Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 17:09   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Document Question

The thing is, anyone can go into court and say "That's not my signature, I never signed that or saw it before." Heck, one summer I signed for tens of thousands of dollars of UPS deliveries as "Washington Irving" (as in Catch-22) and the drivers never even read it, much less questioned it.

But on the other hand, if there's a notarized document, and you say "I never saw that, I never signed it" and the notary has done their job and perhaps made a photocopy of your government photo ID? Folks are liable to question whether you DID sign that document, or if there's some great conspiracy against you.

There was a big murder trial in Scarsdale NY back in, maybe the late 80's. Both sides presented "original" copies of a Sprint phone bill, one showing the defendant was someplace else making a phone call at the time, the other "original" not showing any such call. This at a time when commercially laser-printed bills were not so easily faked. I forget who eventually "proved" anything over this, I think the court eventually just threw out the questionable bill, in a sea of other evidence and charges.

The whole purpose of notaries, is to provide a third-party objective attestation as to who actually signed a document. (Along with when and where.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 22:23   #32

Re: Document Question

I think it's been explained but to add a little:
- The USA has a weird relationship with Cuba. US Citizens doing business that involves Cuba gets messy.
- Florida has lots of people leave boats there but live elsewhere. Many try to avoid paying the tax on said boats.

If the bill of sale is signed and states that everything but the broker is outside of Florida, I fail to see how an affidavit to the same effect is invading your privacy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men