Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 16:02   #1

Boat: CS 27
CS 27 taking in water overflowing bilge during winter

My CS 27 (1776) vintage takes on water to overflow the bilge over winter storage months.
I thought it was because it wasn't tarped well, but wouldn't that make the cabin ceiling wet, and soak the upholstery in the cabin? Both were dry.
There was water in all of the lockers beneath the bunks.
All of the teak surfaces were mildewed as a result.
Got it cleaned up nicely. That was 2014/2015

Much to my horror the same thing happened again this winter, but this time there were beads of moisture on the cabin ceiling.Upholstery was dry.

I am asking if anyone knows where this water is coming from, and how to stop it. [More]
screamcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 16:18   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: CS 27 taking in water overflowing bilge during winter

Assuming you have no obviously open to the weather areas allowing entry, deck leaks are the likely culprit. The worst bit is they can travel far from the original entry point E.g. By finding paths within the deck coring or between the hull and liner. Best way to stop it is to rebed all deck fittings.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 17:02   #3

Down the bolts in the toerail perhaps. That's where mine weeps in, not all bolts, about 1/3 of them. Butyl tape time... . Ceiling is likely warm days cool nights condensation.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 15:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau 50

Well, I'm about 3 years late to the party it seems.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RZ...edpp-6Pr4c722w

This is my first winter with my 1980 CS 27 and I have just discovered the same problem with the same symptoms:

Water overflowed the bilge to about an inch. Cockpit was full of 2-4 inches of ice and snow, tarp didn't hold it out properly so it built up in the cockpit.

Also, my upholstery was dry and there were no signs of water entry anywhere in the cabin.

main cabin storage locker on the right had water, and it has a path between that compartment and the stern of the boat under the cockpit, where i suspect the water entered.

The cockpit has no cracks or penetrations except for the two drains. I opened the cockpit storage locker and felt the drain fitting from the inside and it was wet. So i'm 99% sure it's that now.

Can anyone weigh in on whether I need to worry about there being a place that water could accumulate underneath the vinyl (or whatever) floorboards where they connect around the top of the bilge?

There is supposed to be a sealant between the floorboards and the top of the bilge but that sealant is shot and the space allows water entry, i'm just not sure where the water can go since it's tight and I dont want to rip up my floor if not necessary.

Thoughts?

I chipped the ice out of my bilge and added antifreeze to break it up, and pumped out all the water I could, but i'm worried that water got under the floorboards....
LiveCat6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water