Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 18:31   #1

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2
DST800 Triducer

We recently upgraded some of our electronics. As part of getting bottom paint done, we asked the yard to install the DST800 thru hull.

Once we got the boat home, finished installing the new NMEA 2000 network and swapped out the plug for the triducer, we realized that the arrow is not pointing forward. We sent a relatively pleasant email, given my current mood, to which the responded:

"The transducer housing has a notch for toward you need to twist the insert to slide in to the notch"

Now, we feel that this idiot is telling us how to get the triducer into the hull. We sent him a picture showing it installed, with the arrow NOT POINTING FORWARD, but not off by 90 degrees, either. That is, we didn't just put it in the wrong notch, it is impossible to point it forward.

Are we missing something, is there something we can do to realign the triducer? Or do we just need to grab him by the ear and drag him into the bilge?
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 18:48   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: DST800 Triducer

Before the transducer is fully inserted it rotates. It is possible to tighten the nut in any position, but not correct. You have to rotate it back and forth till it slips into the notch. At that point it should be aligned facing forward. If not then the thruhull is installed improperly. Your description sounds like you are inserting properly, just not 100% clear
Old 12-08-2017, 20:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Before the transducer is fully inserted it rotates. It is possible to tighten the nut in any position, but not correct. You have to rotate it back and forth till it slips into the notch. At that point it should be aligned facing forward. If not then the thruhull is installed improperly. Your description sounds like you are inserting properly, just not 100% clear
In this case, partially inserted opens the valve and causes increased water flow which doesn't shut off until you find the notch. We discovered this because my poor husband was trying to install it straight. Since I let him go first, I had much less water in the boat from my swap out.
Old 12-08-2017, 23:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStory View Post
In this case, partially inserted opens the valve and causes increased water flow which doesn't shut off until you find the notch. We discovered this because my poor husband was trying to install it straight. Since I let him go first, I had much less water in the boat from my swap out.
After this description I'm not sure you have the transducer inserted properly. The notch is very small and shallow. It has nothing to do with the backflow valve. Make sure you have inserted the transducer until it hits the top of the throughhull. Then twist it till the arrow is forward and you find the small notch to set it down just a little bit more. It will no longer teist once you find the slot.
Old 13-08-2017, 06:18   #5

OK, I gave it a twist...I am able to line it up, but did not feel another notch. The first two times (once for the 'ducer, once for the plug) no water came in once the unit was seated. The twisting did cause some water to ooze in, although it stopped once I screwed the but down.

Husband says I have to wait until the sun is up to try again.
Old 13-08-2017, 07:23   #6

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

I just purchased a DST800 to install In my boat when I pull it next. Sitting on my sofa with good light and my best reading glasses I just got through giving it a close inspection. The plastic thru hull does indeed have a fore & aft orientation. There is an arrow on the flange only visible from the bottom. When the thru hull in installed correctly the curved flap valve will hinge out of the way into the aft section of the thru hull . The only other indication is a 1/4 " gap in the first thread, that gap should be facing forward.
UNLIKE AIRMAR TRANSDUCERS OF THE PAST THIS COMBO DOES NOT HAVE A "NOTCH" THAT ALIGNS THE INSERT FORE & AFT WHEN INSERTED.
Because of the way this unit seals with the yellow o-ring at the top that actually recesses into the top of the thru hull you will have to just eyeball the arrow to be pointing forward. If you have trouble with this maybe take shooting lessons or just close one eye while aiming it. The unit will be fully watertite tightened in any orientation.
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 08:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
I just purchased a DST800 to install In my boat when I pull it next. Sitting on my sofa with good light and my best reading glasses I just got through giving it a close inspection. The plastic thru hull does indeed have a fore & aft orientation. There is an arrow on the flange only visible from the bottom. When the thru hull in installed correctly the curved flap valve will hinge out of the way into the aft section of the thru hull . The only other indication is a 1/4 " gap in the first thread, that gap should be facing forward.
UNLIKE AIRMAR TRANSDUCERS OF THE PAST THIS COMBO DOES NOT HAVE A "NOTCH" THAT ALIGNS THE INSERT FORE & AFT WHEN INSERTED.
Because of the way this unit seals with the yellow o-ring at the top that actually recesses into the top of the thru hull you will have to just eyeball the arrow to be pointing forward. If you have trouble with this maybe take shooting lessons or just close one eye while aiming it. The unit will be fully watertite tightened in any orientation.
Thank you! This description was perfect!

Install directions still said to aim it forward.

Plus, we just don't trust our yard. The same haul out we asked them to replace a seacock. Not only did they forget to do that, they claimed to have inspected them all and none needed anything. Previously, they had replaced the head intake, rather than the discharge.
Old 13-08-2017, 08:43   #8

My DST800 will install in any orientation too.

You don't have to be too precise about the arrow direction. +/- 10 degrees isn't going to have any effect that is noticeable.

The speed really is not accurate anyway - my DST800 varies considerably, depending on the state of cleanliness of the bottom. It reads about half a knot higher, just after the bottom is cleaned, than it will just before (this is based on a 3 month interval).

Presumably the laminar flow near to the hull is disturbed by marine growth.
Old 13-08-2017, 13:38   #9

My dst800 is about 3 or 4 years old. When you insert it drops a small bit when twisted to it's final fore aft position into a notch. You can tell if the transducer is fully installed if you are in an area where you can dive under the boat. It will be perfectly flush with the throughhull fitting.