Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2019, 05:24   #91

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Re: Engineless anyone?

...just discovered this thread and thought I'd chime in with our bit.

Our boat is about 7 tons or so loaded for cruising, and has never had an inboard engine. We always sail everywhere - sometimes very slowly - but are glad to have the 9.9 outboard to help get in and out of harbors and anchorages, or with the occasional dead calm that might happen just short of where we'd like to be that night. It is usually just easier to sail on and off the anchor or mooring than to bother lowering and starting the outboard. That said, the outboard has saved our bacon a few times. We are glad to have it. We often could sail in or out of a crowded anchorage, but choose not to so as not to potentially cause concern for the other boaters. We like to stay on friendly terms with the neighbors.

We have lately been cruising the Bahamas, and have used less than 4 gallons of fuel over tha last 4 months or so.

I am in the process of building a Yuloh with help from a woodshop on Man o War cay. My Yulow design has a 5 foot blade tapering from 9 inches wide to an 8 foot straight section, then a 3 foot section offset 10 degrees. The fulcrum will be on the transom, port side. Transom is about 34 inches off the water. We'll see what I can do with that.
Old 13-08-2019, 07:56   #92

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
...just discovered this thread and thought I'd chime in with our bit.

Our boat is about 7 tons or so loaded for cruising, and has never had an inboard engine. We always sail everywhere - sometimes very slowly - but are glad to have the 9.9 outboard to help get in and out of harbors and anchorages, or with the occasional dead calm that might happen just short of where we'd like to be that night. It is usually just easier to sail on and off the anchor or mooring than to bother lowering and starting the outboard. That said, the outboard has saved our bacon a few times. We are glad to have it. We often could sail in or out of a crowded anchorage, but choose not to so as not to potentially cause concern for the other boaters. We like to stay on friendly terms with the neighbors.

We have lately been cruising the Bahamas, and have used less than 4 gallons of fuel over tha last 4 months or so.

I am in the process of building a Yuloh with help from a woodshop on Man o War cay. My Yulow design has a 5 foot blade tapering from 9 inches wide to an 8 foot straight section, then a 3 foot section offset 10 degrees. The fulcrum will be on the transom, port side. Transom is about 34 inches off the water. We'll see what I can do with that.
Great! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 09:39   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Great! Send photos!
ummm, pictures of the Yuloh, or the boat? (if I can figure out how). btw, we row our dinghy - a nesting whitehall rowing shell that rows like a dream. Generally, we are the only one rowing in a given harbor. 95% of the time rowing is just fine and preferable to a motor for us - quiet, peaceful and I enjoy the excercise. I sometimes miss it not being practical to head out a couple of miles to an ocean reef for some spearfishing, but rarely.

We also do not have a furler. Friends say, gosh it is a lot of work to sail your boat. Well, I guess I could get an easier to sail boat and a gym membership... it is nice that getting underway is a bit of a workout.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 15:53   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
ummm, pictures of the Yuloh, or the boat? (if I can figure out how). btw, we row our dinghy - a nesting whitehall rowing shell that rows like a dream. Generally, we are the only one rowing in a given harbor. 95% of the time rowing is just fine and preferable to a motor for us - quiet, peaceful and I enjoy the excercise. I sometimes miss it not being practical to head out a couple of miles to an ocean reef for some spearfishing, but rarely.

We also do not have a furler. Friends say, gosh it is a lot of work to sail your boat. Well, I guess I could get an easier to sail boat and a gym membership... it is nice that getting underway is a bit of a workout.
No furler here either... and inflatable kayak too. Those Whitehalls are sure nice!
Yes pictures of everything! Just make a reply post and hit the paper clip above the box to add an attachment. Then click on one of the
"choose file" buttons and select photos from your computer. IF they are too big to attach then you have to export them to the desktop in a smaller form and then select them from the desktop when you "choose file."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 12:49   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Great! Send photos!
Pic du jour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	197875  
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 12:00   #96

Boat: Allied Seawind II 32

Huge thanks to ALL contributors to this thread! We've been exemplary nurses to our 1977 Westerbeke M30, but it's "going south," as they say. We've always been interested in engineless sailing, and we figure we'll start now, and just not replace our 600 lb (engine + transmission) "bulgine," when its time arrives. We'd love to hear from those who use sculling oars. How did you set them up? How did you determine the best length for your oar? Etc. And anything else you'd like to say on the engineless sailing topic. Thanks all, and fair winds.
Corny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 12:11   #97

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

I will be brief initially. I have sailed about 30 years no engine. The boat is 5 tons, 1913 gaff cutter, and engineless has sailed Norway, Ireland UK, Spain and nowvin the Caribbean. I use, when no wind and need to move, rather than wait, a sweep, maybev12 foot, over the transom. Gives 1 knot in calm conditions.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 12:12   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny View Post
Huge thanks to ALL contributors to this thread! We've been exemplary nurses to our 1977 Westerbeke M30, but it's "going south," as they say. We've always been interested in engineless sailing, and we figure we'll start now, and just not replace our 600 lb (engine + transmission) "bulgine," when its time arrives. We'd love to hear from those who use sculling oars. How did you set them up? How did you determine the best length for your oar? Etc. And anything else you'd like to say on the engineless sailing topic. Thanks all, and fair winds.
Sounds interesting just remember you remove the 600# and you will need to rebalance the boat for best performance.
Old 30-04-2022, 12:26   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
An engineless square-rigger still in operation:

Tres Hombres | Fairtransport.eu

I think they mostly use tugs in harbor, however.
They have a dinghy with a 15hp motor which they use as a tug, nudge the bow round to where they want it pointed then he scoots round to the stern and pushes.. that's how they left Horta on a windless day.
For in harbour manoeuvres like moving from the reception Quay to the berth on the outer wall the dinghy ran a line across then they warped her across.
A master class in how things used to be done.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 12:31   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They have a dinghy with a 15hp motor which they use as a tug, nudge the bow round to where they want it pointed then he scoots round to the stern and pushes.. that's how they left Horta on a windless day.
For in harbour manoeuvres like moving from the reception Quay to the berth on the outer wall the dinghy ran a line across then they warped her across.
A master class in how things used to be done.
Back in the day they did it the same way but with oars on the dingy not an engine .

Human engines do lots of work
Old 30-04-2022, 13:06   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did the engineless thing with my first boat, a 38' ketch, primarily because I didn't have the money for one.
I managed, is about all I can say. I ran aground a lot and often found myself in a pickle.
I lasted about two years before I bit the bullet and installed a diesel.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 13:21   #102

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

The yulow set up is also on YouTube an American, I think, woman with a folkboat. Me, I sail, no outboard, it
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 13:27   #103

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'd love to ditch the diesel and go with some sort of sculling oar/yuloh. I just don't think it's feasible for my 15 ton boat.

That said, I have sculled this boat in dead-calm conditions using nothing but the transom-hung barn-door rudder. With no other force on her, she'll get moving pretty well. But add any wind or current and forget it.
Old 30-04-2022, 13:49   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Engineless anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Back in the day they did it the same way but with oars on the dingy not an engine .

Human engines do lots of work
Who'da thunk it..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 18:12   #105

Check these:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ar-145638.html
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-207956.html
or mine but the success of these is pretty boat-specific
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lbums4660.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37