Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48   #61

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran
Re: Dating for cruising singles?

Yes we are still together.
Me and my boat were in st croix, christiansted harbor. i have lived aboard her since i bought her. He was on his boat in Tortola 40 miles away.
He sailed over and we met, hung out together, decided to stay together. We both love sailing, travel, living aboard, and most importantly we can face the challenges of the sailing lifestyle together. We were doing it alone until we met, now we do it together. A hurricane damaged his boat so he sold it and we left the Caribbean on my boat, sailing her to the south pacific.
He said he had trouble finding women that were willing to leave thier land lives. As most of my life has been on the sea, there was nothing for me to leave.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:54   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimarannaga View Post
Me and my boat were in st croix, christiansted harbor. i have lived aboard her since i bought her. He was on his boat in Tortola 40 miles away.
He sailed over and we met, hung out together, decided to stay together. We both love sailing, travel, living aboard, and most importantly we can face the challenges of the sailing lifestyle together. We were doing it alone until we met, now we do it together. A hurricane damaged his boat so he sold it and we left the Caribbean on my boat, sailing her to the south pacific.
He said he had trouble finding women that were willing to leave thier land lives. As most of my life has been on the sea, there was nothing for me to leave.
thats really romantic :-).

I know you are not meant to ask a Lady this, but may I ask what age range you are in?

I will check out the website regardless, just a bit nervous.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:59   #63

Oh wow there are HEAPS of people on that site. Some dating sites fill it with fake spam profiles, has anyone found that with lovesail.com ?

I already did a quick search on UK hehe. If those are real people there are some really awesome people on there. Kind of excited. Now just need to get that photo of me in my james bond suit with the shirt and jacket undone, having been pushed over board but managed to climb back on the baddies boat. ;-p
Old 09-01-2019, 12:07   #64

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimarannaga View Post
Trim, I'm super curious what would have happened if his boat had NOT been damaged and he was not so willing to give it up? My romantic ideal is we each have our own boats and we sail the same ocean. (As a diver with an errant buddy who has a tendency to wander off, we call this "same day, same ocean" diving.) It would be a big hurdle for me to give up my boat after all the sweat equity as well as several pounds of flesh, many liters of blood and thousands of dollars I've put in her refit....
Old 09-01-2019, 13:05   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
It would be a big hurdle for me to give up my boat after all the sweat equity as well as several pounds of flesh, many liters of blood and thousands of dollars I've put in her refit....
If I may add my thoughts...

I think that so depends on the person. Personally I wouldnt care as long as the boat was up to standard. Its not like a person cant sell a yacht and buy one if things dont work out. Of course though that puts somebody in the motivated vendor mode which isnt fair to take financial loss.

I grew up in a family of female divers, Uncles were dive instructors. I cant imagine being with someone who doesnt at least Scuba. But freediving is where its at (outside tourism, ie wrecks and reefs).

Sounds like your yacht has a lot of sentimental value, thats very cool.
Old 09-01-2019, 14:30   #66

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
If I may add my thoughts...

I think that so depends on the "two people involved."
Corrected this sentence for you
Old 09-01-2019, 15:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Corrected this sentence for you
Hehe true, but I thought thats a given, being a relationship. If not they truely arent meant to be as one together :-)
Old 14-01-2019, 22:17   #68

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, LuvSun,

...Do not think the women members of CF are not reading this thread, of course they are. What and how you post will affect how that group will think about you.
JPA Cate

I greatly appreciated the calm and nonjudgmental response you made to LUVSUN's post, but it was regarding the reality of women reading the responses that I was most grateful for.

As far as I have read the thread, you seem to be the only woman to reply. I would have added my own comment if I'd been able to do as well as you did, but even now I am still in shock over so many (not all) displays of misogynist responses. No wonder these guys are single.

As I write now, still struggling with the sick-to-my-stomach feelings this thread generated, I realize that my reaction is due to the carelessly degrading, locker-room banter that stunned me speechless; possibly why other women, too, have not responded. Too appalling to dignify?

Which brings me to the question of why someone in charge of assembling the recent Newsletter thought it worthy of including? It was a double-insult.

This began as a private message because I felt so conflicted about the, potential, further abusive posts it might generate. But maybe not--LOUDMUSIC had sense enough to recognize the march towards quicksand it was heading--there a Texas saying my husband loved to quote:

"Nothing can stop a wo/man in the right who just keeps on a'coming"...

So along with a deep breath, I take courage from those words and hit Submit Reply...
Old 14-01-2019, 22:21   #69

Aha! Thank you, Gamayun...while I dithered, you posted, too...and I echo your sentiments.
Old 15-01-2019, 00:41   #70

Boat: Sigma 36

Gaffer Mate,

IMHO you should never feel you have to hesitate before you write such a well written and considered post. You have expressed my feelings about this thread perfectly and managed it so much better than my attempt to make the same point with misjudged Sarcasm and apparently offence. Congratulations.

I can only assume many/most felt the same, including male contributors, but were reluctant to publish.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:15   #71

Very kind, GBR134, thank you. Others may disagree but you've just helped set my feet a little more firmly...ah, somewhere.
Old 15-01-2019, 13:18   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everybody,

Thanks for the kind words, Gaffer Mate.

It is one of the things about CF that I've observed.... There are some men here who have been really hurt by interactions with women; some who are misogynistic; some who seem pretty balanced. There are some women here who are pretty content, some who are quite competent, and forward thinking, and i bet you could reasonably say that about the guys, too. And, there just might be some women here who look with a very jaundiced eye on the type of guy who announces, "it's all about me". Of course, it's mostly about our own self for all of us, but announcing it publicly comes across as a giant "to heck with you".

"Illegitimae non carborundum", meaning "don't let the bastards wear you down". really applies to internet communication. You need to know you're unlikely to change someone's thinking about anything--you're too distant, and what right have we to ask or tell someone else to change? It's hard enough to change oneself! It is our job to cope with the other guys in as humane a way as possible. Their behavior necessarily influences how we do that, on CF and in the rest of the world.

At least, that's how I see it.

Ann
Old 15-01-2019, 13:39   #73

Ann, you are consistently terrific.
Old 15-01-2019, 14:29   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GafferMate View Post
Ann, you are consistently terrific.
Actually, I kinda agree with that, GM!

Jim
Old 15-01-2019, 14:53   #75

Actually guys there are 4 women on this thread, 2 have personally thanked me and 1 has been helpful. However I personally apologise to any women who have taken it out of context the way Gaffer is trying to bully it into being. That was not my intention and I am sorry.

The point of my statements isnt to say I want bikini clad women as you put words in peoples mouths.

The reasons for the statements was to suggest there is a reason other than being good looking (like everybody else is entitled to have self esteem), Im fit (which I am) and Im not poor which Im not. And Id like an attractive partner (durrr). Thats what dating sites are all about. In other words there are other reasons for why its hard to find people when you sail a lot and that is sailing.

You are deliberately missing the point Gaffer of the post to try and troll and bully somebody (me). Id advise you to stop.

Lots of other people have contributed positively with similar experiences, men and women.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, single