Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 08:37   #1

Destin-Pensacola-orange beach

I've been working and saving to buy a boat and sail for a few years for a while now, and I'm finally getting close to my goal dollar amount to start really looking for a boat! I'm super excited about it but I've never actually spent any significant time on a sailboat. All the research in the world can never make up for hands on experience, which brings me to my question:

Does anyone in the destin-orange beach area have a 35+ sailboat at a marina that they aren't living aboard and wouldn't mind me spending a night or two on? I would be willing to contribute some cash and or labor to the deal, and I won't even touch the dock lines, nor crank the motor. I just want to get a feel for what the living conditions will be like to help me make the best decision I can make when I buy my own.

I know this is a long shot, and to make it an even longer shot, the only time I'm off work (I cash in my vacay days for the cruising kitty) is between 1 July and 5 July. If you wouldn't mind helping me out I would be very grateful.

Thanks a lot guys!
Robbywde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Destin-Pensacola-orange beach

There are a couple of sailing schools there that do overnight classes. As part of the school they also allow you to stay on the boat during weekend day classes as well. It may be worth getting some hands on training while spending a few days living aboard.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:47   #3

Thanks stumble! I'll have to look into that! It would be great to be able to get some actual sailing experience and spend a day or two on a boat!
Robbywde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 16:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Take a look at Emerald Coast Sailing - Beginner to Advanced Sailing Classes and Charters I was looking to do some cents with them last year. Very helpful, and the classes are all set up as live a boards.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pensacola