Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Don Lucas in Hospital - a little Get Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Glad you are doing well Don.

Careful of the body cavity search......
There was me thinking that Don will need to watch his blood pressure, sure this picture helped
Get well soon mate, good to hear your on the mend
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 00:58   #47

I wish you a complete and speedy recovery.

Take good care of your heart. Anyone over 40 should have an electrocardiogram stress test on a treadmill or stationary bike at least every other year. I had mine last week.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19   #48

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sounds like you dodged a bullet! You're lucky!

Get well soon!
He either dodged the bullet or he is the bullet (a "bullet" in South Africa is an old guy) lol. Jokes aside, hope you're out of there real quick Don.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:50   #49
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Good to hear that you are on the mend.

All the best for a quick recovery.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:16   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having a stent put in is like new valves in an old engine and often vastly improve performance.......the other upgrades are bearings and rings,so count your self lucky you only needed a valve job......i hear ring jobs can be painful..........

get well soon!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Nothing is as scary as time in a cardiac ward! Glad to hear it went well and you will be heading home.

As you may know the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) allows for around four months off to recover from major illnesses. Clearly going cruising for a month or so would be a proper convalescence! And you can use all that accumulated sick time.

Bill

PS after a while, chicken and veggie burgers do taste good.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:00   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

In the interest of Dons blood pressure, any future nurse photos should be similar to the sample below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	52640  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Get well, Don!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:22   #54
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Yes Don, get well and get back - we need to put an end to these insispid posts!!!!!!!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30   #55

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

DON,

A. Make sure the stent is bronze, not brass.
B. Repairs to the pump, should include built-in non-return features. ( no 2nd visits)
C. Those nurses may require heavy amp draw, with quick recovery. ( ya know wadimeen?)
D. Hope you are out of the yard quickly.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43   #56
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Again thanks everyone for the well wishes. I should be getting out the hospital today.

On a serious note (sounds wrong coming from me I bet):

We all read stories like my as far as heart attacks. I actually thought something was wrong 2 years years ago and asked to my doctor about it. I had been having shortness of breath etc that I felt really could not be explained my lack of exercise and fitness level.

The doctor gave me an EKG in the office (that was the second 1 I had had in 2 years) and it was fine He said there was something a little off but that it wasn't anything to be concerned with.

The doctor gave me a referral for getting a stress test. But I had hurt my foot and could barely walk, so I never got around to doing the tests.

During the 2 years after that I would be the feel problem off and on but didn't really think too much about it. During that time even have been going to the gym and working out and would routinely be able to get my heart rate up to 80% and hold it a while without any noticeable issue.

The night before I had the event that send me to the hospital I had what was pretty bad chest pain when I went upstairs to bed. But the night after that the chest pain was pretty bad and was radiating into my back to the point that even a pretty pain tolerant guy got worried enough that it wasn't indigestion etc and that I would be having a heart attack.

So I decided to go to the emergency room. Got dressed and went downstairs all this time in pain. But figuring my wife could drive me to the hos[ital faster than calling an ambulance. But half way to the hospital the pain went away and I felt pretty much normal once I got there.

So at the emergency room they said my symptoms made me a priority case, but they didn't really seem concerned. I sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes till they came and got me. They gave me an EKG that didn't show any problems. Then left me alone sitting in an exam room for another 20 minutes. Then moved me to a trauma room and drew some blood and then hooked me up to a monitor.

So I sit there a couple of hours. All this time feeling foolish for having come to he emergency room to start with. I got word that my blood work didn't show anything. So by now I had been there 5 years, feeling normal, with no problem indicated by the EKG or blood work and NO doctor had even been in to see me yet.

So I checked myself out and went home against medical advise (this is the biggest bullet I survived really). Yes this in hindsight was foolish, but in my defense you would have had to have been there to have the same sense of no issue that I got while there.

So I got home and managed to get to sleep about 4am. At 5am I woke up from something and had chest pain again that went into my upper back and radiated out to my shoulders and both arms. BUT I didn't do anything.

Later in the morning went to my primary doctor's and told them the events.They gave me another EKG, that again showed nothing wrong. They even compared it to the one they had given me 2 years prior and they looked the same. But I was feeling pretty forceful and managed to get an opening for a stress test later than morning.

I go down to the lab for the test and the last got stopped in 4 minutes because the doctor monitoring it got ALL freaked out. My pulse went from around 120 to 300 and I was still walking at the time. I gave the chest pain at that time a 4 compared to the 10 that send me to the hospital the night before.

So they stopped the test and I sit down and they gave me oxygen and I felt OK within about a minute. To me it was like what I had been having off/on for a while when I over did it and I recovered quickly.

But they were freaked out and in a panic and called the ambulance and wouldn't let me drive to the hospital (I had of course drove myself there etc).

So I ended up in the hospital and got the strent. Various doctors said it was kind of amazing that I had never passed out and could somehow even Ker walking around. The differences in the pictures of my heart showing blood flow between before and after opening up the artery are amazing!

Maybe my past youth of being a distance runner/marathoner and later a biker in the end saved my life on this one as in thinking about it now I was pretty lucky to have survived this whole thing. My blood work finally did show a heart attack, but a pretty minor one compared to how serve the problem was.

So the moral of the story, that everyone has read before don't ignore heart pain and breathlessness problems. Don't start believing that it is normal etc. Don't let yourself feel you are being a wimp by seeking care and proper tests.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes...EKG's don't always show a problem. This happened with my 2nd. event. They almost killed me on a treadmill trying to figure it out, even with a heart history. One thing I will mention Don and please feel free to pm. me about it...Is...post surgery. The event sets up an enzyme change in the body causing (at least for me) 8 weeks of depression. I had to ask about it to get that information from a doctor. One would think they would tell you about it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Don, sounds all a bit scary, thank god your weren't several days offshore.

Take it easy and have a small glass of red wine each night if your allowed.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Don,

Very good advice. Chest pains are not to be ignored, even if one is in good health, exercises and seems to be at low risk for heart problems.

Another point, all heart attacks don't follow the commonly recognized symptoms. My wife had a heart attack a few years ago and it started with pain in her mouth and jaws but later did radiate down her arms all the way to her hands but never much in her chest. Like you after a couple of hours she felt completely normal but a little later when she mentioned the incident to our daughter, an ER docter, the daughter freaked (rhetorically speaking) and insisted on an immediate trip to the hospital where tests confirmed my wife had a heart attack.

She had no obvious risk factors; not overweight at all, exercises, her cholesteral, BP and other heart factors all good. So don't think it can't happen to you.

Glad to hear they're letting you out of hospital jail soon. I was going to suggest we take up a collection.......

for the hospital staff.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20   #60
Armchair Bucketeer

Yeah - get well soon etc .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote