Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

On this thread it should be that you are not judged by what you give, but by the fact that you give. If only words or moral support, it is still giving, and a pleasure to see and read.

Coops.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32   #137

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
On this thread it should be that you are not judged by what you give, but by the fact that you give. If only words or moral support, it is still giving, and a pleasure to see and read.

Coops.
Thanks Coops, its good to know all the good people on here.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43   #138
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I have just read through this thread for the first time. Wotname, and many others here have just started restoring my faith in humanity and there are not sufficient words that can describe their humanity. Put simply, they have taken today's world and wound it back a good number of decades by coming to the rescue of a stranded sailor like they have.

Believe me, my wife and I have experienced the dregs of society in a family member and his wife for the last 6 years and when she lost her father a few days ago, they sunk to even lower levels. Amazing what money can do to people and the schemes they can come up with to get their grubby little paws on it. Then they ensure that she doesn't even get to pay her last respects to her father, who will likely be laid to rest today or tomorrow!

Hope you get sorted quickly Boatman. The wheel turns!

It takes all types to make a world and some we can do without. Fortunately,as I have seen, there are fantastic people too. We are just looking for those fantastic people on the Isle of Man because so far, this family member and his wife are lower than shark **** in my eyes.

Boatman, Wotname, we have some looming massive legal bills ahead of us on the Isle of Man but if you pm me with an email address I will squeeze a few pennies out for your fight my friends. I just hope that the small amount I give is not an insult; its just that we have to prepare for a massive legal battle whilst getting ready for our boat purchase and new life at the same time.
Thank you for your very kind words Bluewaters, I can promise you that your thoughts and well wishes mean far more to Boatman (and me) than any amount of money (large or small).

This doesn't belittle all those who have so generously donated for even a fine waterman like Phil needs to eat and drink while fighting the good fight but I know for a fact that he would not accept money from anyone cannot really afford to give it.

While we have a few jokes and laughs here on this thread, there remains an underlying principle that a good man's trust was seriously taken advantage off and he was left with no more than "f*^k off and goodbye" and far from home. That it happened on his first visit to Australia (and in my town) only rubs salt into the wound as far as I am concerned and I for one have been more than willing to do my bit to address this injustice. It is important to note though that many many people around the world have been helping Boaty both financially and with moral support. It is somewhat humbling to be at the receiving end of so much support, especially as almost all of has come from people he has never met and is unlikely to do so.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:15   #139

Hi Wotname (Geoff), I have sent you a PM in response to yours. Like I said, I am one of those people who cannot idly stand by and watch an injustice take place so just know that our thoughts are with Boatman and once again, well done for what you have so generously given. It would be an honour to meet you and Boatman one day and I hope that as soon as we have pushed through our own rough water right now, that we will get to our boat and eventually sail to your waters one day.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Hi Wotname (Geoff), I have sent you a PM in response to yours. Like I said, I am one of those people who cannot idly stand by and watch an injustice take place so just know that our thoughts are with Boatman and once again, well done for what you have so generously given. It would be an honour to meet you and Boatman one day and I hope that as soon as we have pushed through our own rough water right now, that we will get to our boat and eventually sail to your waters one day.
you might be interested in reading the account of the voyage to aus by phil if you missed it,being a relativly new menber.

thread here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lan-78699.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58   #141

Boat: O'Day 28

This thread just keeps on giving! Thanks to Wotname, Boaty has given new meaning to making lemons into lemonade:
Attached Images

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you might be interested in reading the account of the voyage to aus by phil if you missed it,being a relativly new menber.

thread here
Thanks Atoll, have been very busy today with Advocates etc etc but will def have a look.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14   #143

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Well, next week I am heading to Somalia - only thing left to do is set up the "donate now" Website .
What happened to your old "donate now" website?

Bludy hel, you can't have more than one!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58   #144

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
As Bob Marley said "Everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth the pain". May not be as much truth in that as I once believed.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 15:04   #145

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks for the advice Weyalan. The passage plan is to stay around 40S until 140E and make a decision then go either N or S with the preference being S and staying well offshore until he can clear the bottom of Tassie and head up towards Hobart without getting blown into NZ.

This is all new water for him (and me)

Of course, this is only a plan and the weather may dictate completely different actions
If he ducks south, the first really bomb-proof anchorage once you get around Southeast Cape is Recherche Bay... my preferred spot is a little bay called The Coalbins... pretty much bullet proof in any wind direction.

From there northwards tell him to be careful going through the Acteon Islands... lots of submerged reefs (but well marked on charts and plotters)

Therafter there are myriad anchorages... one could spend a month or more getting to Hobart and never stay in the same anchorage! Let me know if you want any more recommendations for anchorages or, indeed, places to keep the boat in and / or around Hobart / The Channel
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:50   #146
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

thread here
Thanks for that Atoll, I wasn't aware that this old thread had been released back into the public domain.

It is good see even if though it has been (rightfully) moderated in places.

Thanks again
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:52   #147

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Hey, Wotname, check your PMs... I send you a message with various informations relating to Port Huon... leads into channel, location of red-wine vendors, tabacconists, bordellos, etc. for you to pass on to the eternal mariner!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:41   #148

Quote:

thread here
Thanks Atoll, I have now caught up from the beginning with the thread. Really grates me when decent people are taken for a ride!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Thanks Atoll, I have now caught up from the beginning with the thread. Really grates me when decent people are taken for a ride!
having met phill last year when he stopped in falmouth for repairs i can attest to his integrity.

these people are adding insult to injury,phill could have walked away from the delivery in st martin,as the boat was not up to the southern ocean route ,but chose not to,instead taking the longer route and fullfilled the contract.

in doing so he was unable to do another 2 deliveries lined up for august and september in the med and atlantic,so lost out there as well.

i know phil's rates,and he was allready giving the people a heavily discounted rate,so even if they had paid in full at the end they would have had a very good deal at around a quarter of the price a proffesional delivery company would have charged.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Well, next week I am heading to Somalia - only thing left to do is set up the "donate now" Website .
I only donate to the goat...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote