Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 15:03   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Apologies given, as this post is based not on a sailing boat but on a powered cruiser, but I think the topic is still relative to both.
Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness
In alot of boats, passengers sit very close to electrical systems (such as batteries) of significant power, usually for a considerable amount of time. Apparently the currents achieved in these systems and the short distances between the power devices and the passengers mean that the latter could be exposed to relevant magnetic fields. In my case approx 1000 amp 12v battery bank underneath the main cabins bed, around 12 inches below the bottom of the mattress. I'm wondering if the hazards of magnetic field exposure or electromagnetic radiation (EMR) must be taken into account?
Is it usual to put such a large storage of batteries under the bed you potentially spend 1/3 of your day on?
The previous owner of this particular boat has told the broker he doesn't want anything more to do with the boat as all his family members get sea sick on the boat and most other people aswell if they come aboard for any extended lenght of time.
The sea sickness could be enhanced by the relatively narrow beam to length of the boat aswell as the heavy steel superstructure which could make it a little rolley at times. It's a 55ft long, 15ft beam, 45 tonne steel displacement pilothouse cruiser. There is a stability report available on the boat which stipulates the necessary requirements for when cruising such as making sure water tank">fresh water tank is full, gray and black are empty, centre fuel tank is empty, the other 4 are balanced except for tank number 1 which needs to have 350 litres of fuel less than tank 4. The boat does have Naiad Stabilizers but still thinking it could potentially be quite rolley.
So there are 2 questions,
1 - could the close proximity of the batteries be a potential health problem OR add to the sea sickness of passengers through the EMF on a steel boat?
2 - could the build of the boat as described be a problem in anything but smooth cruising conditions?
I have been for a sea trial but unfortunately conditions were smooth.
__________________

Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:24   #2
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 30,615
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

I don’t think you get much EMF from 12VDC, and pretty much zero from batteries themselves
__________________

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:25   #3
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,448
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsy View Post
Apologies given, as this post is based not on a sailing boat but on a powered cruiser, but I think the topic is still relative to both.
Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness
In alot of boats, passengers sit very close to electrical systems (such as batteries) of significant power, usually for a considerable amount of time. Apparently the currents achieved in these systems and the short distances between the power devices and the passengers mean that the latter could be exposed to relevant magnetic fields. In my case approx 1000 amp 12v battery bank underneath the main cabins bed, around 12 inches below the bottom of the mattress. I'm wondering if the hazards of magnetic field exposure or electromagnetic radiation (EMR) must be taken into account?

Batteries don't create a magnetic field except when current is flowing.


A 1000 amp current 12 inches (about 1/3 meter away) will give you a magnetic field of about 0.003 of a Tesla which is about on par with a fridge magnet if you hold it in your hand.. However, since the positive and negative cables produce fields in opposite directions the field will cancel out to some degree.


There is no electromagnetic radiation because batteries are DC.



Quote:

Is it usual to put such a large storage of batteries under the bed you potentially spend 1/3 of your day on?

It's not unusual. I wouldn't give the magnetic field a second thought. Fire safety and ventilation would be my main concerns. ::shrug::


Quote:

1 - could the close proximity of the batteries be a potential health problem OR add to the sea sickness of passengers through the EMF on a steel boat?

No.


Quote:

2 - could the build of the boat as described be a problem in anything but smooth cruising conditions?
I have been for a sea trial but unfortunately conditions were smooth.

I can't help you there but I will note that with a large pilothouse there would be the temptation to stay inside where there is no view of the horizon which will make symptoms much worse.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:31   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Thanks for your reply.
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:42   #5
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 16,333
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

I concur about zero electrical interference with health, however the stability issues concern me. If it is necessary to have a certain distribution of loads between the various tanks, how can you reasonably maintain the balance during a voyage as fuel and water are consumed? Seems impossible, and that would be a deal breaker for me.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Port Cygnet again, freezing our bums off.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:55   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2020
Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Posts: 430
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsy View Post
It's a 55ft long, 15ft beam, 45 tonne steel displacement pilothouse cruiser.
55 feet and 45 tonnes? Awwww, come on. I don’t think so! That’s 900,000 lbs!

Let’s do some quick calculations here:

55 ft * 15 feet * 0.75 (prismatic coefficient) gives us a water plane area of about 619 sq feet. So each foot of immersion would displace 619 cubic feet. At 64 lbs/cu foot, that’s 39,400 lbs. JUST to float the boat would have to draw 900,000/39,400 = 22 Feet. No wonder it has “stability issues.”

You don’t need to pull the sharpest pencil from the box to know this is BS.

If I wanted to troll the forum, my post would look an awful lot like this one...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:08   #7
Registered User
 
Kelkara's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Boat: Hullmaster 27
Posts: 588
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
55 feet and 45 tonnes? Awwww, come on. I donít think so! Thatís 900,000 lbs!
Are you sure about that?
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:14   #8
Sempre Avanti
 
IslandHopper's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bundaberg Queensland, Australia.....
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,872
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Are you sure about that?
I bet they think they are
__________________
ďLook out the window, look at the chart, and look at the GPS,Ē.....ďIn that order.Ē
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:28   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
55 feet and 45 tonnes? Awwww, come on. I donít think so! Thatís 900,000 lbs!

Letís do some quick calculations here:

55 ft * 15 feet * 0.75 (prismatic coefficient) gives us a water plane area of about 619 sq feet. So each foot of immersion would displace 619 cubic feet. At 64 lbs/cu foot, thatís 39,400 lbs. JUST to float the boat would have to draw 900,000/39,400 = 22 Feet. No wonder it has ďstability issues.Ē

You donít need to pull the sharpest pencil from the box to know this is BS.

If I wanted to troll the forum, my post would look an awful lot like this one...
45000 kg = 52.91 US ton and 47.24 imperial ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-092446_Drive.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	218365  
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:32   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
55 feet and 45 tonnes? Awwww, come on. I don’t think so! That’s 900,000 lbs!

Let’s do some quick calculations here:

55 ft * 15 feet * 0.75 (prismatic coefficient) gives us a water plane area of about 619 sq feet. So each foot of immersion would displace 619 cubic feet. At 64 lbs/cu foot, that’s 39,400 lbs. JUST to float the boat would have to draw 900,000/39,400 = 22 Feet. No wonder it has “stability issues.”

You don’t need to pull the sharpest pencil from the box to know this is BS.

If I wanted to troll the forum, my post would look an awful lot like this one...
Why would anyone want to troll this forum? What could they possibly gain other than information relating to boating? Isn't this one of the reasons why this forum exists, to discuss boating topics.
Seriously!
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:37   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsy View Post
Why would anyone want to troll this forum? What could they possibly gain other than information relating to boating? Isn't this one of the reasons why this forum exists, to discuss boating topics.
Seriously!
Oh yeah by the way. My calculations put 45 ton at approx 99,000lbs not as you mentioned 900,000lbs.
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:38   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
55 feet and 45 tonnes? Awwww, come on. I donít think so! Thatís 900,000 lbs!

Letís do some quick calculations here:

55 ft * 15 feet * 0.75 (prismatic coefficient) gives us a water plane area of about 619 sq feet. So each foot of immersion would displace 619 cubic feet. At 64 lbs/cu foot, thatís 39,400 lbs. JUST to float the boat would have to draw 900,000/39,400 = 22 Feet. No wonder it has ďstability issues.Ē

You donít need to pull the sharpest pencil from the box to know this is BS.

If I wanted to troll the forum, my post would look an awful lot like this one...
Oh yeah by the way. My calculations put 45 ton at approx 99,000lbs not as you mentioned 900,000lbs.
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:40   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Talking Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I bet they think they are
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:01   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Here are a few pages on this boats operating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200630_094934.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	218367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200630_094904.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	218368  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_121300.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	218369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_121253.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	218370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_121237.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	218371  
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:02   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 22
Re: Electric magnetic field heath problems and sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralsy View Post
Here are a few pages on this boats operating
Operating procedures
__________________

Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, sea sickness

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydraulic-magnetic and Magnetic Overcurrent Circuit Breakers chrysm Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 4 17-03-2014 00:13
Sea Sickness and Stugeron 42AFJ Seamanship & Boat Handling 36 05-09-2013 14:05
sea sickness freetime Seamanship & Boat Handling 71 12-11-2008 23:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.