Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 10:19   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Do We Really Need Political Ads on a Sailing Forum?

We go sailing to get away from the sort of insults, innuendo and flat out lying I'm seeing on the banner ads. I don't mind some guy trying to sell me a charter or huge boat I can't afford. That fits with a sailing forum. Even the other random junk. But the politics is both jarring and insulting. I'd go over to SA if that is what I wanted... but I don't. I'm loyal.

Yes, I know about ad blockers. I run them most of the time. But does it have to come to that? We're not allowed to post political opinions, but they are allowed to run as ads. I don't get it. And from what I'm seeing, the ads are not symmetrical. So lose them.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:36   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Do We Really Need Political Ads on a Sailing Forum?

Agreed. I run here to get away from that nonsense!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I haven’t seen one, but feel sure that the ads are not “picked” by anyone on CF, least I have never heard that they are.

We have had complaints about the content of ads before and it seems that people are “targeted” by Google or some other type of software for the ads they see, just like go shopping for a washing machine on line and pretty soon you will see washing machine ads, other than knowing it happens I’m not smart enough to know the specifics.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I haven’t seen one, but feel sure that the ads are not “picked” by anyone on CF, least I have never heard that they are.

We have had complaints about the content of ads before and it seems that people are “targeted” by Google or some other those of software for the ads they see, just like go shopping for a washing machine on line and pretty soon you will see washing machine ads, other than knowing it happens I’m not smart enough to know the specifics.
However I do run an ad blocker and as a supporter you can turn off banner ads I believe, let me look to see, I’m not very computer smart but remember long ago deciding I didn’t want to see them and turned them off.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the user control panel under edit options down at the bottom of the page is an option to turn off banner ads, that may help, but I think it’s only vendor ads?
Supporting members only I think.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:51   #6

Social Knowledge Network doesn't pick the content. In fact, the content presented is, in part, dictated by the other cookies in your browser session. If I'm shopping for gun accessories, then I get adds for gun safes and related accessories, even though THAT topic is prohibited on any of the Social Knowledge Network websites as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

We have had complaints about the content of ads before and it seems that people are “targeted” by Google or some other those of software for the ads they see, just like go shopping for a washing machine on line and pretty soon you will see washing machine ads, other than knowing it happens I’m not smart enough to know the specifics.
You most definitely have the ability to tell Google or your other ad services to exclude certain segments of ads from your site. This includes excluding political ads and gun ads, for example. It also includes the ability to exclude adult content ads, which we don't see here, so obviously the ability exists and is in use on this site.

That might cut some revenue from CF, but it is rather hypocritical to be hypersensitive to any political posts on the site but then knowingly make money off serving political ads when they could easily stop them by simply checking a box. Or if they don't have the sophistication to do that, calling up their rep at the ad serving company and asking them to do it for them.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I reported the thread hopefully to higher up, I know that Mods don’t have any control on ads, and it confuses me, cause I have never seen one.
Old 27-05-2020, 11:07   #9

Boat: Baba 35

I'm glad I am not the kind of person that is targeted by political adds.

Never seen one.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 11:44   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

But how do we decide where politics starts?

It is not OUR forum, it has owners, they dictate the agenda. They dictate what is and what is not politics.

If we want a politics free forum, we need to start one. And pay for it too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 12:02   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But how do we decide where politics starts?

It is not OUR forum, it has owners, they dictate the agenda. They dictate what is and what is not politics.

If we want a politics free forum, we need to start one. And pay for it too.

b.
As noted by shrew and others - ads are displayed based on each readers location, viewing habits and other metrics that the site doesn't have control over. Most of these ads are served up by google or other ad networks and we each see unique content. The only exception are the forum sponsor ads.
Forum supporters see fewer ads but there are still some visible and for regular members, be sure to login - you will see fewer ads.

The site cannot survive without ad revenue and we deeply appreciate the support and our forum sponsors.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 12:42   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As long as the ads are random and not selected by CF, then I'm fine with it. I have them turned off on my PC, but they seem to sneak through on my phone now and then. I need to take another look at the blocker.

Sorry to have bothered you. Recently I have been seeing particularly hateful ones, and I'm glad it's just me. I can ignore them. Delete this thread if you like.

And now on to something sailing -related!
Old 27-05-2020, 12:59   #13

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

A very long time ago I gave up trying to judge websites by the company they keep. I realize now that the owners of websites have no control over the ads that appear on their websites.

If I actually tried to avoid any website that published an ad for a quack cure, or shady scheme, pretty soon there would be NONE to visit. Including my own blog...

If you are seeing political ads here on CF, it is because the service that provides the ads (google?) thinks that is what you want to see. Sorry to be real, but if you want stuff for free on the internet, you have to pay by seeing ads. If that offends your eyeballs, either unplug, or pay for the ad free subscription, or suck it up and take your ads like a man.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 13:06   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
I'm glad I am not the kind of person that is targeted by political adds.
Never seen one.
Same for me. But the reality life is full of adverts.

I notice that half the posters complaining above haven't spent the minuscule $15 and signed up as members. The more revenue from subscribers the less reliance for adverts.
Old 27-05-2020, 14:46   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva Espańa
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Same for me. But the reality life is full of adverts.

I notice that half the posters complaining above haven't spent the minuscule $15 and signed up as members. The more revenue from subscribers the less reliance for adverts.
Just because someone does not have a SupportingMember banner does not mean they aren't supporting members. It is an option in your UserCP whether to display or not.

I support but don't display. Personal thing, do good by stealth.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, rum, sail, sailing