Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
hmmmmmm lets see, must be a course for this Hahahahahashahahah
School of Hard Knocks?
Old 30-06-2011, 16:15   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: decommissioning fees--man vs woman.

NC has a horrible bass ackward law. if you hook up with a woman who is already married and having a bad time of it, and spousy Mr. Man find out, he can sue your pants off, and make a mess of any divorce for that spousey. A woman is considered "property".
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 16:28   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
NC has a horrible bass ackward law. if you hook up with a woman who is already married and having a bad time of it, and spousy Mr. Man find out, he can sue your pants off, and make a mess of any divorce for that spousey. A woman is considered "property".
eeeeps----kinda backasswards, isnt it-- i thunk we got over that property bs a bit of time ago.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 16:39   #20
cruiser

"n North Carolina for example, adultery is defined as any sexual relations between a man and a woman who are not married and cohabitating together"

see also "Alienation of Affection". A few states have this

Alienation of Affection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienation_of_affections
Old 30-06-2011, 18:57   #21

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I think the problem is marriage. Folks who can handle the responsibility to another person don't need it. Folks who think people are there for entertainment should not be married. Of course folks who are missing parts and peices are usually very sneaky and hard to spot. No person is more charming than a narrcicist of either sex.

You can call me the Ayatollah if you want but I think folks who cheat when married should lose everything, period. That law in SC sounds right on. If your not married and not comitted do what you like, no strings. Folks who are not missing parts and peices will still have to deal with those who are but at minimal cost.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 19:06   #22
cruiser

Ok I think you are Ayatollah then.

I think marriage should be outlawed, then people who co-habitat will have more respect for each other and stay on their toes, and value the relationship, and be more aware of each other instead of fearing the institution.
Old 30-06-2011, 19:27   #23

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

My two EXs had more than 20% spending power than what my earning power had been. Now it has been a few years since the last one and I now have enough money to buy a (new to me) Boat. May not have a bed warmer, etc. But then I don't have the hassle, bills, or bias opinions that go with them either.
They are in California and I'm here in Louisiana. something like that old song "My Exes are in Texas and I'm in Tennese."
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 19:32   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Have to agree with Salty, it's an archaic institution that is keep alive by religious convention. A simple legal partnership, if desired, is all that should be needed these days.
Old 30-06-2011, 19:33   #25

my ex sister in law-- marrried my brother--she is a narcissist-- she is also a nurse practitioner making over 250k per yr, he is a retired schoolteacher/principal-- he has to give her 48000 dollars within 2 yrs-- makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. she also got the house he bought on 3 lots--and more.....miserable stories i heard about this.
and the kids are all grown....
doodles and salty have sense..
Old 30-06-2011, 19:47   #26

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
No Salty, not property. Remember, this law works BOTH ways. If I hook up with a man Blah,blah,blah....
It's called character and integrity. A person with those qualities will finish the current relationship/marriage before moving on to start another.
If one undertakes the legal vows of marriage "to forsake all others" one should be legally bound. And NC takes this to mean that the part "and let no one put this asunder" seriously enough to include another party to the breaking of those vows.
It's simple really, marry and afford your spouse fidelity, or end the marriage and THEN go play the field.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 20:45   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm not sure I even understand this thread. My lady and I have been together for around 11 years. Not married and no real desire to be. If it works out financially that we'd be better married, then OK. Shouldn't take but a day or two.

She is not my property nor am I her's. We both have (well she has friends, I'm not too sure that I do) friends and acquaintances. We have a division of duties around the house and boat that we've fallen into but its not written in stone. If one of us sees something that needs doing, we do it.

Although it is difficult to imagine, if she were to wish to leave because she was unhappy, I would let her. What kind of animal would I be to keep her or make it any more unpleasant than need be? Would I be sad? Of course.

All this talk of laws and rules is both depressing and, in my mind, unnecessary. If one needs them, then IMO they shouldn't even live together. When I asked her if she wished to stay with me and she said yes, then that's all the marriage that either of us needed. I have no heirs so I have willed everything to her. Doesn't matter if we're together or not, I sure won't need it and someone other than the state should get it.

We're not getting any younger and health problems are starting to rear their ugly heads but before we lived together we were friends. Still are. I'm not the kind of person who will abandon a friend. Just ask my beagle who cost me around $7K in surgery and vet bills. It was a long shot but my little buddy will shortly be curled up around my legs in bed doing well.

I love this country but am distressed at how quick someone draws an attorney from a holster. Far faster than I could draw my .45 in combat course. Instead of worrying about this and that law, how about trying to just get along. If that doesn't work, then how about an amiable good-bye? Why does everyone want to make it as painful as possible for as many people as possible?

I don't understand and I guess I don't want to.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 21:22   #28
cruiser

Nice post cabo. My heart there exactly. My only concern would be if something bad would happen to me. That's where the legal stuff would come in. So that she is covered. If I got to a bad point where I wasn't there in full, I would want her to move on anyway.

Zeezee. Whao on that story of yours. And I've seen quite a few of those nasty ones.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47   #29

smb--i feel bad for my brother-- first we tried to kill him when i was 4 and he was 6 months , now he has the ex wife from hell-- she is as bad as my 2 ex husbands put together, almost.....

we is me n my 1 yr younger brother, who always did what i sed to do ...LOL>...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:59   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

She wanted nothing, she got nothing.
She cheated and I got a good lawyer. best few hundred I spent.

I've heard LOTS of horror stories before. Thankfully, everything worked out for me.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees