Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 18:52   #1

Feedback welcome on my future sailing plan

We're retiring next year and seriously considering buying a catamaran to sail around the world for 5 years (or until we're ready to buy a home and settle down). We're currently renting since we want to travel for a few years to kick off our retirement. Our other options we're considering: rving, world cruises, or airbnb'ing it around the world.

Here's my plan, all feedback is welcome.

1. Spring 2019: Sign up for a week long ASA certification "vacation". Here's one in the Grenadines.

2. Summer 2019: Do a couple bare boat charters in the Mediterranean and Caribbean, maybe take another advanced class or two. See if we think we could make it a lifestyle and not just a vacation.

3. Late 2019: Assuming we love sailing by this point, put 10% down on an X5 by Xquisite Yachts. I like how they are all decked out with everything we'd need, and the size is about what I'd like (who knows what my opinion will be on boats after I get more sailing experience, but that's what I'm dreaming about right now). It is expensive though, does the 10%/yr in maintenance costs guideline taper a bit on the high end?

4. early 2021: After boat is built, have it delivered to wherever we want to start our sailing adventure and live aboard and travel until we're sick of traveling. Pick up crew randomly as part of the adventure. Hopefully convince family and friends to visit now and then.

5. 2026 ish: Resale boat and recoup a good chunk of the initial investment. Maybe switch to RV'ing for a few years if we're not ready to buy a house yet.

A little background: I'm a 40yo male, husband in early 50's. We're trying to keep our yearly expenses while traveling below $200k. I'm handy, but only willing to do the easy maintenance myself.

We never considered this as a retirement option until my favorite RV youtubers - The Wynns - switched to sailing. Starting subscribing to other sailing youtube channels, and finally really caught the bug when we were in Tahiti earlier this year and saw all of the cats floating by our bungalow. We want to sail to the Mediterranean, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Fiji, Tahiti, West Coast, Alaska, Iceland, and Scandinavia. Probably not in that order.

Neither of us have any sailing experience. I was in the Navy though, so I know I don't get seasick and I love being on the water. Husband is more excited about the destinations, so we'll see how we like sailing once we take the courses.
EricVentures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:18   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Feedback welcome on my future sailing plan

Well if you have enough money to risk on an around the world sailing adventure, go for it.

In my opinion the sailing/cruising life sounds and looks great at first. But then reality sets in: high winds, breakdowns, rolly anchorages, limited boat yard help, .... You will spend probably north of $1.5 million and although it might not cost 10% per year to maintain, it will cost a bunch. The round trip cost for purchase, upkeep for 5 years and resale losses is a minimum of 3/4 million maybe closer to a million $.

So you have to have money and an unwavering commitment to make this work.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31   #3

I did some rough calculations already and came up with very similar numbers. $750k-$900k was my estimate for the total cost of a round the world sailing adventure for 5 years. A big chunk of that is based on resale value of the boat, which is hard to predict 7 years out, and I have no idea what insurance rates are for boats.

I could cut that number down considerably by going with a less luxurious catamaran, which we very well may do. But we can afford the previously mentioned numbers even if it's towards the top of our budget, and you only live once...

Why did a pick the X5? I would barely need to add anything to it, with other cheaper boats I'd have to add a water maker and other blue water items I'm probably not aware of. My partner wants a scuba setup, and we want solar/gen. Plus I was hoping since it's new for the first year or two the maintenance needs would be minimal? Are those good reasons to go for something like an x5?

I wasn't really surprised to find out that boating around the world is the most expensive option of all the different traveling ideas we came up with.

I'm trying not to glamorize what sailing is like too much. I'm hopeful that a handful of sailing classes and bareboat charters will give me enough experience to determine if those costs are worth it before we commit to having a boat built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
But then reality sets in: high winds, breakdowns, rolly anchorages, limited boat yard help, ....

The round trip cost for purchase, upkeep for 5 years and resale losses is a minimum of 3/4 million maybe closer to a million $.

David
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I think: go ahead with the first part of the plan (early on into your point 3). Then, 'if you like it' - come and ask the other questions.

Life will solve many of the 'questions' as you go - your health, your skills, you liking of it or not, your partner being still in the same boat, or not, etc.

You have a good plan, just do not over-plan it. Actual doing things is always very liquid at the edges, and time is flying, so probably just go for it, and see what ensues.

We both know the proof of the pudding is .... This skips the cooking part altogether. WRONG. Forget about what it WILL taste, go and cook your heart out.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:11   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW I have been on the X5, proto. A very very decent craft. Comfortable & classy interior, good finish, etc. Plenty going for it.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:17   #6

If you buy a new boat, you should expect problems. Maybe a lot of problems. I would make sure to do a thorough shake-down for at least a month in an area where you can easily get parts, labor, and warranty service. If you step 4 is to deliver it to a place that has all these, then all is good. I would not want to deliver a new boat to a remote location.

Another option that will most likely save time, money, and headaches would be to buy a gently used boat (2-5 years) that has already had most of the initial issues worked out.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12   #7

Thanks for the feedback barnakiel. I'm very aware of how fluid my plans are at this point, was just looking for any glaringly obvious mistakes or things I hadn't considered yet. Thanks for looking over my rough outline of a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Actual doing things is always very liquid at the edges, and time is flying, so probably just go for it, and see what ensues...
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
If you buy a new boat, you should expect problems. Maybe a lot of problems.
That is not what I wanted to hear! But thanks for sharing.

I was hoping with a luxury build a shorter shakedown would be required. And I was planning on having it thoroughly inspected before the final payment and visiting in person.

If I remember correctly xquisite has a shop in Florida, maybe it would make sense to have them deliver the boat there first. That transatlantic crossing from South Africa would be a decent shakedown ahead of time, and then while we piddle around the Florida coast their repair shop won't be too far away.

Is that how big 50' cats are delivered, they sail them to the destination? Or are they loaded on to a big boat hauler. No idea.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVentures View Post
That is not what I wanted to hear! But thanks for sharing.

I was hoping with a luxury build a shorter shakedown would be required. And I was planning on having it thoroughly inspected before the final payment and visiting in person.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Eric, Raindog was right. Boats are not cars. They made 1,800 of my boat. New boat owners were astonished, I say astonished, that everything wasn't perfect!!! Loose hose clamps (yes, YOU, as the skipper, needs to go tighten every single one of them, it is YOUR responsibility), incorrect wiring (mast wiring was mostly identified, only three items but wired backwards), and other stuff. And this was on a production boat.

Please, don't fool yourself that anyone, including the builder, cares as much about your boat as you will.

I agree with b, good basic plan, get the first hump over with before you obsess too much on the rest. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:44   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Rving was quite a bit more expensive for us than cruising was, but we did find a new place that we like a lot to live until we die that way.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45   #11

Quote: "I was hoping with a luxury build a shorter shakedown would be required. And I was planning on having it thoroughly inspected before the final payment and visiting in person."

Probably a misconception stemming from having bought cars in the past. Boats are NOT mass produced in the numbers cars are, and EVERY boat that "comes off the line" is in that respect more like a "prototype" or an "experimental" model.

I do believe there is always wisdom in letting someone else incur the tribulations and expense of "shaking down" a boat. There is a very high probability when a novice buys a brand new boat ex factory, that he will inject many, many thousands of dollars, get fed up with it all, and then dispose of the boat, within a fairly short span of years, at a price SUBSTANTIALLY less than the new boats sticker price. And by that time, a LOT of good outfit will essential be thrown in for free.

A further consideration is that once you get above 30-odd feet in length, boats become a "system of systems" so complex that you need to have considerable boating experience to be able to "shake them down" efficiently and effectively.

Buying a cruising boat is not like buying a RAM 350, driving it out of the showroom and blowing it down Route 66 :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:08   #12

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "I was hoping with a luxury build a shorter shakedown would be required. And I was planning on having it thoroughly inspected before the final payment and visiting in person."

Probably a misconception stemming from having bought cars in the past. Boats are NOT mass produced in the numbers cars are, and EVERY boat that "comes off the line" is in that respect more like a "prototype" or an "experimental" model.

I do believe there is always wisdom in letting someone else incur the tribulations and expense of "shaking down" a boat. There is a very high probability when a novice buys a brand new boat ex factory, that he will inject many, many thousands of dollars, get fed up with it all, and then dispose of the boat, within a fairly short span of years, at a price SUBSTANTIALLY less than the new boats sticker price. And by that time, a LOT of good outfit will essential be thrown in for free.

A further consideration is that once you get above 30-odd feet in length, boats become a "system of systems" so complex that you need to have considerable boating experience to be able to "shake them down" efficiently and effectively.

Buying a cruising boat is not like buying a RAM 350, driving it out of the showroom and blowing it down Route 66 :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds gets it right. If you have unlimited funds and access to high end marine facilities you will not have to do much other than press “blend” and add the tequila.

Short of that be prepared for sweat, frustration, waiting, boredom, and terror peppered with occasional awe.

Good news is as soon as you get the new boat “right” the next owner will be ready to enjoy it.

My strategy? Get the two-four year old model that the first dreamer has poured everything into and quit.

You’ll save a ton of money and frustration.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I agree with b, good basic plan, get the first hump over with before you obsess too much on the rest.
HAHA I wish. I've been a crazy over planner my entire life. Spreadsheets and endless research are fun anyway

I'll post a follow up once we finish our first class. Btw found a better one, we're thinking of doing the 10 day catamaran on here: https://www.ltdsailing.com/caribbean...ailing-school/
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28   #14

Contact Tamas or Sara on the X5 website. They do X5 charters as well, an excellent way to"try before you buy". It's up to you whether you sail accross the pond or have the new boat delivered via Large boat. Tamas and Sara spend two weeks on the boat with each new owner in order to go through all the systems etc, and are very experienced sailors, ready and able to assist in all ways.
Best of luck with your plans.
Orinoco Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:41   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
TrentePieds gets it right. If you have unlimited funds and access to high end marine facilities you will not have to do much other than press “blend” and add the tequila.

Short of that be prepared for sweat, frustration, waiting, boredom, and terror peppered with occasional awe.

Good news is as soon as you get the new boat “right” the next owner will be ready to enjoy it.

My strategy? Get the two-four year old model that the first dreamer has poured everything into and quit.

You’ll save a ton of money and frustration.
These guys are giving you good advice. You might think about something in the 40-45 foot range. A ton of room for a couple. Save money too.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing