Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 02:50   #1

Equipment Airlines Will Allow

Hi everyone,

I know the best way to find the answer to this question is to contact your airline.

We are likely to book our trip to pick up our new build Catamaran as soon as Covid allows using Quatar airways. I’m having trouble contacting them at the moment.

There appears to be conflicting messages on what boating gear is allowed when flying.

As we will be living on board we will wish to bring the following as examples.
Life Jackets with auto inflation x 6.
Power Tools x 4 with lithium batteries x 5.
Epirb x 2.
Personal Location Devices x 2.
Torches with batteries.
Speaker with lithium battery.

Is there likely to be any issues with this lot as a general rule?

If so, is there any way around it?

Cheers.
Corrigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:16   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Equipment Airlines Will Allow

If they allow any of those batteries and co2 cylinders aboard you’ll likely need to package them separately and according to iata guidelines.

In my opinion you’d have better luck shipping the goods on a separate cargo flight rather than try to load it onto a passenger aircraft.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:27   #3

There is then quite a lot to pay for. Sending the shipment and then the taxes charged at the other end.

That may well end up being my only option.

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:35   #4

Oh yes, there will be issues if you try traveling with that. Quatar publishes a list of permissible items and whether you can carry in hand or checked luggage. You’ve got quite a mix. For example, the power tools aren’t allowed in carry on bags but may be checked while the opposite is true for the batteries depending on size. Also, many airlines will let yo travel with the CO2 vest, but only one per passenger. The issue with those is that airport security often don’t understand the rules and will confiscate the cartridges even if the airline permits.

Too many variables here for good advice. If you try, give yourself several extra hours to get checked in and through security.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:36   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Spare lithium batteries are usually banned from checked luggage. I pull the batteries from devices and put a label on them indicating no battery. That goes in checked bag. Batteries go in my carry on.
When the device does not have lithium batteries, I download the MSDS and highlight the part indicating it is shippable and non lithium.
You can buy Epribs that do not contain lithium batteries. See ACR
Old 12-02-2021, 04:01   #6

Boat: Farr 43`

Unaccompanied passenger baggage.
Lower rates than air freight or excess baggage.

Security screening at departure end
Customs declaration required on arrival - sometimes inspection.

Must be prearranged with the airline.
48 hours or more prior to flight.
Sometimes goes on the same flight even though they say it wont.
Next day pick up is the shortest turnaround.

Another possibility is captain's hold.
Very limited space.
Have a first class ticket before you ask
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

CO2 canisters must be unscrewed from the firing mechanism and you are likely to be limited to only the one canister per jacket and one jacket per person which must fit within your hand luggage. You might be able to take rearming kits as long as they are sealed.

Power tools of any kind will have to be checked, they are a total no no in hand luggage.

Lithium batteries are tricky as you can have some in hand luggage but you will be limited to how many you can take.

EPIRBS / PLBs and other distress transmitting equipment MUST be switched off and battery isolated if possible. If there is no method to physically disable them then most air carriers will refuse to take them.

Probably easier in the long run to check to see if you can buy most of these items at your destination as you could be hammered for import taxes on arrival or have items confiscated by customs.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Ship FedEx and try to use the "vessel in transit" and maybe not have to pay the customs duty? If that works, you could always pick up the supplies from the local office.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:56   #9

Is it possible to just ship them in advance with other items you will need? Galley items, clothing, water toys, etc etc. It seems like you could just pack up what you need for your “new home” and have it delivered to where you will need it. Just a thought- I’m guessing there is something I’m missing that prevents this?
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Ship FedEx and try to use the "vessel in transit" and maybe not have to pay the customs duty? If that works, you could always pick up the supplies from the local office.
Thank you George, I’ll look at that.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
Is it possible to just ship them in advance with other items you will need? Galley items, clothing, water toys, etc etc. It seems like you could just pack up what you need for your “new home” and have it delivered to where you will need it. Just a thought- I’m guessing there is something I’m missing that prevents this?
Thanks SV Viento

We have found that travelling business class gives us such a large allowance that it’s cheaper than courier.

Our builder also told us there are often additional taxes, red tape and sometimes items get lost/go missing.

This way they come with us on the same flight. We are also told that there will be no additional taxation at the other end because it came with us as booked in and paid for luggage.

It’s primarily the limitation on batteries and gas canisters that we are thinking about.

Worst case, we may just have to buy replacements out there.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:06   #12

In my experience (pre-covid) flying with inflatable lifejackets and PLB's, I think it depends on the country/airport you transit, in addition to the airline. The best bet is to have them in the carry-on, together with a printout of the policy of allowed items (if available). Lifejackets tend to go through without issues, PLB's tend to be searched and questioned (mostly because the people at security may have never seen them before, so having a manual and related info for them may help; I have also been asked to turn them on and test them, thus having some info on how PLB's operate is helpful), but eventually let through.
For lithium batteries for power tools is a different story, they may give you a hard time, especially for something like the 18V or 28V batteries for Milwaukee tools or similar. If you go through multiple stops and security checks in your trip, the likelihood that you get in trouble with those at some point and you have to leave them is very high, I would just buy one or two (or some cheap power tool) at destination.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:01   #13

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I've had a 2000 mAh Li-ion external battery pack for my cell phone confiscated - and it was in my hand luggage. That's when I found out you can't carry a Li-ion battery of over 1600 mAh - and batteries for power tools generally FAR exceed that limit.

Friends coming to sail with me for two weeks were forced to remove and discard the CO2 cylinders from their inflatable lifevests. We had to scramble to find replacements here.

So I would say you could have trouble carrying most of that stuff with you.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:06   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
In many countries just "vessel in transit" won't work. You need to have supporting documentation - at least a copy of the vessel's documentation showing it to be foreign registered. You may also need to hire an agent to get the items cleared through customs.

Is the documentation completed? Is the new boat documented in a country other than the country of origin?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Foreign air carriers operating in US airspace must adhere to FAA and TSA regulations at a minimum. Both foreign and domestic air carriers may impose greater restrictions of their own.

Inflatable PFD - Checked or carried on, usually with only two spare cylinders of gas. American Airlines previously didn't allow them at all. I think that has been changed now but a few years ago a friend, when leaving Italy, had to FedEx his PDF and other gear home. It was stolen before it ever left Italy.

Lithium Batteries - Only in the passenger cabin where, if necessary, onboard staff can put out a fire with their cabin equipment, either water or CO2 extinguishers. They carry both. Back when I started in aviation we had the same problem with the NICAD batteries until they were perfected.

Weapons & Power Tools - Checked only. May be disallowed by foreign carriers and/or confiscated at foreign ports of entry. US airlines maybe able to advise on this.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men