Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 08:37   #1

Fake Circumnavigations

A lot of these circumnavigations that people claim are fake. A circumnavigation by boat is going around the world by boat. Drying docking the boat, flying home for 6 months, then flying back means there was no circumnavigation, especially when people fly east for the first break, then west for the second. Or flying west, then west on the return trip, that is called flying around the world. Sure, the boat circumnavigated, but the person did not. If I sent off a robotic boat to go around the world, but stayed home, did I go around the world?

If the boat was taken by truck over Panama to save money on the canal transit fee, then there was no circumnavigation.

Then there are the people that claim to sail "solo" around the world with no proof. One fraud that claimed to go around the world solo was seen in a video with someone else on the boat. And the fake still goes around claiming she did the sail alone, because it was just a short distance!
zamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:57   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Fake Circumnavigations

I think you might be nit picking a little.

If the boat circumnavigated, IE went through 360 degrees of longitude, with the owner, (or captain) on the boat 99% of the journey, it's close enough in my book.

Skipping the Panama canal, (which goes West to East anyway) doesn't shorten the distance sailed significantly.

A circumnavigation is a circumnavigation even if the owner had to take a break for work, as long as thee boat didn't move a significant distance without them.

A NONSTOP circumnavigation is another beast entirely.

So did I not "circumnavigate" if I overnighted at a hotel after a night of partying?

Or does it only count if I never step foot on shore?

I may have disqualified myself from a round the world race, but the Circumnavigators club, counts any trip that goes through 360 degrees of longitude, and crosses the same longitude line.

And for a casual cruiser, that's good enough for me.

Now about that anchor....
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
99% of the journey, it's close enough in my book.
Sorry, but all around the world is 100%. A circle is 360 degrees, going only 359 means the circle was not completed.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:06   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
A lot of these circumnavigations that people claim are fake. A circumnavigation by boat is going around the world by boat. Drying docking the boat, flying home for 6 months, then flying back means there was no circumnavigation, especially when people fly east for the first break, then west for the second. Or flying west, then west on the return trip, that is called flying around the world. Sure, the boat circumnavigated, but the person did not. If I sent off a robotic boat to go around the world, but stayed home, did I go around the world?

If the boat was taken by truck over Panama to save money on the canal transit fee, then there was no circumnavigation.

Then there are the people that claim to sail "solo" around the world with no proof. One fraud that claimed to go around the world solo was seen in a video with someone else on the boat. And the fake still goes around claiming she did the sail alone, because it was just a short distance!
You are welcome to your own opinions, and even your own definition of "circumnavigation".

For me, if someone transports their vessel overland across Panama, I'm not going to use that as an excuse to say they didn't circumnavigate. That 50 mile freshwater motoring experience wasn't all that challenging anyway.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:07   #5

Quote:
Sorry, but all around the world is 100%. A circle is 360 degrees, going only 359 means the circle was not completed.
Ah yes, great gatekeeper of circumnavigations.

Do all records need to be forwarded to you for approval before we can state we have completed a circumnavigation?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:56   #6

Boat: Bateau FS17

They should have any coast guard certifications revoked and their vessel confiscated!

Wait.... were we being serious? o.0
Is this a real issue in today's world?
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:50   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

How about 7,920 miles of open ocean?

If you didn't circumnavigate you are within a few miles of it...Unless you sailed in circles.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
They should have any coast guard certifications revoked and their vessel confiscated!

Wait.... were we being serious? o.0
Is this a real issue in today's world?
No kidding. My first (and second and third) thought was, seriously, there's someone out there that thinks this is worth caring about at all, let alone pontificating on? Sad to be them I guess.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:56   #9

Boat: no boat any more

having circumnavigated 3 times "by your book", zamber, I still say: you ae a fool!
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you are making a westward loop, and the boat transits the Panama Canal from Colon to Balboa it ends up east of its longitude in Colon. So you can still sail across all 360 degrees of longitude even if you don't do the transit.

The other direction and you'd have to bop up to Bocas or someplace like that to get your easting before continuing
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:58   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

What a crock and what a troll this post is.
To start with no one saves money by transporting their boat by truck across Panama as the Canal fees are less and the Canal is far simpler.

It makes zero difference how many times the crew flew home and then back to the boat. Zero!
Old 11-09-2021, 13:36   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:

Who made you the rule keeper? Also how many circumnavigations have you completed?
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 15:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Who made you the rule keeper?
Here is a quote from the Ocean Cruising Club:
"continuous circumnvagation entirely on water"
https://oceancruisingclub.org/Circumnavigators
Old 11-09-2021, 15:38   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Here is a quote from the Ocean Cruising Club:
"continuous circumnvagation entirely on water"
https://oceancruisingclub.org/Circumnavigators
and you are in charge?
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 15:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Also how many circumnavigations have you completed?
Thank you for making my point with this question. Any type of answer can be made up. We have people claiming circumnavigations completely based on their word. If someone does not have proof, but makes claims, then it is a "maybe."

My larger concern is not people telling fish stories at the yacht club bar, it is people using their fish stories to ask for donations. There one person that claimed a solo voyage, but there is a video of her with other people on the boat. When money is involved, it is criminal fraud.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation