Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 04:03   #1

Boat: hunter, 1982, 30 ft
e80 upgrade to wifi and bluetooth

currently have e80
would like to upgrade to the e98, 97, Es98 series..for the Bluetooth capability for iPad use..any good results...also open to wifi only to blue tooth
summer love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 04:17   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: e80 upgrade to wifi and bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer love View Post
currently have e80
would like to upgrade to the e98, 97, Es98 series..for the Bluetooth capability for iPad use..any good results...also open to wifi only to blue tooth
If you have some electronics skills, then you might be interested in a blog post I did recently. I used some open source resources available to add WIFI capability to anything that outputs NMEA0183. We use it with Windows and Android, but it should work with iPad.

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/2018/01...ta-everywhere/
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 07:47   #3

Boat: 1982 Hunter 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
If you have some electronics skills, then you might be interested in a blog post I did recently. I used some open source resources available to add WIFI capability to anything that outputs NMEA0183. We use it with Windows and Android, but it should work with iPad.

checked out link, how did YOU flash the esp8266
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 10:43   #4

Boat: Amel 50

Add the Vesper XB-8000 AIS transponder with WiFi and Anchor Alarm to your system. It passes through NMEA data over WiFi. I use it with my e120. Also, the anchor alarm is a great feature.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/xb8000-ais-transponder
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 16:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlove View Post
checked out link, how did YOU flash the esp8266
This link will give you all the info you need to flash.
ESP8266 - Easiest way to program so far (Using Arduino IDE)

You will need a 3.3V FTDI device (easily had on ebay or other websites). This link will give you a better example for hookup as you don't need the 78xxl if you have a 3.3V FTDI device. It will power the esp8266 during flashing.

How to connect to the ESP8266 using a FTDI adapter – Autonomii

The VESPER mentioned above is a great device if you don't want to mess with electronics. I just couldn't justify the $200 for the WIFI capability (XB-8000 is $200 more than the XB-6000).
Old 22-01-2018, 17:29   #6

Quote:
currently have e80

Hey
The raymarine Axiom is your best option. I have used it for a year and it works great for me
Magnus
Myboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 08:29   #7

problem is that we were told that the radar, depth finder, raymarine engine computer, gps aren't adaptable to axion.....a lot of work for addition of wifi
Old 23-01-2018, 08:34   #8

Quote:
problem is that we were told that the radar, depth finder, raymarine engine computer, gps aren't adaptable to axion.....a lot of work for addition of wifi

That is almost correct. When upgrading to axiom (or any new device) you can not use your old analog radar. You must buy new radar or make do without. However the rest of your stuff is easily converted into your new system with Raymarine’s Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter.
This also applies to all new devices
Myboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 12:20   #9

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
currently have e80
Keep the E80. Add a wireless router ($40) and a serial to Ethernet device such as the one linked below. Setup is easy but note the following:

If you need gps, heading, waypoints, routes, etc. then you just tap off the serial connections on the E80, which will allow your iPad app to communicate with the E80.

If you want AIS data (coming from your radio most likely), then you tap off the serial connection between the AIS source and the E80.

If you want analog radar via Wifi, it cannot be done on the ipad but you can do it on a Windows tablet or PC. Either use OpenCPN or RayTECH software.

I recommend that you get a wireless router and a serial/Ethernet bridge because it is more flexible. It allows many options and can all be configured on your iPad (i.e. use router as a local access point for the marina Wifi, connect sonar to your E80 alongside with the nmea stuff, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/USR-TCP232-30...W0BDA7HNKGB6X2

Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 13:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

Edit.. The cost was about $8USD for this project.
Old 24-01-2018, 06:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Keep the E80. Add a wireless router ($40) and a serial to Ethernet device such as the one linked below. Setup is easy but note the following:

If you need gps, heading, waypoints, routes, etc. then you just tap off the serial connections on the E80, which will allow your iPad app to communicate with the E80.

If you want AIS data (coming from your radio most likely), then you tap off the serial connection between the AIS source and the E80.

If you want analog radar via Wifi, it cannot be done on the ipad but you can do it on a Windows tablet or PC. Either use OpenCPN or RayTECH software.

I recommend that you get a wireless router and a serial/Ethernet bridge because it is more flexible. It allows many options and can all be configured on your iPad (i.e. use router as a local access point for the marina Wifi, connect sonar to your E80 alongside with the nmea stuff, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/USR-TCP232-30...W0BDA7HNKGB6X2

Pizzazz
can I use the sea talk hs nmea output connector to connect directly to an Ethernet switch and then connect directly to a wifi unit?
Old 24-01-2018, 07:00   #12

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
can I use the sea talk hs nmea output connector to connect directly to an Ethernet switch and then connect directly to a wifi unit?
There is no such thing as Seatalk hs nmea output. The NMEA output comes from the NMEA plug on the back of the E80. You can use a serial/nmea to Ethernet converter to plug this into the router and get the NMEA output via wireless. You then use an app on the tablet/phone/PC that can use this data.

The Seatalk has port outputs all sorts of data, charts, radar, sonar, etc. but it is in a proprietary format. The only devices that understand that format are other E80s, the Raymarine RayTech software and the Raymarine radar plugin that recently appeared. If you have a windows tablet, use RayTech. If you use OpenCPN use the plugin for the radar only. Otherwise leave Seatalk hs alone.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 12:49   #13

I’m only quoting the name on back of the E80 as I see it above the connector
Old 24-01-2018, 13:11   #14

Check pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2CDABD9-09DE-4E96-A283-F7EB008EF306.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	162789  
Old 25-01-2018, 08:08   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

Be sure to post up whatever solution you go with. I'm too cheap to spend much but in no way handy enough to try travellerw's solution. Maybe he should go into business