Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 20:17   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Endoftheroad Hero!

Way to go! Kudos to you EOTR.
It's always good to know that there are a few folks in every mooring area that are not willing to let a boat go aground when they have the will and the means to make it fast.
It's nice to have an anchor on deck made up and ready to throw out by a passer-by if the mooring should fail. Just a thought for an emergency. Hopefully no one will just make off with the anchor but even if they did it would be good insurance.
kind regards,
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43   #17

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

To answer the question for how his boat broke free from the mooring.

Well, we can definately rule out a mistake on BlackOak's part, he and I went to the marine hardware store a couple weeks before he left for his vacation and bought 2 premium mooring lines, with newly spliced thimbles and new shackles and he had chaffing guard at the bow to the cleats. As I mentioned before, he left his boat in a responsible way.

Now...when I boarded his drifting palace I pulled the new mooring lines out of the water, the fellow with the catamaran, Mike, said to me "these lines look deliberately cut". Momentarily I tried to think otherwise but I couldn't dissagree with the bloke.
When BlackOak was on his way down from Marco Island there was a squatter on my mooring. He was there for about 3 weeks. I went over to him after he was there for about 3 days and asked him "why are you on my mooring, are you broke down or something?". He replied he had steering problems and drug his anchor and was lucky enough to grab ahold of my mooring. I was relieved and gratioussly welcomed him use of my mooring while making repairs to which he said would only take a few days. I asked him if I could assist him in town finding parts or whatever as he was from Fort Meyers. It was a small run down tiller steered boat and the guy was still drunk from the night before. During the 3 weeks he was there my wife and I could hear him vomiting vicioussly off the side of his boat during early morning hours.
At about 3 weeks I left a note on his boat starting that he should be on his way and that I had a friend that needed the mooring. I didn't mention that a 62 year old lady friend of ours that has a 26 foot sailboat and that her boat was over there on someones front lawn and she could have really used my mooring the other day while he sits up all night drinking. So anyhow a few days later I see him anchoring elsewhere with no thank yous to yours truely.
BO gets on my mooring a few days later and makes a comment to me that he sees this yellow hull boat dragging all over the cove. I dont think I mentioned to BO that the yellow boat was the guy so BO wouldnt feel awkward.
Well, I had a chance yesterday to go over to my mooring, there are 2 lines shackled to my mooring ball that are about 2 feet long each.
Yes....with 90% clean cuts to both of them. They weren't tangled, there isn't any sharp edges to my mooring hardware, besides the mooring never chaffed my lines on my Westsail. I hope they chaffed or got cut by a swordfish, I'm assuming they weren't deliberately cut and that there is an explanation.

And the last little bit.....

The dirty little yellow hulled boat isn't anchored in it's spot or anywhere in the anchorage.

Dunno?

endoftheroad
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I had the pleasure of living in that area way back before I won my slip in Garrison Bight. Almost 14 years later, I still have many friends out there (yes people stay that long). 99% of the residents would give you their last dollar, then offer you a (warm) beer.

BO, EotR, et al, I'm out of town waaay too much these days, but next time (May?) I'll buy the first round at Schooner's; Love to meet y'all!
Old 03-04-2013, 16:15   #19

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
A good friend will be there to bail you out of jail.

A great friend will be in jail with you.

I think EOTR would certainly be in jail type friend.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:08   #20

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Right on, EOTR.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:39   #21

The dirty little yellow hull sailboat is back in the neighborhood today, anchored back in the same area he was before.
This should suggest that he wasn't responsible for cutting mooring lines, if anyone even cut the lines in the first place.
Who knows.....

endoftheroad
Old 16-04-2013, 12:36   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Maybe the little yellow boat dragged onto BlackOak and his chain cut the lines?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Maybe the little yellow boat dragged onto BlackOak and his chain cut the lines?
Yeah...I never rule out those possibilities.
It's common for someones boat or dink to get caught up in mooring lines coming home drunk and cutting them in a panic.
Thats one of the many reasons why I'm never "hanging on by a string".
I always have 2 mooring lines.
These guys out here with 80 feet single lines are nuts.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27   #24

Thanks BlackOak for saving me today.

My outboard gave me some troubles this morning, wind was about 20kts, my dink was getting further away from my boat fast.
BlackOak and his guest on his boat hopped in two seperate dinghies and came to my rescue faster than flies on dog$&/¥
I have a heavy Caribe with 25hp and 5 gals fuel and I remained in my dink.
Bare chested BlackOak towed me back to my boat like he was the Hulk with one hand managing my painter and his other hand managing his small inflatable and 4hp motor into the chop and 20kt winds.
He jumped in Bob's dinghy, left his dinghy with me at my boat so I could run for outboard parts and offered me anything he could short of his first born child.

I have not needed another soul's help for at least 4 years now and often gripe that people must think I am "jesus christ on the water" because I am always saving everybody.
It goes to show that "everybody needs somebody sometime" and I'm glad it was you that helped me today BlackOak.

Thank you,
endoftheroad
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47   #25

Endoftheroad: I am in the city morning field now but I would like to move as I hate the long the dingy ride any suggestions? Plus. it would be cool to meet you guys maybe you can come by and I'll grill some burgers
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 13:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Endoftheroad: I am in the city morning field now but I would like to move as I hate the long the dingy ride any suggestions? Plus. it would be cool to meet you guys maybe you can come by and I'll grill some burgers
I'm afraid that this is the best place to be in Key West unless you want to be on a dock.
KW is know for having awefull anchorages.
Old 04-05-2013, 14:01   #27

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Yeah its a long dink ride for sure, especially on a windy day like today....but its worse on the fleming side with the wind and the current, not to mention the poorly anchored potential drifters on that side. As EOTR said, the city mooring is the best it gets in KW.

Thanks for the burger offer! Wouldnt miss that for sure. Say when and where, and what ya need me to bring along.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 14:26   #28

Black oak. it looks like I have company for the weekend so how about Monday evening just bring whatever it is you wish to drink
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 17:03   #29

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Talking Re: Endoftheroad Hero!

[qoute]Thanks BlackOak for saving me today.[/quote]

Damn it Man...you most assuredly are welcome. I didnt see that post above until just now...BUT...I was quick to see the grillin BURGERS post Ah man....

@ EOTR..would of been there sooner, but that big beautiful fat bodied Westsail was blocking my view of you in your dink. I saw ya get in the dink, then me and Bob was chatting it up, and I looked over and didnt see ya anymore. Thought ya had headed into the dock for that thing on that fast caribe your drive. Back to the chatting it up, and then I saw ya, out behind your boat a few yards away...just floating around...saw ya messin with the motor, then I got nosey.

Your welcome my #1 Key Wester friend...now about them burgers....

@Motion....well I aint a drinkin man per se, but do enjoy a cool anything....so just let me know what ya drink, cause I wont be taking it when I leave your boat. I prefer to drink on other peoples boats or on land....makes that dinghy ride back to my boat a hellava lot more interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote