Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 15:48   #1

Angry Cyclone Winston beached yacht

Hi my yacht has been beached in Savusavu, unfortunately there is no communication in this town yet to ascertain the extent of boat damage! If I am lucky and keel is in order and no major holes could anybody tell me the best way to get her back in the water bearing in mind there will be no cranes at this stage

Where she is lying she sits about 60-100 ft from deep water ( maybe)

I'm thinking that possibly clearing a path and dragging her towed into deep water on her hull side

She's a fin keel skeg

Any materials used to try and protect hull and bottom! Any techniques to achieve this? Any ideas?

I will be there on Wednesday!

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	119362   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	932
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	119363  

Exit door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 16:00   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Cyclone Winston beached yacht

Sorry, way too vague. Boat size, weight construction, nature of the ground etc needed before any useful suggestions can be made.

However, thoughts for now...
A decent size cruiser will require a bulldozer/machine, or a LOT of men and ropes (perhaps 10 per 1000 KG? ) In times past, greased "ways" were used to slide vessels over the ground - perhaps this method could be tried... right down to the low water line, or a bit further, then wait for the tide. To drag her across sand/coral won't be feasible without some sort of "road". Rocks would be worse...
You'd have to make up harnesses to all the strong points - the load will be large...
The locals will have other priorities now, but will be more enthusiastic the more you pay them - and you will pay them, right?
Old 21-02-2016, 16:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you can get a trailer to her there will probably be way less damage if you can haul her back to the water that way. The truckers with flat beds are really ingenious at getting boats onto trailers though you may have to fabricate a cradle to do it.

Dragging the boat coral will probably tear the hell out of the boat plus you'll need a hell of a lot of horsepower to drag the boat. Possibly a well anchored barge with a big winch would work.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 16:10   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Crane and truck would be your best bet since it's sitting beside the road. The boat may already be holed if the foreshore is rocky.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 17:31   #5

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Water tight, is the first priority. Next lots of tackle. Moveable decking platform, to improve terrain between vessel and water. Cradle support for vessel, logs or fence posts to roll cradle and vessel to the water. Fast, no. But we do have the pyramids.
Move vessel from platform to platform, relocate first platform, move vessel, repeat until the splash.

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:15   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Water tight, is the first priority. Next lots of tackle. Moveable decking platform, to improve terrain between vessel and water. Cradle support for vessel, logs or fence posts to roll cradle and vessel to the water. Fast, no. But we do have the pyramids.
Move vessel from platform to platform, relocate first platform, move vessel, repeat until the splash.

Still surrounded by anchors.
Good suggestion!
This is a summary of how it was done locally yrs ago before cranes & travelifts.

Stand boat up on keel blocks.
Brace with whatever is available-from lumber post with pads to proper jack stands.
Build a strong wood cradle similar to pic. Lots of diagonal bracing & cross pieces.Build cradle on blocking above ground.
Bevel the ends of four 12" logs. Place under cradle & parallel to hull. Place 2 more logs across the ends of the four & thru bolt them such that the keel is trapped & 4 logs cannot spread or come together.
Drill 2" holes horizontally thru the bevelled ends of center two logs at least 3 ft back from end of logs.
Make any necessary hull repairs.
Thread 1/2" wire rope cable thru horizontal log holes as a towing bridle.
Tow boat back to water.

Name:	boat transport 33.jpg
Views:	2875
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	119369

Lot of manual labour-but it will work.

Cheers/ Len
Old 21-02-2016, 19:19   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK I have never done it, but given that there will be a minimum lifting available, there may be quite a few telephone poles lying around that you could borrow to lay out a rolling bed if you have a clear shot at the beach. Pulling the boat with a tractor onto a bed of (clean! no bolts hanging out) poles and then moving poles from the rear to the front as you go slowly may get you down on the beach at low tide, but admittedly, that is not the end of it. I can imagine lots of potential problems, protecting the skeg being one... but I am just winging it here until someone smarter chimes in!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 19:51   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The locals are used to using palm tree trunks as rollers.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:10   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Exit door,

So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

The good news is that there should be plenty of down palm trees. If the boat is not holed, you may be able to slowly move her. Her surviving the adventure will depend on how strongly constructed she is, and how she is moved. Is she a boat who could stand on her keel, or does she always hang in the straps when hauled out by a travel lift, and not moved to a temporary cradle? One hundred feet is a long way to have to move her, but wonderful things can be done with enough manpower.

You will want to think about gifts for those who help you, as well as paying them.

See if you can find a book about using blocks and tackles and rollers for moving large heavy, awkwardly shaped objects. You may be able to help someone else, then, even if your own boat is not salvable. Nice soft beach is one thing, but coral reef structure is essentially stone, and difficult to get the boat over. Full moon and its spring tide is one day away.

Good luck with it.
Ann
Old 22-02-2016, 00:36   #10

Thanks Neptune Gear, she's 10 ton 40.7ft, fibreglass, , pebble sand. I was thinking of throwing the locals a couple of sandwiches and a few Hail Mary's.
Old 22-02-2016, 00:40   #11

Thanks so much for all your replies and well wishes. I guess until I get to Savusavu this Wednesday there's not much I can do but hope! I'm starting to lean towards a crane and trailer! There's a distinct possibility that the few they have will be tied up with more important work though. I shall keep you posted and post the progress of her resurrection and seek your sound advice when needed.
Old 22-02-2016, 00:49   #12

Thanks Ann haha hey why does everybody think I'm not going to pay the locals of course I will besides I have been in Fiji long enough to know you won't get far without paying hard cash! For the love of sweet baby Jesus I'm not a native exploiting tight ass?
Old 22-02-2016, 00:55   #13

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit door View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies and well wishes. I guess until I get to Savusavu this Wednesday there's not much I can do but hope! I'm starting to lean towards a crane and trailer! There's a distinct possibility that the few they have will be tied up with more important work though. I shall keep you posted and post the progress of her resurrection and seek your sound advice when needed.
Do you know Curly there? He's a wealth of information on what resources are available. He's also got the trailer up the river that they use for hauling yachts there. Jolene at Waitui Marina (and her husband Sami) are also very helpful, although I'm sure they'll be busy rebuilding their lives also.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 03:39   #14

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1036
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	119403   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	119404  

Old 22-02-2016, 04:05   #15

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Interesting project, I would try digging at the base of the keel so the boat settles in a little deeper ,then tip it over away from the land,then ,,as its sand/pebbles it may be easier to drag off. Some large inner tubes may come in handy. Good luck.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht