Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 16:25   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Equipment Airlines Will Allow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrigano View Post
Hi everyone,

We are likely to book our trip to pick up our new build Catamaran as soon as Covid allows using Quatar airways.........
Is there any way the boat builder could assist? Perhaps they would be willing to purchase items locally for you or assist in some other way; perhaps they have a relationship with customs, etc. that could smooth the way as you enter the country. Maybe they have a preferred shipper that delivers to them regularly and could possibly include your items with a future shipment. Wouldn't hurt to ask. They might be very willing to help a valued client.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:22   #17

Boat: In search mode

I was over at SW for a chat with Mike last month. They are slammed busy with boat builds.I can understand your desire to bring the stuff, especially if you bought already... You can send me your wish list of stuff wanting to bring and can check availability here in HCMC. Power tools are readily available... The other stuff may also be here, there are also ships stores...
BB
VNCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:32   #18

Boat: making it happen, much too slowly

no first-hand knowledge to share but if you read John Kretchmer's book called Serious Ocean Sailing, you might burst out laughing as i did when he describes how he once tried to fly (internationally, i think) with a liferaft.

hilarious!

and yes, he did call the airline in advance to get an ok... before things got conflated.
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:36   #19

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lithium batteries are limited from airplanes based on their capacity. Milwaukee 18v 6.0 and larger batteries cannot be sent via plane and have to go surface. Don't know how small the batteries have to be to be airplane eligible. Milwaukee's 12v batteries and the smallest 18v batteries have been able to be shipped air freight to us in Hawaii. Had to special order tools with large batteries from Home Depot who shipped them surface but had to wait a month or more for arrival.

Would ship the bare tools and leave too large batteries at home. Would assume you'd be able to buy the needed batteries at your destination. If you are using same make tools, two batteries should be enough to get you by in most instances.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:56   #20

As a keen scuba diver I've travelled with equivalents of everything on your list and the one that I consistently have problems with is pressure vessels. Yours will be worse as the CO2 cartridges will be pressurised with the valves in place. Scuba cylinders, regardless of how small must be empty, with the valve removed, which you cannot do. I would be doing everything possible to avoid carrying those. If you can't, arrive at the airport early, have documentation with you and packed with the vests showing what they are and be prepared for a lot of questions.

Strangely, I very rarely have problems with batteries and some of mine are the size of a football.

Things to consider:
Airline staff do not like anything they do not recognise. Standard power tool batteries will have a much easier passage than customised light, PLB etc batteries. Again, be prepared for a lot of concern over strange looking, sealed, pressurised CO2 tanks. If your departure and arrival airports frequently see boating equipment it may be of some help.
Security and airline staff may have different views on what is not allowed. Just because you made it past check-in does not mean all is going ok behind the scenes. Again, arrive early and allow plenty of time for answering questions.
Interpretations and attitudes vary wildly between different staff. A smile can work miracles. Enforcement and issues can often be determined by whether the officials mood. Again smile and avoid being argumentative.

Have a backup plan should something not be accepted for transport.

Good luck
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 13:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
no first-hand knowledge to share but if you read John Kretchmer's book called Serious Ocean Sailing, you might burst out laughing as i did when he describes how he once tried to fly (internationally, i think) with a liferaft.

hilarious!

and yes, he did call the airline in advance to get an ok... before things got conflated.
Agree - Iíd already read it. Laughed out loud
Corrigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 13:14   #22

Good idea, cheers
Corrigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 14:09   #23

Boat: Still deciding

I fly fairly often with a PFD and spare cylinders.
I get pre-approval from the airline then make sure I check in with plenty of time.
Iíve put them in both checked-in and carry-on luggage.

Checking in usually takes only a few minutes longer than normal but occasionally you get someone who hasnít done it before and it can take a lot longer.

The only real issue Iíve had was when one of the scanning machine operators asked me to take my PFD apart so I could show them the attached cylinder.
I explained that that was going to take a lot of time and effort but they insisted.
A quick request to talk to their supervisor and everything was okay (and I didnít have to do it).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 14:19   #24

Where are you flying FROM??

Some of it is dictated by the country (e.g. TSA in the US), while some of it is deferred to the airline. I could sit here quoting TSA regs, but if you're flying from the UK, I'd be wasting my time.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 05:34   #25

Hi

I travel around Europe with my lifejacket and kit.
Usually all is well particularly if in hold luggage.

Travelling with BA from Naples I had registered it on my ticket but still had it taken by security staff. It was in my carry on bag.
I was unable to get compensation from BA or my insurance.

regards
John
CorinthianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men