive we males can be, thinking we are just being funny or provocative or flirting, or sometimes just stupid. Of course conversely I found that woman can say some pretty hurtful things too, but usually they were in response to something said. I also learned that the worst kind of discrimination is plain old ignorance. That is, not realizing that what you said was very hurtful, but then trying to defend it afterwards instead of just saying I'M SORRY, and meaning it.

So what I am saying is ignore the clods who say stupid things in their ignorance, and relish the advice given by those who are truly trying to help. Fortunately there are far more people here who want to be helpful than those who aren't.

By the way, I love Vancouver. Beautiful city, beautiful people. Last time I was there I parked in a garage, and suddenly realized I didn't have any Canadian dollars to put in the meter. A fellow walking by asked what's the matter, so I asked where the nearest bank was so I could get some Canadian money. He said don't worry about it, handed me a dollar, and as he was walking away said enjoy your stay. Frankly I was dumbfounded. As I said, nice people.
Old 27-02-2012, 20:22   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Well, I think I would have "gotten it" but am part of the group that doesn't follow the How much do women cost to run thread. Looked in the beginning, just because DOJ is arguably the most irreverent, off the wall, push the limits member that has managed to not get banned from the forum; is usually entertaining and, though he may say things that initially may seem bigoted, misogynistic, what ever, unless I am seriously mistaken it is just part of poking fun at anything or anyone. No one is immune. Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

Sure there are some members that would not support the ERA and I have seen a few posts that were not exactly complimentary to women, usually in a subtle sort of way. You know what, I have also read a number of posts that I could have found insulting to my own personal politics or beliefs. But like someone said, it's the internet. You will meet all sorts: good, bad, kind, insulting, polite, rude, smart or dumb as a rock. Engage your mental filters and ignore the threads, posts and members that aren't your cup of tea. It's what I try to do and I have learned as much here in a couple of years as I have thirty years on the water. This forum is better than most DIY boat fixer books at the store and it's free!

By the way, there are no stupid questions but it can be annoying for a newbie to come on, read nothing on the forum archives and ask, for the ten thousandth time, the same question. It is obvious you have done your homework and I would be quite surprised if anything you ask brought on any flaming. If I see such I will personally chastise that individual in the most severe manner. Then I will report him (or her) to the mods and add that person to my ignore list.

So now, what is it you want to ask about boats? Anything broke you don't know how to fix? I may not know how to fix it myself but I'll bet I could tell you who on the forum to ask.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 20:35   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Willow, just go ahead and participate. What's the worst that could happen?

I've found that in these forums (and Cruiser's Forum is one of the gentle ones), you generally reap what you sow. There may be the occasional jerk, but we are all free to ignore these types if we prefer.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote