Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2012, 06:46   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: do ozone generators do the job?

As far as roachs are concerned, if any are left, save your bacon grease in a no2 can and set it aginst a gally bulkhead, leave it for a day or two and dump the dead roachs out and refill works like crazy and ya can rid your self in a week or two!! like a oldtime roach Motel!! LOL
Old 16-07-2012, 07:16   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

The large powerful "commercial" sized units will indeed clean out the boats interior mustiness effectively, BUT will also degrade any interior rubber! These powerful units must never be on, when the boat is occupied! They are toxic...

The small units that are OK to have on while the boat is occupied, have less risk of rotting rubber, less toxicity, and are mostly ineffective.

Neither, is a solution, IMO...

M.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:24   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

So, you've used both, and the small ones didn't work but the big ones did. Can you define small and big?
How big was the one that finally did the job for you?
Old 16-07-2012, 07:50   #19

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
So, you've used both, and the small ones didn't work but the big ones did. Can you define small and big?
How big was the one that finally did the job for you?
My comment was based on scientific studies. Anyone's personal experience, alone, is pretty limited. I'm not sure where? Practical Sailor may be where I read the paper. They compared them all... look it up.

I have used little cigarette lighter units in each cabin, until the buzz drove me to remove them. They fell WELL within the range of safe, but useless.

If you have a simple, small boat with no rubber, then a large unit with "no habitation" warnings all over it, would be OK while off of the boat, and effective. The smaller ones, as I said, are useless... all hype!

I suggest lots of ventilation, and wiping down surfaces regularly with a MILD chlorox solution. If off of the boat, in winter, in a cold climate, we put out 30 descant cups, (in nooks and crannys), and 3 small dehumidifyers, with numerous fans going as well. We also have EVERYTHING open down below, for more air movement.

This effectively "pickles" the interior, until the spring cruising season. When we still lived on the boat, however, that SUPER dry air below, created such dry skin issues, that after 12 years as liveaboards, we rented a place on shore.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070_70_00.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	43493   Click image for larger version

Name:	140_140.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	43494  

Old 16-07-2012, 08:27   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Thanks for your opinion. I am actually asking about people's first hand experience with ozone generators rather than with clorox, humidifiers, etc. I don't live in a cold climate so that's immaterial.

I would like to ask, though, if you read the reports stating that the ones safe for use in an occupied room are useless, why did buy them?
Old 16-07-2012, 08:32   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

canibul-
Once you clean it out, you might try a bottle of Febreze from the supermarket. It isn't ozone but it also bonds with "odor" molecules and removes them. Then you might try to find a steam genny or pressure washer and really scrub down the hard to reach places.

The ozone will penetrate everything so it gets rid of things you can't quite reach, but " if one does not remove the source of the smells/odors, they will return quickly". Ozone is great for fabrics and porous surfaces you can't wash, but a thorough scrubbing works for sealed surfaces.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote