Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 07:31   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Do you worry about Pirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
And the credit card captains flying the Jolly Roger coming into the anchorage?
Board 'em an keel haul 'em...arrr!
Old 28-07-2018, 07:39   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

I do. The coast of Honduras is not that easy to avoid. Boats heading for the Bay Islands often sail in a group. Sailing without lights in the area is common too.
Old 28-07-2018, 08:44   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ih hear detroit and chicago are pretty dangerous to visit these days
"...I was born in Chicago in nineteen and forty-one,
My father said, "Son, you had better get a gun."
---Paul Butterfield

I carry one always, two sometimes, three knives, and next month, I'm gettin' a blackjack.

PJN
Old 28-07-2018, 09:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I do. The coast of Honduras is not that easy to avoid. Boats heading for the Bay Islands often sail in a group. Sailing without lights in the area is common too.
Yes, the Nicaraguan Banks in recent years have had a few events that qualify as organized piracy (mother ship, armed men in multiple pangas, etc ...) IMHO.

The N coast of Honduras (esp near Punta Sal) has had serious troubles too for many years, but nothing like those more organized events. However, there have been several boardings of vessels underway off the coast there.

I think the typical small group of dirt bags in a single panga could be discouraged by a simple show of force, but with a larger, better organized, armed group that could go badly.

A strategy that worked for one boat when apparently being pursued off the Nica Banks was to go close hauled. It was in sporty trade winds conditions and the panga could not maintain planing speed...so gave up. Good call I think.

No one has been harmed in the more organized events on the Nica Banks, but a cruiser was killed near Punta Sal by apparently the more typical dirt bags in a boat. To me the event in which the cruiser was killed read like an attempted robbery bungled by amatuers...reads like the shooting was an accidental discharge...and they fled the scene and took nothing...more hardened types would have likely finished the job.

My perspective is that you are less likely to be harmed by seasoned pros than some nervous punk with a gun. Ive never had a security issue on a boat, but was held up once ashore. The two thieves were more nervous than me...my main concern was not getting robbed, but getting shot for no reason/accidentally by one of these bonehead amatuers.

I have had several friends cross the Nica Banks this year without incident. There have only been 3 attempted/suspicious events reported on the banks this year, but no actual boardings. See CSSN for details.
Old 28-07-2018, 09:14   #35

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Americans with guns, far more frightening than imaginary pirates.
And how many innocents around the world have "Americans with guns" murdered, compared to real piracy off the Somali or Venezuelan coasts?
Old 28-07-2018, 09:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
And how many innocents around the world have "Americans with guns" murdered, compared to real piracy off the Somali or Venezuelan coasts?
10's of thousands in Central America alone. 100's of thousands if including those disappeared, tortured, murdered, displaced by national forces trained by the USA (estimated 200K in Guatemala alone).
Old 28-07-2018, 11:00   #37

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
The only pirates I've met lately are the grocery stores in Raiatea.
Heading there is September. Good to know.
Old 28-07-2018, 11:24   #38

Boat: CAL 31

Yes - it is a concern from what I can tell. You may find this link helpful.

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map
Old 29-07-2018, 22:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattm View Post
There was an instance a few years ago where in the middle of the night Somali pirates tried to high jack a us destroyer... Hilarious. The destroyer was also Americans with guns, albeit big guns.
You don't hear about the Somali threat quite as much anymore. I was just pointing out that Americans with guns do have a place. Also as a non American it irks me that people are constantly and continuously taking pot shots at the US. We're talking about piracy so why did the guy before have to derail the thread by taking a jab. Like common people the virtue signalling is not impressive or particularly intelligent.
As a Canadian handguns are not part of our culture. And long guns are used for hunting, not personal security. But that does not give me the right to take blanket pot shots (pun intended) at those with differing opinions. It's more I'll respect your views, you respect mine and let's have a cool drink together. No cheap shots required.
Old 29-07-2018, 23:36   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluzer07 View Post
Yes - it is a concern from what I can tell. You may find this link helpful.

https://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-repor...ive-piracy-map

See if you can find a single incident there involving cruising yachts.
Old 30-07-2018, 14:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
As a Canadian handguns are not part of our culture. And long guns are used for hunting, not personal security. But that does not give me the right to take blanket pot shots (pun intended) at those with differing opinions. It's more I'll respect your views, you respect mine and let's have a cool drink together. No cheap shots required.
You would be surprised, target shooting is becoming huge. My summers are for sailing, but shooting is my winter hobby. Myself and most shooters I know don't advertise that we shoot for fear of being ostracized especially here in the gta. Personally though if something is so scary that I feel I have to arm myself then I think I would just not do it. That includes sailing. Bringing firearms on a boat is silly. Plus useless because salt and firearms don't mix well at all.
Old 30-07-2018, 14:52   #42

This is the second thread today I've been following that's unexpectedly turned into a gun thread.
Old 30-07-2018, 15:04   #43

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
This is the second thread today I've been following that's unexpectedly turned into a gun thread.
Be ambitious! Turn it into a blackjack thread, a knife thread, or whatever you wish.
Old 30-07-2018, 15:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Be ambitious! Turn it into a blackjack thread, a knife thread, or whatever you wish.
Anchors, anyone?
Old 30-07-2018, 15:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Sorry! Back to topic, does anyone sail without running lights in questionable waters
Closed Thread