Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How much of the thread do you read before posting?
Dude, TLDR. If I have a thought, I post. 1 4.00%
Read a couple of posts maybe, then unload 6 24.00%
I studiously read everything before I post 12 48.00%
This is the dumbest poll I've seen on this forum 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24   #46

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Do you read the whole thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A poll, what poll???? There is a poll with this thread! Must have missed that part.

FYI. The title is specific to whether you READ the whole thread, not whether you ANSWER the thread. Subtle, yet important difference that.

As to polls, generally I treat them like elections, vote early and often.

And to answer them truthfully, it typically requires a write in answer as often none of the above would be the most likely answer.

So wishing that none of the above was a choice in most political elections as that choice would win by a landslide.

Given the way long threads read, I'm a little surprised that the first and fourth answers weren't the most popular.

Then again, entirely because there is a tendency for people to answer polls about behavior the way they'd like to behave, rather based on what they actually do, I deliberately made the poll imperfect and incomplete, so that people would explain their positions.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:28   #47

I like to use the copper ones. Or the 80# type.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:41   #48

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Usually post fairly early on and find I often post agreeing with Boatman. But mostly don't post.... but today????. Wow that was deep.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:43   #49

Boat: Balboa 27
Thumbs up Re: Do you read the whole thread?

I just read every post!
Even though I never read every post I just read every post!
Whenever I always read every post it is because I started the thread.
I am the first to say that, I know cause I read them all.
That's just because it's wrong to start something if you lack the commitment to finish it.
I'll finish off by saying I may not read all the rest of the posts in this thread so if someone wants me to read their response to my post or perhaps correct me if I am wrong again, Best be Quick about it.
How many ways can you talk about packing sand anyhow, Jeez!
My second best alternate reason to read all the posts is,
If it's funny!
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:33   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

On Ritalin, yes..... off Ritalin, no.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:42   #51

Boat: Schooner scow

No..quite honestly, no. However I do comment on the original poster’s question if I feel I can contribute. I choose not to see if others have posted responses that would make mine redundant. It’s really in my opinion a simple act of conversation between me and the poster to be disregarded as they choose. If my post enlightens the broader thread then so be it.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:27   #52

Boat: Jeanneau 490
Send a message via Yahoo to rilie1

So, I generally read the entire thread if it's a subject I'm interested in, almost always intending to respond. Then, about halfway through change my mind and never post. Usually, 5 to 10 people have already posted what I was thinking OR the conversation has gone completely off the rails and I have no interested in jumping into that bag of pissed off alley cats.
rilie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:33   #53

[QUOTE=DMF Sailing;3352991]Don't get me wrong.

Looking at it from the responder’s perspective, I can only say that most would have a “knee jerk” response with the intent of attempting to answer a question with an opinion. I believe that most readers would, frankly, not have the time to read every post before submitting a response. (There are sometimes as many as twenty or thirty.)
Ultimately, I think most everyone wants to express their “two cents worth.”
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23   #54

Boat: Hunter 26

rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:27   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'd say it really depends on the nature of the original post. If it is a direct, simple question then responding directly to the OP makes sense. But more often than not, cruising questions don't lead to one simple answer, and are often just the starting point for a discussion. This is why this is a Discussion forum.

Normal human discussions start at point A, but often will meander all over the place. In the real world, someone jumping into a discussion by bringing up a point that had already been discussed a while ago, would likely be considered socially inappropriate, or even rude.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:04   #56

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
No..quite honestly, no. However I do comment on the original poster’s question if I feel I can contribute. I choose not to see if others have posted responses that would make mine redundant. It’s really in my opinion a simple act of conversation between me and the poster to be disregarded as they choose. If my post enlightens the broader thread then so be it.
You know, I don't actually mind when people do this, because even when they are all making basically the same argument, you do get each person's nuances and experiences. And, if enough experienced people are saying the same thing, you start getting what some of us come on here for: Knowledge.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 05-03-2021, 12:05   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranger View Post
I was going to give Abe the Post of The Thread award, but Rgranger's statement in post #54 takes the cake.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'd say it really depends on the nature of the original post. If it is a direct, simple question then responding directly to the OP makes sense. But more often than not, cruising questions don't lead to one simple answer, and are often just the starting point for a discussion. This is why this is a Discussion forum.

Normal human discussions start at point A, but often will meander all over the place. In the real world, someone jumping into a discussion by bringing up a point that had already been discussed a while ago, would likely be considered socially inappropriate, or even rude.
You're one of the minority of people here who engages in discussion and keeps it going, Mike. It's often very interesting, when the subject is something I care about and the debate is sane. I do admire you trying to be the voice of reason in certain debates that ... [mumbles something under breath so as not to violate forum rules]
Old 05-03-2021, 12:13   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Jumped to the last post. What was this thread about?
Old 05-03-2021, 12:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Jumped to the last post. What was this thread about?
chuckle

too bad you missed the poll; would've saved even more time