Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 07:12   #1

Ex-navy, local guitarist soloist seeks a place on someone's sailboat

I've been in the Ft Myers area for 20 years(originally Philadelphia area) and i'm ready for a new adventure. I suppose i could seek a gig on a cruise ship, but I've lived on a navy ship a couple years, done that. I'd really like to be a crewmember on a sailboat. I think I have skills that could be of benefit to a (hopefully adventurous) sailboat owner.

I'm 60 years old in fairly good shape. I've been a professional guitarist singer most of my life. I know most any song from the 60s to the 90s. I'm also quite skilled in the kitchen and speak fluent spanish. I have some sailing experience, know my geography and history well, and have lived on a ship for 2 years. I like to think I'm entertaining socially, though give me my laptop and I can be quite content keeping to myself. (239)878-1632 Greg.

I'm not looking to make money. Hopefully i can do that locally wherever the boat is. Just a place to stay, some food perhaps, and travel on the ocean. I'm not desperate in any way. I am quite settled with a nice place. I'm seeking something more that's all. I'll always keep a passport and enough money for a flight home for a worst-case scenario.
Ragga-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 10:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: Ex-navy, local guitarist soloist seeks a place on someone's sailoat

go to www.daywork123.com
There are always people looking for crew.

I would recommend you get take a first aide cpr class and take the Florida boating class.
These are not needed but it will show that you are serious.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 10:25   #3

Thank youCaptain Graham! I'll check that out.
Old 17-09-2020, 17:30   #4

And update your profile to reflect "St. Pete's, FL" so potential boats will know where you're based.

(Remember, this is an international forum!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 18:13   #5

Thank you for your help Little Wing! I'm happy to learn anything I can right now. Apart from being in the navy and having sailed in my youth, I know very little. Perhaps I will get to know people through this forum. I'm happy to take whatever necessary baby steps I can right now.
Old 18-09-2020, 08:54   #6

Sign up on a free basis to crewbay.com and put your profile there - you can look for boats needing crew and people needing crew can look for them. There are some other sites like that - some require subscription .
celle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

There are a few exceptions but in general:

For a crew position on moderate sized sailboats the openings are 99% for temporary crew to help move the boat from here to there.

For long term crew positions where the boat would be your residence 99% of the positions will be on large, expensive yachts and the jobs will be focused on professional crew, preferably with prior experience in large yachts or in the hospitality industry or as a professional chef.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 10:26   #8

I'm noticing that. Thank you Skipmac and Celle! I'm really happy to have joined here. Everybody seems very helpful. I have immediate things to do and probably won't be ready for a few months minimal. I thought it'd be nice to test the waters with this. So far I'm learning a lot.
Old 18-09-2020, 10:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Sunset cruises with live music are becoming more popular.
You might be able to tie in your music background to help you get into the boating world.

Here is one in Key West
https://www.furycat.com/key-west/sunset-sailing-music
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 21:59   #10

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragga-G View Post
I've been in the Ft Myers area for 20 years(originally Philadelphia area) and i'm ready for a new adventure. I suppose i could seek a gig on a cruise ship, but I've lived on a navy ship a couple years, done that. I'd really like to be a crewmember on a sailboat. I think I have skills that could be of benefit to a (hopefully adventurous) sailboat owner.

I'm 60 years old in fairly good shape. I've been a professional guitarist singer most of my life. I know most any song from the 60s to the 90s. I'm also quite skilled in the kitchen and speak fluent spanish. I have some sailing experience, know my geography and history well, and have lived on a ship for 2 years. I like to think I'm entertaining socially, though give me my laptop and I can be quite content keeping to myself. (239)878-1632 Greg.

I'm not looking to make money. Hopefully i can do that locally wherever the boat is. Just a place to stay, some food perhaps, and travel on the ocean. I'm not desperate in any way. I am quite settled with a nice place. I'm seeking something more that's all. I'll always keep a passport and enough money for a flight home for a worst-case scenario.
Shipmate, I am a Navy Senior Chief Retired. Soon I will move aboard the Sailing Yacht I am purchasing. She is 154 Ft Length Overall, with Eight Double Guest Staterooms and Eight Crew Staterooms. We will be sailing the world in Christian Work. Please contact me at <Sailing4Jesus@gmail.com> You are Sixty? You are not even shaving yet. I am 76.

Thank You In Christ's Holy Name
Chauncey M. "BUDDY" Freeman
Senior Chief U.S.NAVY, RETIRED
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 03:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Sunset cruises with live music are becoming more popular.
You might be able to tie in your music background to help you get into the boating world.

Here is one in Key West
https://www.furycat.com/key-west/sunset-sailing-music
Cool idea, Graham!
Well done!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 11:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

Hi Regga-G,
We need a chef sometimes on our 46 ft charter cat in the Bahamas. Not a full time job but, may be a few months a year. Also, have a house and guest apt on one of the islands where we base. I play as well.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 16:28   #13

Wow! Thank you all for the responses!

Sailing4Jesus: Thank you so much for your invite Senior Chief. I think I will pass as it's not really my mission(though it does sound good). I wish you Godspeed however.

Dave Calvert: It sounds interesting. I'm in Ft Myers, so there are details to work out. Let's connect and maybe share some music. Notwithstanding the logistics, I'd love to explore the opportunity!
Old 22-10-2020, 07:07   #14

Hello
I own a catana 472 with which I have been sailing from France for about ten years. I have been in Polynesia for 4 years.
My partner cannot come as usual at the moment because of health problems.
I will be leaving on the boat again in the next few days in Tahiti and I plan to sail towards the Marquesas until the end of the hurricane season in March.

I would like not to be alone for this cruise because for Polynesian distances it takes several days sailing and it is easier for two or three.

If you are interested contact me to see if we have a chance to agree.
Folavoalh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, loa, navy, sail