Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49   #151

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having met phill last year when he stopped in falmouth for repairs i can attest to his integrity.

these people are adding insult to injury,phill could have walked away from the delivery in st martin,as the boat was not up to the southern ocean route ,but chose not to,instead taking the longer route and fullfilled the contract.

in doing so he was unable to do another 2 deliveries lined up for august and september in the med and atlantic,so lost out there as well.

i know phil's rates,and he was allready giving the people a heavily discounted rate,so even if they had paid in full at the end they would have had a very good deal at around a quarter of the price a proffesional delivery company would have charged.
I agree that the decent thing for them to do is to pay up. I don't know how people like this sleep at night. What a disgraceful way to treat another human being!
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 00:47   #152
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Hey, Wotname, check your PMs... I send you a message with various informations relating to Port Huon... leads into channel, location of red-wine vendors, tabacconists, bordellos, etc. for you to pass on to the eternal mariner!
Thanks mate, I got it!

All good info so I have printed it out ready for when I next hear from Mr Boatman. This should be around 1.5 weeks or Nov 20 and when he gets some 3G coverage!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:42   #153

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

Geoffrey. Any news? I know you said November 20 but wondered if you have radio contact. Unrelated but yesterday morning I was on the beach at Newell to watch the eclipse.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 03:32   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
Geoffrey. Any news? I know you said November 20 but wondered if you have radio contact. Unrelated but yesterday morning I was on the beach at Newell to watch the eclipse.
No Simmo, not yet. Boaty is travelling in radio silence .
Forecast winds have been a bit light in his area recently (< 10 kts) but will be picking up.
Hopefully he will be close (or there) by Tuesday (20th) as forecast for Tuesday through to Thursday is not looking so good with either a strong westerly or Northerly up to 40 kts and pushing 50 kts for a short period Thursday PM.

How was the eclipse?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 16-11-2012, 03:45   #155

Boat: Able 50

It's gotta be mighty cold down there. The last few nights at my house in Sydney have only been 14c. I'm guessing boatman's nights would be about 8c.

Brrrrr !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 04:30   #156

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Weather has been pretty good here the last couple of days, Windy yesterday and the day before,
Not cold at night,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:35   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It's gotta be mighty cold down there. The last few nights at my house in Sydney have only been 14c. I'm guessing boatman's nights would be about 8c.

Brrrrr !
Hmm... maybe. The Spring average SST is 12 to14 and the actual SST is currently in that range according to the BOM site although I note some colder water currently to the south west of Tas of 10 and below. The prevailing wind over the water should not drop much below the SST but I do agree that whatever the temperature, it will be cold after 7 months of the tropics across the Pacific.

Plus the wind chill so I guess Boaty will be cool at night.

Edit: I forgot to consider the wind direction . Of course the Northerlies will be much warmer than the Southerlies and the Westerlies will depend on whether that they have been generated by a high or low.

Of course this is rather academic for me as I sit on a WA NW island in the mid 30's hiding from the sun
Old 17-11-2012, 01:50   #158

Sydney has been cold. Two days this week couldn't make it above 18.
Old 17-11-2012, 02:14   #159

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post

Brrrrr !
This phenomenon is why we don't live down there! During their summer (if they have one that year) it is bloody lovely, but then ten minutes later the gin is freezing in the G&T that was so nice in the recent past!

I hope that boatie is not becoming solid and that he is enjoying the passage. I know that he will enjoy Tassie!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-11-2012, 02:40   #160

February and March are the best months in Tassie.
Old 17-11-2012, 20:13   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred Spirits View Post
Hey Boatie,

If you are passing Port Fairy (near Warrnambool) call in for a bit of hospitality - Victorian style. Would love to see you and we are in a great, safe little river.

Marie and Ian.
Late breaking news; Boatie has just phoned home! Well, he phoned me anyway!

As of 12.00 WST he was a couple of miles out of Portland Vic and calling in for fuel and a steak! He plans to overnight there and maybe continue on to Port Fairy due to Marie & Ian's kind invitation

He reports he did drop down as far as 45 S but the cold was a bit more than uncomfortable and Blue Moon II wasn't handling the SO too well so moved back north and will transit Bass Strait and then down the Tassie east coast.
Old 17-11-2012, 20:32   #162

Clearly his being a pom is but a distant memory. A true blue pommie would have been out there in a t shirt revelling in the balmy ( or is it barmy ?) summer conditions.
Old 18-11-2012, 02:45   #163

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

23 Monday, 28 Tuesday 23 Wednesday, Thats +C spring time in Melbourne,

Tell him to drop in when he gets here, Its on the way past to the east coast of Tassie,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 12:55   #164

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I worked on the boat in shorts and a t-shirt all weekend. Its forecast to be in the 20s all week here.

Plenty of good anchorages coming down the East coast, depending on the wind direction. Let me know if you want any info.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 13:00   #165
CLOD

Boat: none

must be that weird number system 20s