Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 17:40   #1

Boat: Grampian 26
Devolving threads

Hi. Was reading the latest CF newsletter and specifically about the 50 cat that was upsidedown off the coast of Spain. 9 pages of responses. First page, totally on topic and much compassion as the various camps set forth their reasoning for this incident.
2nd page. Somebody mentioned something about a PDQ flipping while under USCG tow. The next few pages were of arguments about what type of floatation is in a PDQ and why. That's where I gave up. Thread responses are getting way off topic for no other apparent reason than short attention spans.
Rant over

Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 17:54   #2

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
Re: Devolving threads

Squirrel!
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 18:08   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove8 View Post
Squirrel!

Love it. And, on point!
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 22:44   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
Hi. Was reading the latest CF newsletter and specifically about the 50 cat that was upsidedown off the coast of Spain. 9 pages of responses. First page, totally on topic and much compassion as the various camps set forth their reasoning for this incident.
2nd page. Somebody mentioned something about a PDQ flipping while under USCG tow. The next few pages were of arguments about what type of floatation is in a PDQ and why. That's where I gave up. Thread responses are getting way off topic for no other apparent reason than short attention spans.
Rant over

Tim

Persevere, at least half the remaining responses were close to on topic and interesting.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 01:23   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thread drift is an inescapable part of forum life, even here on CF. Sometimes goes far away, and sometimes that can lead to more interesting subjects than the OP's. Other times it is drivel.

But the bottom line is that no one is forcing you to read every post. If it isn't to your liking, skip on to the next one. Bitching about drift is a waste of time... and of course, such bitching is kinda off subject in itself.

Jim
Old 24-11-2020, 01:52   #6

Hang on Jim! This thread is about bitching about drift. So if you're bitching about bitching about drift is that a drift? Should I be bitching about you drifting a bitching about drift thread? I'm confused.
Oh I see, this is one of those drivel posts. Now we've got one of those out of the way....
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 02:38   #7

I'll just leave this here (can't remember where I got it) ...

ESSAY I. THE LIFE CYCLE OF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS:
Every online discussion group seems to go through the same cycle. Below are the six stages in the life cycle of an online discussion group, with a fateful fork in the road at level six. Also included are typical posts for each stage from the online "Pizza Forum" (mythical):

1. Initial enthusiasm: People introduce themselves and gush a lot about how wonderful it is to find kindred souls.
Pizza Forum: "You like pizza?! I like pizza, TOO! This is so great."

2. Evangelism: People moan about how few folks are posting messages and brainstorm recruitment strategies.
Pizza Forum: "We could make this the best place for discussing pizza on the whole Internet. I bet there are lots of people like us who love pizza!"

3. Growth: More and more people join. More and more lengthy threads develop. Occasional off-topic threads pop up.
Pizza Forum: "I just can't believe how many people love pizza. I had no idea that Richard Nixon liked garlic pizza. And I'm not sure I needed to know that."

4. Community: Lots of threads, some more relevant than others. Lots of information and advice are exchanged. Experts help other experts as well as less experienced colleagues. Friendships develop. People tease each other. Newcomers are welcomed with generosity and patience. Everyone --newbie and expert alike-- feels comfortable asking questions, suggesting answers, and sharing opinions.
Pizza Forum: "I have never loved pizza so much in my life. Thank you so much for that terrific recipe for thin crust! That story about the historical origins of mozzarella cheese was fascinating."

5. Discomfort with diversity: The number of messages increases dramatically. Not every thread is fascinating to every reader. People start complaining about the signal-to-noise ratio. Person X threatens to quit if *other* people don't limit discussion to person X's pet topic. Person Y agrees with person X. Person Z tells X and Y to lighten up. More bandwidth is wasted complaining about off-topic threads than is used for the threads themselves. Everyone gets annoyed.
Pizza Forum: "I really could not care less about the historical origins of mozzarella cheese. I am sick and tired of these self-important 'pizza geeks'. This group is supposed to be about loving pizza, and now I'm starting to hate pizza. What happened??"

6a.Smug complacency and stagnation: The purists flame everyone who asks an "old" question or responds with humor to a serious post. Newbies are rebuffed. Traffic drops to a doze-producing level limited to a few minor issues; all interesting discussions happen by private email and are limited to a few participants. The purists spend lots of time self-righteously congratulating each other for suppressing off-topic threads...
Pizza Forum: "Again? Look, we have already reached a group consensus on the mozzarella question. Please consult the archives. Can we get back to the history of dough-shaping please..."

OR
6b.Maturity: A few people quit in a huff. The rest of the participants stay near stage 4, with stage 5 popping up briefly every few weeks. Long-term members may find that they ignore more messages than they read. But the community lives contentedly ever after.
Pizza Forum: "I still like pizza."
(with thanks to the original author of the "Life Cycle of a List")

---------------------

ESSAY II. An essay on general etiquette issues for online discussion communities entitled
DON'T BE A JERK:

The Fundamental Principle:
"Don't be a jerk" is the fundamental rule of all online social spaces. Every other policy for getting along is a special case of it. Although nobody in this community is empowered to ban or block somebody for being a jerk (as this would be an instance of being a jerk!), it is still a bad idea to be one. So don't do it.

No definition of being a jerk is being provided here. This is deliberate. If a significant number of reasonable people suggest, whether bluntly or politely, that you are being a jerk, the odds are good that you are not entirely in the right.

Being right about an issue does not mean you're not being a jerk. Jerks CAN be right — but they're still jerks; if there's something in what they say that is worth hearing, it goes unheard, because no one likes listening to jerks. It doesn't matter how right they are.

COPING with Being Called a Jerk:
If you've been labeled as a jerk, especially if you have been told this by several people in a particular community, it might be wise to consider the possibility that it is true. If you suspect that you may be a jerk, the first step is to become aware of it. Ask yourself what behavior might be causing this perception. Try changing your behavior and your mode of presentation. In particular, identify the harsh words in your communications and replace them with softer ones.

Honestly examine your motivations. Are you here to contribute constructively? Or is your goal really to find fault, get your views across, or be the one in control? Perhaps secretly inside you even enjoy the thrill of a little confrontation. This may not make you a bad person, but to everyone else, you become an impediment. People get frustrated, rancor ensues, the atmosphere changes, and the whole community suffers. Are you here to give, or to take?

If appropriate, publicly apologize to anyone to whom you may have appeared to be a jerk. It's okay; this won't make you seem weak. On the contrary, people will take notice of your willingness to cooperate and will almost always meet your efforts with increased respect.

Telling someone "Don't be a jerk" can easily be a jerk-move in itself, so don't use this criticism lightly. This creates an obvious conundrum.

It Takes TWO:
It takes two to have a disagreement. You can't argue with yourself. If you're involved in a dispute that has become emotional or rude, blame yourself first. It's always a good place to start. If after careful reflection you sincerely believe that you are not at fault, then your best bet may be to step back for a few days.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 03:27   #8

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

It takes two to have a disagreement. You can't argue with yourself.

Really? I do it all the time. Of course no one ever wins!!?!!
Old 24-11-2020, 04:55   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well for drift I use a fortress in muddy or soft sandy bottoms
Old 24-11-2020, 04:57   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post

It's ok to argue with your self. It's even ok if nobody wins. But if you lose an arguement with yourself, it's time to seek help from a professional[emoji16]
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 05:06   #11

Boat: Hanse 430e

Oh yeah, well that wont happen with a full keel skeg hung rudder made of 2" solid fiberglass rom the 1970's!
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 06:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
When we disagree, one of us must be wrong...
... Unless both of us are wrong.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 06:23   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
When we disagree, one of us must be wrong...
... Unless both of us are wrong.

And that is truth
Old 24-11-2020, 06:33   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

... but I have a great pizza crust recipe!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 07:23   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Re. the capsize thread, one problem is that not enough information was available to say anything intelligent. So people went off hunting.

And it's just a water cooler conversation anyway. You can start a thread and try to guide it, but it goes as it goes.