Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 18:52   #31

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Re: Do you accept common practices without deeper investigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
wsmac,

You've shown a number of instances wherein, for a lack of specific knowledge, you have made erroneous assumptions.

The one that could get you a nasty burn is the assumption that all fuels are the same because they cook. In terms of usage on a boat in a seaway, the alcohol stoves that require priming are dangerous because you can hardly see the flame from spilled alcohol, and it may be running over the cabin sole toward your bare foot. Also, alcohol cooks more slowly than propane or diesel. All fuels have their issues. They are not the same just because they all will cook food.

Perhaps you would benefit from changing your learning paradigm. The transition from dirt dwelling to water will teach you lots. Just loosen up about it. We all make mistakes from which we learn. Even on the water in pursuit of a desired lifestyle. We're just all fallible! We can't control everything, no real point in trying. Edge a little into the feeling your way along realm, not overthinking.

Me, I try to emulate Boatman 61's succinctness, but I fail miserably, year after year! True. Doing it again here.

Peace, bro,

Ann
I'll have to go back and read what I wrote about stoves and fuels again but I do not recall saying they are all the same. I am very aware of how various fuels commonly used on a boat differ.
What I was trying to convey was the idea that with proper education on the fuels and stoves particular for those fuels... a person could make any of them work correctly. Sorta trying to differentiate between someone just making a blanket statement on how one fuel/stove combo was NEVER the right one for anybody.
Someone might read that fuel, alcohol, and the stove burning it are more dangerous and difficult than a bottled gas stove. Without investigating this issue more, that person might make an erroneous assumption that it was not worth their time or effort seeing an alcohol stove as an option.
That's all I was trying to say.
I make mistakes... well aware of it... but my mind is geared towards 'over-thinking' things because that's how I learn and retain information best, as well as developing a healthy understanding of things.
Even in regards to Math! I struggled with Algebra from high school into university because I couldn't just rote learn formulas. I actually needed to break them down and understand why each piece helped the formula function as it did!
Talk about OVER-THINKING! hahahaha
I finally found a professor who understood my dilemma ("You are just like my brother.. I can help you!") and I finally, successfully made my way happily through Algebra. BTW... I do love math!
So.... you may find me posting questions that seem to you to be over-thinking, unnecessarily detailed, and DEFINITELY verbose!
It's all in an effort to learn things my way... but I'm open to rephrasing my questions if anyone asks me to... respectfully!
Thanks for taking the time to cover this issue though!
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 20:43   #32

My first thought was you asked for it in writing and they never bothered to get it certified for fiberglass. The result was likely that left them nervous and if you are only buying a single unit, it's not worth taking it further to get the sale. (if you were a company buying dozens per year, they might take a different approach)

It may work on fiberglass if you know what you are doing and how to interpret the results but they don't have the evidence in hand to state that.

Always look at who is answering the question an what their considerations are.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 22:17   #33

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
My first thought was you asked for it in writing and they never bothered to get it certified for fiberglass. The result was likely that left them nervous and if you are only buying a single unit, it's not worth taking it further to get the sale. (if you were a company buying dozens per year, they might take a different approach)

It may work on fiberglass if you know what you are doing and how to interpret the results but they don't have the evidence in hand to state that.

Always look at who is answering the question an what their considerations are.
Good point
I have run into this with other companies over other non-sailing issues... the old CYA method of dealing with things
I mentioned earlier how I wasn't even sure what Team Leader - Technical Support is
Doesn't mean this person is an engineer.
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 04:03   #34

Boat: Cornado 25

Common practices become common for a reason. Generally they work, and have for long enough to become "common practice".

Of course with my twisted mind, sooner or later I gotta try to make em better(?). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works for me and not others. Sometimes it works for others and not for me. And so forth.

As a new sailor I would suggest not overthinking things too much. The man-years that one can spend studying and posting and reading and deciding could be better spent out sailing with "common practice" equipment and tactics.

Not to say common practice is always right, but usually a safe starting point. For further discussion, see any thread on ground tackle and anchoring tactics...

Old 23-02-2017, 04:18   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do you accept common practices without deeper investigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Me, I try to emulate Boatman 61's succinctness, but I fail miserably, year after year! True. Doing it again here.

Peace, bro,
Ann
You mean things like.. "Stop trying to run when you barely know how to crawl"..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 04:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It has been known for a lady to sit next to me at a bar and strike up a conversation.. then after a while buy me a drink..

I don't ask questions.. I just know she needs glasses..

Which bar is that?
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 04:42   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do you accept common practices without deeper investigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Which bar is that?
'The Escondidinho'.. it means a Hideaway in Portuguese but Google Translate comes up with Shepherds Pie..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:27   #38

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I'll make a recommendation for the Electrophysics CT100 moisture meter. It comes with very comprehensive instructions. Electrophysics Pinless Moisture Meters
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 07:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
'The Escondidinho'.. it means a Hideaway in Portuguese but Google Translate comes up with Shepherds Pie..

Shepherd's pie AND friendly women??? No wonder so many people move to Portugal.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote