Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2022, 14:16   #76

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v
Re: Dinghy dilemma

Way back in '79 we outfitted our cutter-rigged Endeavour 32 for a 1 year cruise with our 11, 14, and 16 year old kids (the latter only for Summer), from the FL Panhandle to Newport, RI and back. We had an Avon Redcrest (?9'3") inflatable we stowed folded out of the way FWD of the mast. Oar power only.

For additional POM we had the optional CO-2 bottle inflator kit fitted for a fairly instant life raft, which added a bit of bulk and weight. On the ICW and in the Bahamas we towed it with bow lifted, and seemingly very little drag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	266428  
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 14:44   #77

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Goodings View Post
Get a 10 foot long rigid bottom inflatable dinghy with at least 9.8 hp outboard motor.
Rigid dinghies do not have the cruising load carrying capability that a rigid bottom inflatable has... e.g. two passengers, fuel tank, outboard motor, groceries, laundry bags, water and fuel jerry jugs are quite safe in a 10 foot rigid inflatable dinghy.
The Highfield aluminum bottom dinghies are now the standard charter yacht dinghy in Caribbean.
We stow ours inverted on the foredeck of our 35 foot monohull for long passages. We to the dinghy behind our yacht on shorter trips less than three days long. The dinghy tows nicely on twin 50 foot lines for redundancy. We completely empty the dinghy when towing. Remove all gear and the outboard motor when towing.
We've safely towed our dinghy this way in Caribbean for 8 years.
A rigid inflatable dinghy is much easier to record when you're snorkeling.

Welcome to the forum...The OP has a 27ft. sailboat. Thing might be a little cramped with the rigid bottom.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 14:58   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum...The OP has a 27ft. sailboat. Thing might be a little cramped with the rigid bottom.
Not to mention that it's cutter rigged. Meaning there's even less room on the foredeck!
Old 28-10-2022, 15:01   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Not to mention that it's cutter rigged. Meaning there's even less room on the foredeck!
Hence my suggestion to go with a Porta-Bote tied along the stantions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-10-2022, 23:07   #80

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
I am preparing a pacific sea craft Orion 27 sailboat for a Caribbean island cruising lifestyle. I prefer living on the hook and running around to snorkel and visit islands. I can’t figure out which dinghy would be best for my needs insights are greatly appreciate it.

I will not have davits so assuming I get an inflatable it would need to be collapsed when cruising in.

You might want to look at the Spindrift nesting dinghy.

YT channel 'Sailing Florence' did the same analysis as you and their answer was the Spindrift 9 which they keep on the foredeck and swear by.

There is a video on the B7B site that links to their channel. They also sail theirs. it rows beautifully and planes easily with a 5HP and 2 pax.

Deflating an inflatable every other day as you roam about will get old VERY quickly, they are VERY bulky things to stow in a smal boat.

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 07:05   #81

Boat: Pearson 386

Yes PineyWoodsPete, the mid 70s Avon Red Crests were pretty much the std of excellence for calapsable tenders. That's what my boss had as his tender when I working as solo crew and maintanence for $100/wk on his Morgan 41 OI for Summer cruise of 73 when my H.S. friends were mostly mowing lawns. That and a Seagull.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 07:41   #82

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
I am preparing a pacific sea craft Orion 27 sailboat for a Caribbean island cruising lifestyle. I prefer living on the hook and running around to snorkel and visit islands. I can’t figure out which dinghy would be best for my needs insights are greatly appreciate it.

I will not have davits so assuming I get an inflatable it would need to be collapsed when cruising in.

Look at Amazon --Intex Inflatable Dingy --motor bracket and electric pusher
Around $60 --call it a disposable dingy but It serves the shore line purposes.
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 19:14   #83

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
Yes PineyWoodsPete, the mid 70s Avon Red Crests were pretty much the std of excellence for calapsable tenders. That's what my boss had as his tender when I working as solo crew and maintanence for $100/wk on his Morgan 41 OI for Summer cruise of 73 when my H.S. friends were mostly mowing lawns. That and a Seagull.

Ahhh...the Seagull.... "ol' smokey"....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 20:42   #84

Boat: Pearson 386

I think you will regret trying to do it on the cheap. Buy a reputable brand Hypalon 8.5-9.5 ft inflatable that weighs <70 lbs. they all come new with a storage valise. You will be able to tow it on nicer days, or hoist it aboard, deflate it, and stow it when making a passage. If you are up to it as a pretty good rower you could consider doing without a motor or delay that decision for later. Most folding boats and blow up style pool toys are not meant to serve as tenders. Unless you can magically be in super protected anchorages which are few and far between you will be sorry you didn't buy something specifically made to do what your asking.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 05:22   #85

Light, easy to store, easy to repair, minimum maintenance, fun way to keep fit:
A collapsible rigid rowing sailing dinghy for a 27 foot cruiser.
The banana boat could be ideal
https://www.banana-boot.de/en/
jon villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 05:23   #86

Agree on the folding boats. If going that cheap then I'd prefer a kayak tied up along the lifelines. Not as good as a dinghy, but better than those fold-boats which I wasn't too impressed by.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 05:24   #87

Here's an interesting article for ideas:
https://www.pbo.co.uk/practical-proj...nder-350-64817
Old 30-10-2022, 05:27   #88

Kayaks are great too. Dinghies are perhaps dryer and friendlier to carry goods onboard, like water, groceries, visitors...
Old 30-10-2022, 11:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
Most folding boats and blow up style pool toys are not meant to serve as tenders. Unless you can magically be in super protected anchorages which are few and far between you will be sorry you didn't buy something specifically made to do what your asking.

I certainly hope you are not referring to the Porta-Bote. You would be sorely misinformed if that was the case
Old 30-10-2022, 12:18   #90

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

There used to be a company that advertised a system to tow a inflatable by the stern with the outboard still attached to the transom, it was compromised of 2 fibreglass wands with a block on the end, sticking out just enough that when the Dinghy was hoisted it nestled up close to the transom, when under way the Dinghy was drug with only the bow in the water, having little impact on the speed, it was very well engineere and other than making a ocean passage it would work fine, the beauty of the design was leaving the outboard attached, thereby eliminating the removal of said outbo, if not available any longer, it would not be that difficult to copy.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote