Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 04:52   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Easily solved.. bike frame rigged to a generator...
and if wandering off to visit an old wreck where a stupid city boy with unrealistic fantasies and zero life skills died.. and who's sorry tale has been romanticised by someone to make some bucks floats your boat...
Bully for you.. sticking to ones limits is good.
Well, he had survived quite a few other adventures. In Alaska, he happened to eat the wrong plant which caused his end. That and the river had risen from a small stream to a raging torrent and he couldn't cross in his condition.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:53   #62
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I've been mulling over this anti-wristwatch sentiment for a few minutes now, and I don't get it. I fail to agree that
a sudden refusal to continue to wear a time piece has anything to do with sailing. Your radio, laptop, ipad, GPS, and cell phone all tell you to the second what time it is. The display is typically right there in front of you. Don't even have to raise and rotate your wrist to read the time. So do you just stare at the bare spot on your wrist when you want to know what time to tune into the weather reports or radio net?

Or do you just check the time on your cell phone and say " hey I'm a cruiser as long as I don't mount the cell phone to my wrist"?

I have a wrist watch that tells me the phase of the moon, the tides, my compass heading, the barometric pressure and trend, the day of the week and the time to a fraction of a second. I find a lot of this information quite useful on a boat. I don't see that throwing this information source away would somehow suddenly make me a more serious sailor.

If that logic was valid, then throwing away the GPS, radar, VHF, charts, AIS, and SSB would mean you've REALLY decided to become a cruiser! Why stop at the wristwatch? Junk all your instrumentation.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:23   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Define "Cruiser"

The 'No Watch' is more a psychological thing...
I've not worn one for over 40yrs... but then in most of my jobs they are considered hazardous accessories.. like rings.
But one does not really need one.. my H/H VHF gives the time.. as does my phone.. who main work is keeping me amused with Mahjong while waiting outside various offices for one thing or another..
As to the sailing side..?
One's Sense's can be very effective.. more cruisers have come to grief 'Sailing to the Clock' than those who don't..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28   #64

Too many deep thinkers on this site! As far as the kid in Alaska, well it probably made a good book but fantasy usually does, its far more interesting than some peoples rather dull existence.

The watch..well you are over thinking that as well. It simply takes a person from a life of schedules and always monitoring his watch to a life of no schedules and no need for a watch but of course we still wear one.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45   #65

Some of the characters in the book Into the Wild are not unlike some Cruisers. They are doing things their own way. Some living totally or somewhat off the grid.

Check this guy who was trying to live as man had 10,000 years ago:

The story of Gene Rosellini, the “Mayor of Hippie Cove”

There was another guy also that had a Bush Pilot drop him off at a secluded cabin in Alaska for a summer of fishing and hunting. Only thing was he forgot to arrange a flight out. He had been up there working on the oil pipeline back in the day.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:20   #66

Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The 'No Watch' is more a psychological thing...
But one does not really need one.. my H/H VHF gives the time.. as does my phone.. who main work is keeping me amused with Mahjong while waiting outside various offices for one thing or another..

+1 The watch thing is psychological to me-it feels a bit constricting and not having it didn't affect my cruising. (I still don't wear one now even though I'm back in US working).

We also didn't use cell phones so didn't use that for time either. The chart plotter & VHS did have time. Time was only really important for us to be sure we left early enough to get to a new anchorage before dark-if we were going somewhere specific.

Otherwise, if we were staying somewhere for a day or longer-we operated more on our body clock, which is surprisingly accurate & makes me feel better. Can't wait to do that again. No punching a clock to snorkel!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:31   #67

Boat: TBD

Wearing a watch elicits this much comment? Talk about having "time on your hands" ... and then there are folks, like me, who like having a watch. I'm a schedule minder sort of guy. I've had that little chunk of stainless around my wrist for over 45 years (well maybe not the SAME one but you get the general idea). Besides, just because you haven't worn one in decades doesn't mean that works for everyone. Whatever browns your biscuits I say, but I'd never purport to push my way of doing things on others nor would I berate them for following their own drummer... or watch.

MarcStAug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:38   #68

You know you are a cruiser when the people you interact with regularly refer to you by your boat name but don't know your last name.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:41   #69

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I spend a lot of time using image search. When I search "cruising sailor" these are the first six hits I get. Some are funny, some are sad, and some are pretty much what you would expect.
Thats awesome actually - your #6 photo there is Hans Clemmensen - the skipper of the Seagoon. Been following him for some time. here's a link to his website, just for your own edification: The Skipper

MarcStAug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:42   #70

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

A cruiser is some one who likes long boat trips and has the patience to not start the engine just cause things slow down. A cruiser likes the process as much as the end result. A cruiser is some one who could take a vow of poverty but is not necessarily broke.... At least till they have to go up in the yard.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Some of the characters in the book Into the Wild are not unlike some Cruisers. They are doing things their own way. Some living totally or somewhat off the grid.

Check this guy who was trying to live as man had 10,000 years ago:

The story of Gene Rosellini, the “Mayor of Hippie Cove”

There was another guy also that had a Bush Pilot drop him off at a secluded cabin in Alaska for a summer of fishing and hunting. Only thing was he forgot to arrange a flight out. He had been up there working on the oil pipeline back in the day.
Sorry but I see very little to admire or emulate in the life of Chris McCandless or the Mayor of Hippie Cove.

The mayor left civilization to try to live exactly like a stone age cave man and then killed himself.

The theory that Chris McCandless was poisoned by eating the wrong plants has been tested by a number of botanists and pretty much disproved. Latest theory is he just didn't have the tools or skills to feed himself and died of starvation.

And a guy who is dropped off in the wilderness and "forgets" to arrange a way out. That's admirable? Just sounds like a dumb move to me, plus potentially fatal. Makes as much sense as leaving on a sailboat from Europe to the Caribbean but forgetting to take Caribbean charts.

I do not reject in any way marching to the beat of a different drum. Pretty much always have. However, my aim in life is a bit higher than any of these.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:14   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sorry but I see very little to admire or emulate in the life of Chris McCandless or the Mayor of Hippie Cove.

The mayor left civilization to try to live exactly like a stone age cave man and then killed himself.

The theory that Chris McCandless was poisoned by eating the wrong plants has been tested by a number of botanists and pretty much disproved. Latest theory is he just didn't have the tools or skills to feed himself and died of starvation.

And a guy who is dropped off in the wilderness and "forgets" to arrange a way out. That's admirable? Just sounds like a dumb move to me, plus potentially fatal. Makes as much sense as leaving on a sailboat from Europe to the Caribbean but forgetting to take Caribbean charts.

I do not reject in any way marching to the beat of a different drum. Pretty much always have. However, my aim in life is a bit higher than any of these.
I'm not saying all these guys are folks that should be admired.

I do get a kick outta the Mayor though. He was super intelligent and did what he did.

Krakauer's view of McCandless is basically that he was young and did a few stupid things. He almost made it out btw if it hadn't been for the river and his ill health.

Krakauer did something very similar and barely escaped with is life.

Could be you have forgotten some of the dumb things you did as a young man. (or some of the things you thought you could live through but shutter to think of those things now) I did plenty many having to do with boats and others with guns while hunting

It's why we have young men in our armed forces especially the Seals, Army Rangers, Marines etc.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:42   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Define "Cruiser"

Loadsa dumb things... but I'm still alive... many I knew are not..
Apparently its something to do with Darwin...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:54   #74

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I've enjoyed the different opinions expressed on this thread and civilized at that. For me...I don't care what type of cruiser other people think I am. I love my life. One thing I know for sure...I'm not Harry homeowner with 2.8 children, living in the upper suburbs. Who has dreams of doing something after years of an unfulfilling job. Slave to a mortgage, living with an unhappy wife.
You can call me what ever you want but you can't call me that...a semi-death called coping
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
One thing I know for sure...I'm not Harry homeowner with 2.8 children, living in the upper suburbs. Who has dreams of doing something after years of an unfulfilling job. Slave to a mortgage, living with an unhappy wife.
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky..........

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser