Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 10:02   #61

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Fake Circumnavigations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It's a pejorative term for a white woman. Therefore it is racist.
Not to mention, a wee bit sexist too.

Ummm, while it's certainly a perjorative term, though both useful and potentially accurate, it is exactly the opposite of a racist term, if 'racism' is, as usually defined, the imposition of an individual's traits (either real or imagined) onto members of an entire race or group. In other words, no one's saying 'all white women are karens'; some are saying 'many karens are white women'

As for being 'sexist', I've seen the term used for females, males, and people of all imaginable skin shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Troll: 1

Cruisers Forum: 0

We've allowed a troll (who's long since gone) start us arguing about his interpretation of a circumnavigation and digressed into an argument about social meaning and implications of the slang term "Karen".
Isn't that SOP for CF?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 12:31   #62

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
it is exactly the opposite of a racist term, if 'racism' is, as usually defined, the imposition of an individual's traits (either real or imagined) onto members of an entire race or group. In other words, no one's saying 'all white women are karens'; some are saying 'many karens are white women'
I don't think you have that correct at all. Racism is singling out any racial or ethnic group for any purpose - to ascribe traits, confer benefits, discriminate against, etc, etc. In this case they've used a decidedly WASPish female name that is supposed to be evocative of a shrill, self-important, demanding woman who thinks her position in the PTA, or her husband's job gives her some sort of elevated status. In calling someone a "Karen" you are then ascribing the traits (imagined) of an entire group upon an individual - it doesn't matter if this individual does not fit that demographic mould. If I was to call you a (insert the racial epithet of your choice here), it would not make it any less racist if your racial/ethnic background did not match the slur.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 14:22   #63

CF is the most off-topic forum I've ever seen. Fortunately, the sheer volume of traffic here means there's still lots of good information, too.

I'm not complaining, mind you.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:18   #64

Joshua Slocum was the first person ever to traverse the globe entirely by himself. He did it from April 1895 to June 1898 in an old, single-masted sloop he rebuilt and christened the Spray, barely 36 feet long and a mere 14 feet wide. No Engine

During the course of his journey, Slocum was chased by pirates and accosted by hostile natives, buffeted by giant waves and blown about by fearsome gales and blinding rain and snow. He also visited with a King and dined on a Pacific island with the widow of famed Scottish novelist Robert Louis Stevenson.

Slocum carried a rifle and a shotgun with him as well as a box of tacks. Food was stored in barrels
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:07   #65

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Is this a real problem?

It sounds like an attempt at gatekeeping.

Sure if someone is trying for a record IE youngest solo nonstop circumnavigation then there will be a list of qualifying factors.

But if I see a cruiser leave a US port, and show up a year later via Thailand with passport stamps in Panama, Tahiti, and
Madagascar, I'm going to assume they circumnavigated until proven otherwise.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:08   #66

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
Drying docking the boat, flying home for 6 months, then flying back means there was no circumnavigation
Well it seems pretty clear that the consensus is that zamber is a butthead.

As a thought exercise, how much leaving the boat is okay? Is going grocery shopping in town okay? How about a 100 mile sightseeing tour? A 200 mile trip to a hospital? A flight home for a funeral? Does the reason you left the boat matter?

In my head, if the boat is in the water and those claiming to circumnavigate where aboard every time it moved all the way around the planet then they are circumnavigators. I'm okay with asterisks. Yes, yes, Tania Aebi had a crew or perhaps a passenger aboard for 85 miles. I've had enough people on board who made my life more difficult to call her a circumnavigator and give her an asterisk.

As for "Karen," I'm sorry for all those with loved ones who carry that name. I have so many friends in the culinary industry that I'm not giving that up as a pejorative. Not giving up "Ken" either. Just pull up your big girl panties (you too Ken) and move on.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 15:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Ah yes, great gatekeeper of circumnavigations.

Do all records need to be forwarded to you for approval before we can state we have completed a circumnavigation?
My thought exactly. “Oh wondrous confirmation lord, how thou bless my voyage”. Who cares?

LLL
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 15:20   #68

It’s akin to the IrionButt association for motorcycles. You have to submit tons of receipts to prove something. My son and I when he was 19 rode two m/c’s from Key West to Deadhorse, back to Key West. We know we did it n who cares about the “certificate “.
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 13:45   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
It’s akin to the IrionButt association for motorcycles. You have to submit tons of receipts to prove something. My son and I when he was 19 rode two m/c’s from Key West to Deadhorse, back to Key West. We know we did it n who cares about the “certificate “.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Some of us do things for the experience and everything that goes along with that. It's as hard for us to understand the folks like the OP, who apparently only do things for the recognition from others, as it apparently is for those folks to understand us.

Sounds like a very cool trip with your son btw, a lifetime of memories I'm sure.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 01:37   #70

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. Some of us do things for the experience and everything that goes along with that. It's as hard for us to understand the folks like the OP, who apparently only do things for the recognition from others, as it apparently is for those folks to understand us.

Sounds like a very cool trip with your son btw, a lifetime of memories I'm sure.

Spot on Rob and Lizzard!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 02:04   #71

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

What if you do a quick lap of Antarctica.
Old 19-09-2021, 02:45   #72

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Looks like the OP went for a RTW in his anger Wondering what kind of "proof" he might present when he'll be back
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 02:53   #73

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Looks like the OP went for a RTW in his anger Wondering what kind of "proof" he might present when he'll be back
More likely a RTW of his back yard.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 18:44   #74

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

The OP has put forth a FAKE tirade of anger, or if real, should not drive a car.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 19:58   #75

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

USCGC Eastwind WAGB-279
In October 1960, as part of Operation Deep Freeze, she departed Boston, passed through the Panama Canal, crossed the Pacific, visited New Zealand and McMurdo sound. Leaving Antarctica, she traveled the Indian Ocean, came through the Suez Canal, crossed the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to return home in May 1961. This tour made the Eastwind the first cutter ever to circumnavigate the globe.
Interesting tidbit: they had to use all the crew's payroll cash to pay Egypt to transit the Suez Canal
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation