Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 08:37   #1

"Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

"Everyone is buying boats" during the pandemic.

"Families have shunned airlines, hotels, cruises and other crowded vacation options this summer. Instead, they have opted for more personal transportation choices that make it easier to fend off the coronavirus, whether it is recreational vehicles, bicycles or in this case, boats."

"Total new boat sales – from personal watercraft to yachts – in May were the highest in a decade, and June was strong as well, reports the National Marine Manufacturers Association."

Boat slips are in demand and boating destinations are seeing higher demand for moorings.

"Perhaps best of all for the industry, the pandemic is bringing a lot of new buyers out of the woodwork. About half of recent boat buyers are first-timers . . . They're being lured by the chance to get out of the house and on the water in a socially distanced manner."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/red-hot-b...120042621.html
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 09:08   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Same with resort housing, demand and pricing is way up.
What bad economy? To me this shows the income inequality problem we are having? The rich seem to get richer and poor/lower middle class have record unemployment and evictions.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 09:29   #3

Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What bad economy? To me this shows the income inequality problem we are having? The rich seem to get richer and poor/lower middle class have record unemployment and evictions.
Indeed. Taking a historical perspective this type of story ought to be seen as ominous. Instead, it's folks describing a beautiful red sky in the morning-time.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:08   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Indeed. Taking a historical perspective this type of story ought to be seen as ominous. Instead, it's folks describing a beautiful red sky in the morning-time.
My ability to solve analogies is apparently not up to snuff. Please elucidate.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:15   #5

Red sky in morning,
Sailors take warning.
Red sky at night,
Sailors' delight.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
My ability to solve analogies is apparently not up to snuff. Please elucidate.
I'm guessing Singularity is pointing out that one group is doing (and has done) just about all of the suffering and load-carrying - illness, loss of employment, insolvency, or branded "essential workers" and forced by economic necessity to stay in risky frontline work - and another group is simply bored, spending on new diversions, and complaining about not finding boat bargoons.

And that our main commentary on this reality is - hey, good for boating.

The "red-sky" reference is that instead of taking warning, we're just enjoying how pretty things look from our boats.

If we don't pay more attention to the people who were actually hurt by COVID-19 and mitigation efforts, BLM protests will look like a church social by comparison.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:37   #7

Boat: Ericson 28/2

Which means in a couple of years there will be plenty of deferred maintenance boats on the market which will drive prices down.
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:02   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I know of someone listing a boat here in the ABCs, it sold within a week.

On a similar note. If anyone wants to buy a Prout Snowgoose 35 in Curacao, give me a shout. - semi serious
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:08   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'm guessing Singularity is pointing out that one group is doing (and has done) just about all of the suffering and load-carrying - illness, loss of employment, insolvency, or branded "essential workers" and forced by economic necessity to stay in risky frontline work - and another group is simply bored, spending on new diversions, and complaining about not finding boat bargoons.

And that our main commentary on this reality is - hey, good for boating.

The "red-sky" reference is that instead of taking warning, we're just enjoying how pretty things look from our boats.

If we don't pay more attention to the people who were actually hurt by COVID-19 and mitigation efforts, BLM protests will look like a church social by comparison.
We all know the jingle. Sing's post's can be kind of...cryptic. I get it now though (The sky is red but it might not be morning time)
Old 29-08-2020, 11:10   #10
smj

Quote:
We all know the jingle. Sing's post's can be kind of...cryptic. I get it now though (The sky is red but it might not be morning time)

The sky is red and beautiful, but the people are ignoring the impending doom a red sky in the morning can bring.
Old 29-08-2020, 11:25   #11
cruiser

Quote:
The sky is red and beautiful, but the people are ignoring the impending doom a red sky in the morning can bring.
No, I think they are ignoring that it might be night, not morning. Unless there is another jingle that I haven't heard
Old 29-08-2020, 11:39   #12

Angry Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Quote:
This. People so out of touch with history/economics and/or what the natural world brings that they celebrate, or at least think is good, things that should suggest that there is a problem. Imagine reading a fluff piece from a Polish newspaper in early 1939: "Great news...suitcase, horse-cart sales skyrocket!"

Some people read these articles and find evidence that the situation is good, other read them and realize they should consider buying a boat/cart. Either way its good business for brokers (whose opinion, unsurprisingly, is described in the article).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:53   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I agree with "the rich are getting richer" but I'm not sure it applies here, depending on how we define rich.

I doubt most are paying cash for all these things, just piling on more debt, obviously it's not the poor buying but I think theres a fair number of the middle class throwing caution to the wind.

A young couple just bought my house for the asking price, bank of mum and dad paid the deposit and they have borrowed the rest.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:58   #14
cruiser

Maybe boat sales are skyrocketing because it is a bucket list item and people think that they are running out of time. Or are looking for another form of entertainment since stadium sports are off limits. Or it is just a fluff piece. I have looked all over the referenced NNMA
https://www.nmma.org/ but can't find the data. We are all so bored that we will read any "click bait" with the word boat in it. Keep em coming Montanan!
Old 29-08-2020, 13:03   #15
smj

Quote:
Maybe boat sales are skyrocketing because it is a bucket list item and people think that they are running out of time. Or are looking for another form of entertainment since stadium sports are off limits. Or it is just a fluff piece. I have looked all over the referenced NNMA

https://www.nmma.org/ but can't find the data. We are all so bored that we will read any "click bait" with the word boat in it. Keep em coming Montanan!

I think that’s correct, something they’ve been dreaming about and after going through some form of lockdown they figure they’d better make good of their dream.
I also think some of the work force that was able to work from home decided it would be nicer to work from that nice beach house they’ve been dreaming of rather than their home in the city. Let’s face it, not a lot going on in a city during lockdown!

Tags
boat, buying