Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 10:52   #1

Diana Jesse passed away...

From 'lectronic lattitude:
December 21, 2011 – Alameda
We were saddened to learn that circumnavigator and author Diana Jessie passed away on December 15 of congestive heart failure, following a series of strokes. Diana began sailing in '74 and skippered an all-women sailing team on San Francisco Bay, sailing in the Big Boat Series, TransPac, and many other offshore races. From '85 to '92, she and husband Jim circumnavigated aboard their 48-ft, cold-molded Lapworth sloop Nalu IV, then went on to circumnavigate the North Pacific in the late '90s. All told, the Jessies sailed more than 120,000 miles aboard Nalu IV. For the last several years, Jim and Diana have lived aboard their Grand Banks Alaskan 53 Nalu in Alameda.
Diana was known for her passion in opening up the world of sailing to others, especially women. "Diana opened the door for me," says Behan Gifford, who is currently cruising with her husband and three kids aboard their Stevens 47 Totem. "She demystified what felt like an unattainable dream. She was passionate about sharing a woman's perspective and experience of cruising, to put open-eyed women in the drivers seat of what had long been a male-dominated realm."

Gifford isn't alone in that sentiment. Diana's books — especially The Cruising Woman's Advisor — plus her articles and seminars helped motivate and inspire many female sailors over the years. "Diana was one tough cookie, revered and loved by many across oceans," says Sarah Powell of the San Francisco-based Tayana 47 El Tiburon. "She left a long legacy of inspiring woman to untie the docklines and follow their wildest dreams in her wake."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:54   #2

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Diana Jesse passed away...

G'day, mate. Thanks for the posting. We attended one of Diana & Jim's sessions in Detroit back in the mid 90's and they certainly helped us in making our decision to change lifestyles. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote