Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 22:44   #1

Do you give guests an "Intro Class" to your boat?

What I mean is...

Do you go over all safety points they should know (where life vests are, etc.), what you'd do in case of an emergency situation, etc.?

Also... do you inform your guests what to do should YOU go overboard? Such as in a situation where your guests don't know how to sail or operate the vessel. Do you give them a quick crash course on what to do in case you go overboard or are incapacitated? Do you teach them how to use the radio in case of an emergency?

I'm just curious what sort of protocol people use when they have guests come aboard.

Thanks!
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 23:26   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Do you give guests an "Intro Class" to your boat?

a little depending on, but yes. When somebody arrives I show location of fire extinguishing material, bilge pumps, flares, life jackets and so on. Once underway, it depends on the guests. If they are not used to boats, I go through start of engine and basic manoeuvring. If they know what they are doing, there is no need.

BUT-THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM TO SHOW IS HOW TO USE THE TOILETS.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 23:52   #3

Boat: currently boatless

Absolutely, I give everyone a safety breifing identiying where the lifejack and fire extinguishers are and what to do if someone goes overboard. I also ensure at least one other person can start the motors and a quick guide how the radio works on the emergency chanel.
Here in Queensland Australia it is not unheard of for the powers at be to board your boat and ask a crew member where these items are. Fines apply if they dont know. Regardless I do this purely as a safety precaution.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 23:52   #4

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
a little depending on, but yes. When somebody arrives I show location of fire extinguishing material, bilge pumps, flares, life jackets and so on. Once underway, it depends on the guests. If they are not used to boats, I go through start of engine and basic manoeuvring. If they know what they are doing, there is no need.

The second rule is that if they block the toilet - they un-block it!
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 00:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I always do a safety talk when new people come on the boat...... life jackets, fire extinguishers, protocol in case of emergency beer location, head operation.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52   #6

I simply say if you fall overboard we’ll throw you the anchor...
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:54   #7

Boat: Currently in between

All the above and I include the "No garbage over the side" talk..
Old 05-08-2018, 08:57   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post

I had some guests once who thought you must rotate the pump handle to empty the bowl. They rotated till the nut on the other end came off...THEN they asked me how it works...when they finally pulled the handle to pump, it just came right out in their hands.

I used to try to give a little safety talk when having guests aboard, but gave up on that. Being on a sailboat is too overwhelming for most people, and my words were wasted, only adding to their confusion. So I would do a short checklist with them: Sunblock applied? Pockets empty? Bladder (and colon) empty?, shoes and bag below? Then I'd ask them to do as they are told without question, and discussion can come later if wanted. Some people cannot accept being told what to do in even the most minor way. Unfortunately, these people could not be invited back.

The worst guests/crew were those who have taken a sailing course or sailing camp. I once took a couple and their teenage son. He had been to "sailing camp" for 3 summers in a row, with glowing reviews. He could not so much as make down a line to a cleat, tie a single knot, trim a sail, or steer. I wonder what they did at sailing camp?

Guests often felt useless or stupid, with so much going on and not knowing how to help. I would keep a line from the bow, led aft to the cockpit. I would put a guest in charge of this line, in his hands, ready to pull at a moments notice. If I noticed the guest getting antsy, I would ask him to pull, then keep tension on the line. This kept the guest out of harms way (and my way) while I did what needed to be done, quietly, calmly, and safely.

I found that bad stuff only usually happened with guests aboard. Guests are such a distraction. When sailing alone, or just my kids, I could give the necessary and timely attention to sailing and navigation. Guests too often are more concerned with the status of their drink, seating comfort (as healing begins) or their electronics to notice we are entering shallow water, dousing sails, approaching a dock, or about to drop the hook. Their is some odd idea that if the engine is on, there is nothing to do....like riding in a car. And if you are reading this and thinking I'm a bit of an ass, well, you are probably right.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58   #9

Boat: Hunter 30

I also explain heeling. Cuts down on the screaming.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
What I mean is...

Do you go over all safety points they should know (where life vests are, etc.), what you'd do in case of an emergency situation, etc.?

Also... do you inform your guests what to do should YOU go overboard? Such as in a situation where your guests don't know how to sail or operate the vessel. Do you give them a quick crash course on what to do in case you go overboard or are incapacitated? Do you teach them how to use the radio in case of an emergency?

I'm just curious what sort of protocol people use when they have guests come aboard.

Thanks!
yes and more important I tell them to sit down and be quiet if I say to
Old 05-08-2018, 09:13   #11

Boat: Montevideo 43

[QUOTE=boatingnewbie;2689496]What I mean is...

Thanks![/QUOTE
]absolutely yes and yes again .
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

Besides the "little talk" we give to everyone when they first come onboard (unless they're friends with lots of experience on our boat), I also have a little half-sheet print-out I give them. They may retain about 10% of my briefing, but they've got the sheet to look at /refresh their memory whenever they want to. We also mention some of the sailing terms they may hear, how to work the toilets, keeping their stuff stowed, heeling, setting/trimming the sails, and emphasize the dumbest question is the one that doesn't get asked!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Asolutly VITAL! The statistics are not in favour of MOB as only 40% are retrieved!
So briefing is a must on security protocols but also on ship operating systems. toilets operation for one as someone said earlier, auto pilot sensitivity (never use the wheel to secure yourself under auto pilot), location of fire extinguishers and windlass braker etc
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:08   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Job One is not to have guests. Job Two is not to have stupid/lubberly guests. After that, a brief chat is usually sufficient, with a focus on how the head works, why nothing that didn't come from your backside (or from your face if you puke) goes down it, and how "one hand for the boat and don't put down your drink unless it's by a scupper does the trick.

If I must have non-sailors aboard, I pick a day of extreme foofiness, i.e. 10 knots and five degree heeling, if that. But you can guess what I favour.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:16   #15

Boat: Hunter 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I had some guests once who thought you must rotate the pump handle to empty the bowl. They rotated till the nut on the other end came off...THEN they asked me how it works...when they finally pulled the handle to pump, it just came right out in their hands.

I used to try to give a little safety talk when having guests aboard, but gave up on that. Being on a sailboat is too overwhelming for most people, and my words were wasted, only adding to their confusion. So I would do a short checklist with them: Sunblock applied? Pockets empty? Bladder (and colon) empty?, shoes and bag below? Then I'd ask them to do as they are told without question, and discussion can come later if wanted. Some people cannot accept being told what to do in even the most minor way. Unfortunately, these people could not be invited back.

The worst guests/crew were those who have taken a sailing course or sailing camp. I once took a couple and their teenage son. He had been to "sailing camp" for 3 summers in a row, with glowing reviews. He could not so much as make down a line to a cleat, tie a single knot, trim a sail, or steer. I wonder what they did at sailing camp?

Guests often felt useless or stupid, with so much going on and not knowing how to help. I would keep a line from the bow, led aft to the cockpit. I would put a guest in charge of this line, in his hands, ready to pull at a moments notice. If I noticed the guest getting antsy, I would ask him to pull, then keep tension on the line. This kept the guest out of harms way (and my way) while I did what needed to be done, quietly, calmly, and safely.

I found that bad stuff only usually happened with guests aboard. Guests are such a distraction. When sailing alone, or just my kids, I could give the necessary and timely attention to sailing and navigation. Guests too often are more concerned with the status of their drink, seating comfort (as healing begins) or their electronics to notice we are entering shallow water, dousing sails, approaching a dock, or about to drop the hook. Their is some odd idea that if the engine is on, there is nothing to do....like riding in a car. And if you are reading this and thinking I'm a bit of an ass, well, you are probably right.

I bet Captain hamburking does not have a lot of friends.
Patronizing guests would be unacceptably rude behavior in my mind, probably because of my upbringing in the Eastern culture.

The person who diligently kept the tension on Captain hamburking's useless line is eventually going to find out that the captain was an "ass" and sailing is not going to be as much fun as it could have been for that person.
Operating the toilet, the radio, finding the life jackets, the beer cooler etc could be done with simple written instructions next to them.
You could let the guests know that operating instructions are placarded next to every item and they could ask questions as needed. You could also revise the potentially confusing written instructions based on the questions asked.
A gentler friendlier alternative to Captain Blight's methods which did not work out for him !
Cheers.

Ahmet
Ahmet Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat