Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 19:12   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Defintion of a crusier

My definition of a cruiser is someone who lives AND travels on their boat. I don't get all persnickety about how long one must live, or how far one must travel. I think it should be measured in weeks, and I think the boat should at least move out of view of home dock or mooring. Beyond that, it just becomes a bun fight.

Maybe what you need is a series of Venn diagrams. Cruisers are livaboards, but not all liveaboards are cruisers. Racers and cruisers overlap, but some are just racers, and some are just cruisers. Some cruisers anchor out, some marina hop, and some do both.
Old 07-03-2020, 19:23   #17

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My definition of a cruiser is someone who lives AND travels on their boat. I don't get all persnickety about how long one must live, or how far one must travel. I think it should be measured in weeks, and I think the boat should at least move out of view of home dock or mooring. Beyond that, it just becomes a bun fight.

Maybe what you need is a series of Venn diagrams. Cruisers are livaboards, but not all liveaboards are cruisers. Racers and cruisers overlap, but some are just racers, and some are just cruisers. Some cruisers anchor out, some marina hop, and some do both.
Huh. The crew was just suggesting that I had screwed up and should have started with Venn diagrams from the start. Great minds and all that I guess...

Back to the drawing board. Stay tuned...
Old 07-03-2020, 19:35   #18

Boat: Hunter 386

Ya, I can make this work.

It will take some time though...

Old 07-03-2020, 21:40   #19

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

OMG...some people have got way too much time on their hands ? don't you have something to fix ? if not, come over to my boat and i'll give you something

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 22:17   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Ya, I can make this work.

It will take some time though...

It's not only the reality but merely what we want to be. I mean being a landlubber in reality with occasional sailing but crossing oceans and adventuring high latitudes single handed in my day dreams defines me..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 22:19   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
OMG...some people have got way too much time on their hands ? don't you have something to fix ? if not, come over to my boat and i'll give you something

cheers,
There's the cruiser!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:46   #22

Power cruiser=doing nothing, going nowhere, in a hurry in a fast boat.

Sailing cruiser=Doing everything, going where the wind blows, racing the wind in a slow boat.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:46   #23

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Power cruiser=doing nothing, going nowhere, in a hurry in a fast boat.

Sailing cruiser=Doing everything, going where the wind blows, racing the wind in a slow boat.

Not all powerboats are fast. Trawlers...
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:57   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Embrace the suck of cruising

Because my life

Is better than your vacation

Old 08-03-2020, 05:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Not all powerboats are fast. Trawlers...
Some trawlers are just sailboats with out sails.
Mine is a sailboat with out sails . I am going nowhere, doing nothing, In a slow boat. And I wont know when I'll get there or when I be finished. I do know I'm having fun.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Some trawlers are just sailboats with out sails.

Mine is a sailboat with out sails . I am going nowhere, doing nothing, In a slow boat. And I wont know when I'll get there or when I be finished. I do know I'm having fun.

Having fun.... after all isn’t that the great equalizer? No matter what propulsion system you use, where you go, what type of “cruiser” you are. We all love boats and that is all what counts. The rest is just stupid non stop arguments )
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I think the powerboaters like to go fast thing is a bit inaccurate. There are plenty of slow powerboats out there and even more that go slowly in faster boats. And some of us with faster boats don't do it for the love of speed, but for the love of boating.

In my case, we only get so much continuous time to travel and go places as neither of us is retired, so having a faster boat lets us go to and see more places. By cruising at 17 - 18 kts instead of 7, we have the option to burn some extra fuel and push through the less interesting parts of a trip more quickly, then slow down and enjoy the sights when we get to somewhere interesting. For example, from my home port of Rochester, NY to Cape Vincent on the St. Lawrence River is a 73nm run to the river, plus a bit over 3nm up the river (at lower speed). If I do the run down the lake at 7 kts, the total trip time is about 11 hours. If I do the lake run at 18 kts and then slow down for the last bit, I'm there in 4.5 hours, so if I leave at 6 AM, I'm settled in by 11 and have all day, rather than arriving in the evening. Factor in the return trip from the area and I've gained a whole extra day, which means we can go more places, see more things, have more non-travel time to relax, etc.

And then there are 2 kinds of faster powerboats. The ones that are fast compared to a sailboat or trawler and the ones that are actually fast. For example, my dock neighbor has a Formula express cruiser. His normal cruising speed (around 30 kts) is faster than my boat will go wide open. Heck, he's barely even on plane at my normal cruise speed of 17 - 18 kts.

For the cruiser definition, I wouldn't say all cruisers are liveaboards. Most cruisers have a liveaboard capable boat, but it's entirely possible to cruise part time rather than full time. Plenty of people cruise for a few months during the summer, then take the winter off, even if that means leaving the boat somewhere away from home for a while to resume a trip in a few months.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:40   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

whoa.....where on this thread is there mention of the most important part of cruising/sailing....ie, where to stash all the beer?
You gotta start with the basics first....then graph from there...a keg with some sails on it would make a good boat !!
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think the powerboaters like to go fast thing is a bit inaccurate. There are plenty of slow powerboats out there and even more that go slowly in faster boats. And some of us with faster boats don't do it for the love of speed, but for the love of boating.

In my case, we only get so much continuous time to travel and go places as neither of us is retired, so having a faster boat lets us go to and see more places. By cruising at 17 - 18 kts instead of 7, we have the option to burn some extra fuel and push through the less interesting parts of a trip more quickly, then slow down and enjoy the sights when we get to somewhere interesting. For example, from my home port of Rochester, NY to Cape Vincent on the St. Lawrence River is a 73nm run to the river, plus a bit over 3nm up the river (at lower speed). If I do the run down the lake at 7 kts, the total trip time is about 11 hours. If I do the lake run at 18 kts and then slow down for the last bit, I'm there in 4.5 hours, so if I leave at 6 AM, I'm settled in by 11 and have all day, rather than arriving in the evening. Factor in the return trip from the area and I've gained a whole extra day, which means we can go more places, see more things, have more non-travel time to relax, etc.

And then there are 2 kinds of faster powerboats. The ones that are fast compared to a sailboat or trawler and the ones that are actually fast. For example, my dock neighbor has a Formula express cruiser. His normal cruising speed (around 30 kts) is faster than my boat will go wide open. Heck, he's barely even on plane at my normal cruise speed of 17 - 18 kts.

For the cruiser definition, I wouldn't say all cruisers are liveaboards. Most cruisers have a liveaboard capable boat, but it's entirely possible to cruise part time rather than full time. Plenty of people cruise for a few months during the summer, then take the winter off, even if that means leaving the boat somewhere away from home for a while to resume a trip in a few months.
Did any one but me read the first line on first post.
Warning: the following is mostly tongue-in-cheek, although there is an underlying truth to the issue.

Have fun== if not fun it is work a 4 letter word.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post

Exactly. Making some comparisons is futile. Instead, as you did, pointing why it makes sense to you is the key. It makes sense to a person with family or schedules to stick to the ability to go a bit faster and enjoy the weekend. Or someone simply likes engines. It makes sense to you in your life. It makes sense to someone else to live at dock and never sail (although for me it wouldn’t make any sense...).
I always find annoying some folks who have this need to tell others they are better or truer.