Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 11:00   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Moody 41
Re: "Curious about circumnavigating/no experience"

Funny story. I've sailed all my life, and currently live on a 41 footer in Italy when not driving superyachts. When we were looking for our current boat, 3 years ago, an Irish mate of mine was so interested in the sailing aspect he told me he also wanted to buy a boat. He had no knowledge of sailing, but wanted to have a go. I was hesitant, but he was pretty headstrong. He was financially in a good place. He sent me a few yachtworld potentials, but they were far to "sailors yachts" for him to hop onto with his non experience. So I said to him, "look mate, you have very little knowledge, so I'm going to recommend a lager vessel that is safe, and should absorb the various mistakes you are bound to make. One that's a bit more difficult to sink." It was a Super Maramu. He bought it in Atlantic France, got it to where we lived in northern France, and I spent a month running through what the boat was, how things worked, and the basic points of sailing it. I then sailed with him across Biscay down to Porto, 2 up. From there he was on his own, I had to return to my job running a 40m motor yacht. My phone rang many times over the following 12 months. He lives on it 24/7.

Fast forward 3 years and he is back in Holland, having sailed the Med, across the pond to the Caribbean, up the east coast of the US, back across the pond to Ireland, over to the UK, and then across the channel to Holland. I'm sure had he posted on here before purchasing said vessel, he would have been bombarded with nay sayers and potentially turned off sailing for good. Instead he is a converted "yachtie", and this will be his life for the foreseeable future. He bought 1 boat, is extremely happy with it, and will keep it for I'm guessing at least 10 years. He's never looked back and has done more in 3 years on his vessel as a novice, than many self proclaimed "sailors" I've met in yachtclubs. Sometimes a leap of faith is just what is needed.
dnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 11:14   #77

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnight View Post
Funny story. I've sailed all my life, and currently live on a 41 footer in Italy when not driving superyachts. When we were looking for our current boat, 3 years ago, an Irish mate of mine was so interested in the sailing aspect he told me he also wanted to buy a boat. He had no knowledge of sailing, but wanted to have a go. I was hesitant, but he was pretty headstrong. He was financially in a good place. He sent me a few yachtworld potentials, but they were far to "sailors yachts" for him to hop onto with his non experience. So I said to him, "look mate, you have very little knowledge, so I'm going to recommend a lager vessel that is safe, and should absorb the various mistakes you are bound to make. One that's a bit more difficult to sink." It was a Super Maramu. He bought it in Atlantic France, got it to where we lived in northern France, and I spent a month running through what the boat was, how things worked, and the basic points of sailing it. I then sailed with him across Biscay down to Porto, 2 up. From there he was on his own, I had to return to my job running a 40m motor yacht. My phone rang many times over the following 12 months. He lives on it 24/7.

Fast forward 3 years and he is back in Holland, having sailed the Med, across the pond to the Caribbean, up the east coast of the US, back across the pond to Ireland, over to the UK, and then across the channel to Holland. I'm sure had he posted on here before purchasing said vessel, he would have been bombarded with nay sayers and potentially turned off sailing for good. Instead he is a converted "yachtie", and this will be his life for the foreseeable future. He bought 1 boat, is extremely happy with it, and will keep it for I'm guessing at least 10 years. He's never looked back and has done more in 3 years on his vessel as a novice, than many self proclaimed "sailors" I've met in yachtclubs. Sometimes a leap of faith is just what is needed.
Thanks for sharing. Of course, he had you. That trip you across Biscay with him was better than a lot of first experiences on boats people have.

By the way, stayed tuned: I plan to post a different thread about keeping a boat in Italy, and I'm sure your input will be invaluable.
Old 27-12-2020, 11:32   #78
Marine Service Provider

I shall stay tuned NedX. We are currently in Marina d'Arechi near Salerno which I would definitely not recommend to cruising sailors. The job on this 33m should finish up in April, and we shall be out of here immediately after.
Old 30-12-2020, 16:28   #79

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

I've been on and around boats most of my life... but I've only really coastal cruised (New England from Narragansett bay to Maine, Seattle and Puget Sound, and the bay area)... it is absolutely my goal to push off in 2 years... have had my passport 42 for 15 years.. my new Amel 50 was launched in France last month and will be the boat my wife and I go on.

In some ways I consider it a big step up, on the other not so much... much of the danger is within the ~15 miles or so of shore I've spent most of my life sailing in... on the other, the hardest part has been aligning my financials, house, etc. to enable me to step away before I'm 50 as i assume i'm stepping off the real money making train I've been on re. my career.

"circumnavigation" has in some ways been a mcguffin... if I end up spending 5 years exploring but don't make it all the way around I don't imagine I'll upset. It's the journey not the destination for me.

in the end - what it means to be "ready" ... this is really to each person to define. For me I've done as much preparing as I'm willing to do before going... could I do more? sure. Do I feel like i've got the requisite experience to care for my partner, my boat, and myself - yes. But if kept in "prepare this one more thing... or take this one more course, etc.".... then i'd never leave the dock.

YMMV>
Old 30-12-2020, 16:29   #80

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnight View Post

LOVE this story.
Old 30-12-2020, 16:37   #81

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
I've been on and around boats most of my life... but I've only really coastal cruised (New England from Narragansett bay to Maine, Seattle and Puget Sound, and the bay area)... it is absolutely my goal to push off in 2 years... have had my passport 42 for 15 years.. my new Amel 50 was launched in France last month and will be the boat my wife and I go on.

In some ways I consider it a big step up, on the other not so much... much of the danger is within the ~15 miles or so of shore I've spent most of my life sailing in... on the other, the hardest part has been aligning my financials, house, etc. to enable me to step away before I'm 50 as i assume i'm stepping off the real money making train I've been on re. my career.

"circumnavigation" has in some ways been a mcguffin... if I end up spending 5 years exploring but don't make it all the way around I don't imagine I'll upset. It's the journey not the destination for me.

in the end - what it means to be "ready" ... this is really to each person to define. For me I've done as much preparing as I'm willing to do before going... could I do more? sure. Do I feel like i've got the requisite experience to care for my partner, my boat, and myself - yes. But if kept in "prepare this one more thing... or take this one more course, etc.".... then i'd never leave the dock.

YMMV>
You sure picked a good boat for it.
Old 31-05-2021, 17:04   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
LOVE this story.
I love this story, too
JetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 18:08   #83

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

It is a nice story... but I'd like to point out that this chap had the advantage of one-on-one help and advice from a friendly expert, not faceless screen names or over burdened "instructors" at a school. IMO that makes a huge difference in outcomes.

Good onya, dnight!

Jim
Old 01-06-2021, 02:39   #84
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Jim. We're now over in Palma on a different 34m, so the Lazy Kingfisher will be going on the hard for the next 6 months unfortunately. The Irish bloke left Holland and is about to cross Biscay again with his partner. On his way here to have a couple of beers with us to catch up. He'll definitely have a few stories that will generate some chuckles. Then we set off across the pond on this 34m for the Lauderdale boat show. I know what I'd rather be doing. Such is life.

Tags
enc