Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 12:59   #31

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: dreaming of buying boat for big family

Personally I think you'll have trouble squeezing that family onto a 46 inch sailboat.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 13:09   #32
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart555 View Post
Thank you!

We think that 45” sails boat it’s ok for summer vacation for our big family, but little small for trying living aboard long time!

What’s about 49” Jeanneau 2006-2008?
It’s close to our budget.
The center cockpit is what will work if anything. They tend to utilize a lot of interior space very well. A private aft cabin for Mom dad and baby, forward V for older teen and settees and lee cloths for other kids. You will have to be close but as I mentioned adding ten more feet may seem way bigger but once off the dock every boat gets real small real quick. Get onboard a center to see for yourself, as with all some layouts are better than others but something 45-50’ will be massive in comparison to your 32. I have met a family of 6 summer cruising a 27’ boat so it will all come down to your family. People will argue but personally if you’re planing offshore passages in the future, look for a modified full keel and a skeg hung rudder as a minimum.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 13:09   #33
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Personally I think you'll have trouble squeezing that family onto a 46 inch sailboat.
hahahaha!
Old 21-12-2017, 13:38   #34
rbk

Look up the Gifford family, been cruising since 2008 with 3 kids on a 47’ mono.
Old 21-12-2017, 13:48   #35

Boat: Lagoon 400 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If living at a marina and spending most of your time ashore maybe
If actual cruising, needing to carry gear, spares, a REAL dinghy and several weeks of supplies, I reckon not.

There are 2 of us and a cat living on the 60fter in the avatar.
Have not been in a marina in 2 years and we do it comfortably and I wouldn't want to be doing it on anything less.
Thank you!
Your trawler at avatar looks good. How old is it? And may I ask you how much hours in engine have you got per year? How much do you spend for maintenance ,repair and fuel? If you use generator what is fuel consumption for running it during staying on anchor? I wonder if it’s possible to use solar panels for trawlers?
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:54   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

Your kids are young I believe so no issue sharing a cabin (larger monos often have a cabin with 2 singles in a bunk configuration). But ensure nobody needs to sleep in shared areas when not on passage (that is, don’t rely on settee berths for permanent sleeping).

However, if your kids will be reaching puberty, then they’ll want private space. Consider how your family will grow into the space.

As a teenager living aboard with my parents on a small volume 32 footer (many years ago), the dinghy saved me. Either I was underneath it on the foredeck where we stored it upside down on passage, or I was taking it to explore and drift wherever we were, or we scrapped at each other in the tight space. Private cabins would have really helped.

The biggest challenge with getting a larger mono or even mid sized catamaran is to avoid models with a lot of heads. Two is plenty, as especially in the tropics you’ll only used them for the toilet - showers will usually take place on deck. More than two heads are a waste of space.

As someone else has noted, every boat gets much smaller as soon as you leave the dock. And much larger when you have to dock in a tight spot or have to clean and paint the bottom. But any boat up to 60 feet can be single handed given a reasonable design and fit out. So don’t let size necessarily put you off.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:58   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Look up the Gifford family, been cruising since 2008 with 3 kids on a 47’ mono.
People live in tiny caravans and some sail oceans in washing machines.
Doesnt make it comfortable or fun
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 15:18   #38

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart555 View Post
Thank you!
Your trawler at avatar looks good. How old is it? And may I ask you how much hours in engine have you got per year? How much do you spend for maintenance ,repair and fuel? If you use generator what is fuel consumption for running it during staying on anchor? I wonder if it’s possible to use solar panels for trawlers?
How old is it?
1970 build as working trawler - rebuilt as cruiser in 2005
how much hours in engine have you got per year?
we do around 400 hours/year @ 8knots @ approx 15 lph
Engine had fairly low hours and its type are apparently good for 30,000+ hours before rebuild so should outlast us and the boat.
How much do you spend for maintenance ,repair
Maintenance will vary depending on what needs doing and we are both handy, can use epoxy and count to 3 - we have budgeted $25k/year but so far we are half of that. We plan on getting her out of the country where wages and diesel are considerably cheaper than Australia.
If you use generator what is fuel consumption for running it during staying on anchor?
about 2 litres/hour for 2 hours a day, but rarely use it
I wonder if it’s possible to use solar panels for trawlers?
Yes, we have 9x 250w on the roof.
On a sunny day that runs 2 houshold fridges, 1 household freezer a 180 litre household hot water system plus other stuff and keeps battery's fully charged by days end.

We bought this vessel inside your budget.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 16:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
How old is it?
1970 build as working trawler - rebuilt as cruiser in 2005
how much hours in engine have you got per year?
we do around 400 hours/year @ 8knots @ approx 15 lph
Engine had fairly low hours and its type are apparently good for 30,000+ hours before rebuild so should outlast us and the boat.
How much do you spend for maintenance ,repair
Maintenance will vary depending on what needs doing and we are both handy, can use epoxy and count to 3 - we have budgeted $25k/year but so far we are half of that. We plan on getting her out of the country where wages and diesel are considerably cheaper than Australia.
If you use generator what is fuel consumption for running it during staying on anchor?
about 2 litres/hour for 2 hours a day, but rarely use it
I wonder if it’s possible to use solar panels for trawlers?
Yes, we have 9x 250w on the roof.
On a sunny day that runs 2 houshold fridges, 1 household freezer a 180 litre household hot water system plus other stuff and keeps battery's fully charged by days end.

We bought this vessel inside your budget.
Thank you so much for very useful information!
Old 15-10-2018, 09:14   #40

Thank you very much for all advices!

All in all we made up our mind, sold the house and got the boat over budget. Now we’re happy owners of Catamaran 2011 Lagoon 40”. And we’re sailing the Caribbean at the moment during 4 months!
We made a funny video boat tour with our kids for those who is looking for a family boat if you’re interested we would be glad if you watch

https://youtu.be/eGzDuZL3XA4

and make some comments!
Welcome aboard!
Old 15-10-2018, 09:51   #41

Boat: Outremer 55L

That is so awesome, thanks for checking back in with the result to your original post!! Unless you’re inhumanly practical, I expect it’s normal to overspend your budget when you find a boat that speaks to you. Will you be living aboard between cruising until you’re ready to take off permanently?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:54   #42

Congratulations!
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 12:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you !
Old 15-10-2018, 16:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That is so awesome, thanks for checking back in with the result to your original post!! Unless you’re inhumanly practical, I expect it’s normal to overspend your budget when you find a boat that speaks to you. Will you be living aboard between cruising until you’re ready to take off permanently?
Thank you so much!
Actually since starting a sailing lifestyle it’s difficult to make plans
We were lucky to get the boat ready for cruising. It has everything necessary for long trips and living aboard during long time, like solar panels, watermaker, wind generator, diesel generator and so on. In the begging our plan was to return to Florida but we changed our mind in the middle of the way and decided to start homeschooling , to slow down and go on sailing. We also spent some money to upgrade for new electronics and made bottom paint (it was costly) So it’s reasonable to use the boat for another 2-3 years.

Tags
boat, buying, family