Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Do you worry about Pirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Sadly, many places, too many places, on shore are too dangerous to walk around unarmed too.
I see you are in Florida, would you like to name all these dangerous places with pirates in 800 miles of your home port? Do you ever travel further than this btw?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
So in that situation if they only have machetes and one hand gun , having your own AK would probably make them just turn away at the sight of it
Isn't this the difference between opportunist thief and a pirate? bit like the local crim walking around the neighbourhood and seeing an open window in a house.

Pete
Old 05-08-2018, 05:43   #93

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I'm waiting for pirates in the ICW. No doubt will be near a cut. Rob and run away out to sea.
When that happens, one will see the population of shotguns greatly increase.
Just shoot their RIB and keep steaming as you report it to the USCG.
I, like all boat owners, have a lot of time and money invested in our boats. I dont like sharing.
If that makes me a bad person, I am bad.
Yes, I have a concealed weapons permit so I also have a .45. I am armed when I travel in the US and sometimes when I go to the bank, depending on how much money I draw out. I have asked a bank employee to watch me until I get to my car. I would turn around only to discover they had their back to me, totally distracted.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:38   #94

Hi asistephen
Showing your weapon may not be wise. The pirates in this area are sort of part timers. If they see a weapon they may return to land and inform the cartels that there is a gringo with a weapon on board and presumedly has cargo worth fighting for. The gangs have big guns and fast boats. A long gun such as an AK or AR is very formidable but is very hard to hide in the highly unlikely event that authorities search your boat. Its may be better to become comfortable with a hand gun because its easier to hide. If your purpose is to stop pirates fom boarding your boat then a hand gun at close range is all you need. As mentioned previously, locals boarding your boat at anchor is also a big problem. There was a murder in St. Lucia earlier this year. Always check with the the local cruisers in your new area. The best weapon is your brain. Travel in groups, at night with no lights. With all this in mind you are more likely to get struck by lightening than boarded by pirates.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41   #95

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Americans with guns, far more frightening than imaginary pirates.

Forgive me, but your comment makes you appear more hateful and prejudiced than experienced and knowledgeable.

I am unaware of a single example of "Americans with guns" who brought harm to their fellow sailors, or their vessels, let alone at a higher incidence than piracy.

Can you point to any statistics at all which make your fear rational? Anecdotal accounts, even? Any justification whatsoever for making such a blanket condemnation?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:44   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by geozeck View Post
Hi asistephen
Showing your weapon may not be wise. The pirates in this area are sort of part timers. If they see a weapon they may return to land and inform the cartels that there is a gringo with a weapon on board and presumedly has cargo worth fighting for. The gangs have big guns and fast boats. A long gun such as an AK or AR is very formidable but is very hard to hide in the highly unlikely event that authorities search your boat. Its may be better to become comfortable with a hand gun because its easier to hide. If your purpose is to stop pirates fom boarding your boat then a hand gun at close range is all you need. As mentioned previously, locals boarding your boat at anchor is also a big problem. There was a murder in St. Lucia earlier this year. Always check with the the local cruisers in your new area. The best weapon is your brain. Travel in groups, at night with no lights. With all this in mind you are more likely to get struck by lightening than boarded by pirates.
Hi geozek
Thanks that’s good advice !
but my problem is being British I don’t know how I could own a gun legally when traveling everywhere. If any Brit knows please tell me . I should point out before someone says I’ll probably shoot myself Im ex army and can use an assault weapon and hand guns, and granades and knife and hands . None of which I ever hope to need to again. But I’m not going to roll over for someone to hurt my beautiful woman and family so any advice is welcome thanks again.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48   #97

Do they attack in the day or mostly at night?

Or is it random ?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Americans with guns, far more frightening than imaginary pirates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Forgive me, but your comment makes you appear more hateful and prejudiced than experienced and knowledgeable.

Can you point to any statistics at all which make your fear rational? Anecdotal accounts, even? Any justification whatsoever for making such a blanket condemnation?
Don't forget that there are lots of countries were no one carries a gun and it would be quite possible to never see a gun during a lifetime. When I saw Simi's comment my first thought was "quite".

Do I have any first hand experience? yes. In 1988 whilst a soldier in the British Army I as part of a team were tasked to move 3 Landrovers from Seattle up to Calgary and oh since its winter time, do some skiing on the way. I was the ski instructor. We took a Saturday off and drove into Seattle for a bit of culture. What we encountered wasn't quite the culture we had in mind. Driving through Seattle one Landrover started misfiring. We pulled over into a disused petrol station, lifted the bonnet and started to replace the plugs and points.

Within minutes a police car and two officer screeched up drew guns and ordered us all lined up with hands above our heads. From the line the nearest officer chose me and started firing questions whilst pointing a revolver 6" from my nose. Slowly and with carefully chosen words I told who I was, what we were doing and our current problem. I think the English accent threw him, clearly he wasn't expecting to meet Brits on a wet Saturday afternoon in Seattle. I suggested he might want to see my Id card, which he agreed to with the words "slowly". Satisfied they finally withdrew and left us to get on fixing the landrover.

There is a real culture difference between the US and many other countries most noticeable with items like guns. There are virtually no legal reasons to own a hand gun in the UK by private individuals and the UK isn't alone here. So yes Americans with guns is frightening.

Pete
Old 05-08-2018, 13:05   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
Hi geozek
Thanks that’s good advice !
but my problem is being British I don’t know how I could own a gun legally when travelling everywhere. If any Brit knows please tell me .
In Europe, no chance but then as you know you won't need a gun. About the best you could do is a can of wasp spray and a CO2 fire extinguisher, make a change from using them to cool yellow handbags down when out on exercise.

Arte et Marte
Old 05-08-2018, 13:08   #100

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don't forget that there are lots of countries were no one carries a gun and it would be quite possible to never see a gun during a lifetime. When I saw Simi's comment my first thought was "quite".

Do I have any first hand experience? yes. In 1988 whilst a soldier in the British Army I as part of a team were tasked to move 3 Landrovers from Seattle up to Calgary and oh since its winter time, do some skiing on the way. I was the ski instructor. We took a Saturday off and drove into Seattle for a bit of culture. What we encountered wasn't quite the culture we had in mind. Driving through Seattle one Landrover started misfiring. We pulled over into a disused petrol station, lifted the bonnet and started to replace the plugs and points.

Within minutes a police car and two officer screeched up drew guns and ordered us all lined up with hands above our heads. From the line the nearest officer chose me and started firing questions whilst pointing a revolver 6" from my nose. Slowly and with carefully chosen words I told who I was, what we were doing and our current problem. I think the English accent threw him, clearly he wasn't expecting to meet Brits on a wet Saturday afternoon in Seattle. I suggested he might want to see my Id card, which he agreed to with the words "slowly". Satisfied they finally withdrew and left us to get on fixing the landrover.

There is a real culture difference between the US and many other countries most noticeable with items like guns. There are virtually no legal reasons to own a hand gun in the UK by private individuals and the UK isn't alone here. So yes Americans with guns is frightening.

Pete

Nice yarn. It pertains to sailing how, exactly?
Old 05-08-2018, 13:27   #101

Boat: CAL 31

Yeah - after playing with that site, I realized its just tankers...
Old 05-08-2018, 20:16   #102

Hi asistephen
Most of what I’ve seen is that they hit in the day time when they can see our sails miles and miles away. They either come in force or they will approach you and try to sell you fish, ask directions or buy gas. They are really checking you out. As far as guns on board they are not legal in any country when you check in. You are suppose to declare them and the officials will give you a receipt for it. Good luck getting your gun back. As far a buying a gun in Central America, well if you can buy women, drugs and even children you shouldn’t have to hard a time finding a gun for sale. I believe you can, as a foreigner legally buy a pistol grip 12 gague shotgun in Porta Barrios, Guatemala. Its great to be able to defend yourself and family but check with the locals on how to avoid trouble.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:20   #103

Boat: a sailing boat

Damn you guys.

I am not a duck. Please keep your guns in your barns.

If you bring out your guns, expect others to bring out theirs too. Just like it happened to the idiot in Amazonia.

I have a gun here too. Mine is called a heatgun. I am a sailor, not a criminal.

b.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:47   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I have read all sorts of horror stories about pirates.

Is this a regular concern you have when you sail?
This is a hard call as to how to protect yourself. Watching you tube videos with real confrontations happening, a rifle, not a shotgun would be nice to have if your educated enough to evaluate the situation.
Recently in St Vincent an American with his pistol shot n killed 3 on board thieves . He intern was arrested n let go because he didn’t declare the pistol.
In the Caribbean it seems at anchor is the most common place for bad guys.( check on google bad places). I lived in St Lucia with no problem at the dock,but
Heard plenty of stories on that island n others close by with theft at anchor. So, take poor people hooked on cheap heroin n your a target, violent or not. Chicago
Is a perfect example n I know this was a big problem all over the Caribbean .
Sad, so choose your method of defense or sadly stay away.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:08   #105

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWERTHNER View Post
This is a hard call as to how to protect yourself. Watching you tube videos with real confrontations happening, a rifle, not a shotgun would be nice to have if your educated enough to evaluate the situation.
Recently in St Vincent an American with his pistol shot n killed 3 on board thieves . He intern was arrested n let go because he didn’t declare the pistol.
In the Caribbean it seems at anchor is the most common place for bad guys.( check on google bad places). I lived in St Lucia with no problem at the dock,but
Heard plenty of stories on that island n others close by with theft at anchor. So, take poor people hooked on cheap heroin n your a target, violent or not. Chicago
Is a perfect example n I know this was a big problem all over the Caribbean .
Sad, so choose your method of defense or sadly stay away.
He shot and killed three people that were trying to steal what?

Three people died and he's not in jail?

Do you have more information?

Personally I'd rather be locked inside safe and let stuff be stolen than kill someone. Killing someone, let alone three people is a fairly permanent cause of action. If your physically in danger then I understand but theft?
Closed Thread