Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 17:24   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
I believe the article I saw said “scratched” into it’s back.
Regardless be it “carved”, “scratched”, or “scraped”; still unacceptable.

I stand by the assessment that the person or persons are deranged and deserving of prosecution to the full extent of the law.
Well, I think you need to be careful with the term "deranged". Could be grounds for an insanity defense.
Old 12-01-2021, 17:27   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Having swum with manatees at Blue Springs I can personally attest to the fact that they are not disturbed by the presence of people nearby. It is obvious that any above average law school student could beat a prosecutor who is stupid enough to actually bring charges. I repeat, this is just more fake news.
Last count there where over 400 in the spring run @ Blue Springs..

While there are manatees in the Spring there is no swimming/diving..thats Blue Springs policy.

However at Hamossa Springs,where this incident occurred,there are private charter groups that entertain “Swimming with the Manatees” programs.

https://www.snorkelwithmanatees.com/soft-encounters/

Clay AA3JY
s/v Tango
Halifax Harbor
Daytona Beach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A9AB2BB-AB4D-4D6C-A760-C349636B3476.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	230331   Click image for larger version

Name:	7181AEEC-B352-4873-BBF7-73E867165B57.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	230332  

AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 18:12   #33

Send a message via AIM to cynthia-m

Remember, "You can't believe everything you read and only half of what you hear." Never more true than today.
If any of this is true, and certainly crazier things are going on, I have no sympathy for anyone who uses animals for their political agenda and can only hope the Manatee who endured this insult will seek revenge!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T: A distant memory seldom practiced by the few.
cynthia-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 19:52   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I think the biggest damage to the manatee ( if only algae damage) might be the shame the label brings.
Surprised it hasnt karked already
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:41   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
While standing neck deep cleaning scum from my waterline I was nuzzled by a manatee a number of times as he followed me around the boat eating the scum that floated free. Am I guilty ?

The law reads: "It is unlawful for any person, at any time, intentionally or negligently, to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb any manatee."

I wasn't there, so can't say whether you are guilty or not. By your description, it doesn't sound like it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:53   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Some controversy on how this incident was reported:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...da/ar-BB1cHjaY

Note that it wasn't Mark who came up with the word "carved"; so let's keep it respectful please.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-01-2021, 22:28   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Apologies if my post was interpreted as disrespectful of the manatee.
I'm with the testicular removal crowd if there was any carving done.
Random cruelty is despicable.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 03:56   #38

Imagine if someone wrote “ help “. “ save me”. Or “ global warming is killing me”
The news story would have been very different. As well as many responses to it.
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 05:25   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Scroll down and watch ‘em @ Blue Springs ‘Live Cam’.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ing-state-park
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 05:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Unfortunately these animals are killed/maimed by props of boats failing to slow down in known areas where these slow moving animals exist..

https://www.thedodo.com/boats-injure...368810374.html
Well, obviously, the people who do that, are deranged and crazy, as well.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:34   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The law reads: "It is unlawful for any person, at any time, intentionally or negligently, to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb any manatee."
The interpretation of this law in Florida is very well established. If they approach you, you are okay. If they come close, and you reach out to touch them, you are okay. If you approach them, or swim after them, then you can and (if caught) WILL be charged.

What's more, if you do more than just touch them, you will be charged. Scratching any sort of message in the algae that grows on them would definitely be chargeable. As would the case of the woman who, a couple of years back, climbed onto the back of one for a ride. In these cases it doesn't matter if the manatee swam right up against you. You are not allowed to do more than sort of gently stroke their skin.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 06:10   #42

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Warning thread drift

I used to pick magic mushrooms near the Manatee River in the 70s.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 13-01-2021, 07:52   #43

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The crime in this case is simply Endangerment and Harassment.
Disturbing manatees in winter is a life threatening action because conserving energy by remaining still, is their only defense against killing cold.
It was never about what injury the skin of this manatee suffered because marine mammal scientists know manatees have very strong skin and an incredible immunity system usually capable of healing very deep cuts from propellers.
Usually...because the overall physical condition plays an important part.
Winter cold stresses manatees and likely reduces recovery from injury.
Since this event, I’ve spoken with a lot of manatee experts. The consensus is that this particular manatee will survive this crime. Further, that it most likely involved restraining the manatee while it was done. In addition, the disruption most likely was to several manatees rest based on observed manatee behavior in winter.
The crime was not simply about how the lettering was done. As to the issue of wound infection. Any of the attending manatee doctors would have transported this manatee to a manatee hospital immediately if required. This is not to say no serious injury occurred. Manatee are very intelligent and learn where it is safe to rest. Will this incident now change their thinking about the safety of this spring and result in an increased risk of death from cold? Will the trauma of resting disruption and likely physical restraint result in the death of this manatee from cold stress? You just can’t ask a manatee to swim over to the manatee doctors so they can do a thorough physical exam. Removing this manatee would cause injury to the whole group. It takes a half dozen big strong people to get them into a rescue sling and is extremely dangerous to the health of any manatee.
I’ve posted why biologically different species are critical to the efforts of science to preserve our chances of survival. I’ve posted how manatee immune systems played the critical role in the development of a vaccine for papilloma. How we need to learn more about their lung exchange capacity which is 90% vs 10% in humans. I’m not going to ask the moderators to remove personal attacks on me because I simply don’t care. I do hope my posts encourage some to learn more about all the other species on and in the sea and to think about how their survival is linked to our own. Thus...
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his “The bandits left this way Kimosabi “ manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 07:59   #44

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
The U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service is seeking any information on the person responsible for carving TRUMP on the back of a manatee spotted near Blue Hole Spring in the Homosassa River.
Federal Law provides for financial rewards in such cases. Additional rewards will soon follow from other groups.
A $5,000 reward is also posted by The Center for Biological Diversity. Org
Please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Office in Jacksonville.
Or Save The Manatee in Maitland FL.
Please be assured your confidentiality will be respected by them.
The perpetrators of this crime will be pursued by Federal Authorities and brought to Federal Court for this truly despicable act.
Yet another sad day in our nation.
Captain Mark and his outraged manatee crew.
Horribly Cruel...
However I'm NOT surprised. He and the Administration of Cruelty and Fear that he has Lead
The Ugly Truth‼️🇺🇸🇺🇸
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 09:05   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
The crime in this case is simply Endangerment and Harassment.
Disturbing manatees in winter is a life threatening action because conserving energy by remaining still, is their only defense against killing cold.
It was never about what injury the skin of this manatee suffered because marine mammal scientists know manatees have very strong skin and an incredible immunity system usually capable of healing very deep cuts from propellers.
Usually...because the overall physical condition plays an important part.
Winter cold stresses manatees and likely reduces recovery from injury.
Since this event, I’ve spoken with a lot of manatee experts. The consensus is that this particular manatee will survive this crime. Further, that it most likely involved restraining the manatee while it was done. In addition, the disruption most likely was to several manatees rest based on observed manatee behavior in winter.
The crime was not simply about how the lettering was done. As to the issue of wound infection. Any of the attending manatee doctors would have transported this manatee to a manatee hospital immediately if required. This is not to say no serious injury occurred. Manatee are very intelligent and learn where it is safe to rest. Will this incident now change their thinking about the safety of this spring and result in an increased risk of death from cold? Will the trauma of resting disruption and likely physical restraint result in the death of this manatee from cold stress? You just can’t ask a manatee to swim over to the manatee doctors so they can do a thorough physical exam. Removing this manatee would cause injury to the whole group. It takes a half dozen big strong people to get them into a rescue sling and is extremely dangerous to the health of any manatee.
I’ve posted why biologically different species are critical to the efforts of science to preserve our chances of survival. I’ve posted how manatee immune systems played the critical role in the development of a vaccine for papilloma. How we need to learn more about their lung exchange capacity which is 90% vs 10% in humans. I’m not going to ask the moderators to remove personal attacks on me because I simply don’t care. I do hope my posts encourage some to learn more about all the other species on and in the sea and to think about how their survival is linked to our own. Thus...
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his “The bandits left this way Kimosabi “ manatees.

Wow! What an interesting and informative post. Thanks for sharing this; I sure learned some new things about manatees.
Walt Whitman