Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19   #1

Cruising the Pacific

Does anyone have any "must do" special places in the Pacific. We're leaving Mexico next year for Australia. So far the agenda is Hawaii, Fanning Reef, Suvarov then not sure after that.
Rumdoodle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Would have to skip Hawaii but we went to Galapagos, Easter, Pitcairn, Gambier before Tahiti. All of these were terrific.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

As AiniA says, skip Hawaii and do Galapagos, then Marquesas, Tuamotus, Gambier then the Cook Islands.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

IMHO all the places along your route are musts. We have heard not all that nice stories from US Samoa, Pitcairn and Galapagos; otherwise I would stop by at as many islands as one can weave into their itinerary.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I also think that skipping Hawaii and instead taking the southern tradewinds route is the better plan (but I've already been to Hawaii). Depart from Mexico, and go through the Marquesas, the Tuamotus, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora-Bora, Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caladonia, to Australia. This is the traditional "Cocoanut-Milk Run", which often also includes the Galapagos.

But taking this route does mean that you won't be seeing the Line Islands, where Fanning Atoll is. The Hawaii / Line Islands / Cook Islands route could be really nice. Few people do it. I've never been there. It would be a shame to miss French Polynesia though.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50   #6

Boat: naver 29

i went through all the pages i could find that mentioned exotic,remote,must see etc etc for my future plans,i put them all on google earth,don't ask me to suggest a route though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	65055  
Attached Files
File Type: kmz GoogleEarth_Placemark.kmz (690 Bytes, 103 views)
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

the islands of Micronesia are vast and far flung ,but well worth the effort
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising the Pacific

Funny enough I quite enjoyed my 10 days in American Samoa... the Port Captain.. who also doubles as the Pilot was a great character and very helpful... the people were courteous and friendly and the island to me was quite lovely... not up to the Marquesas but then its a busy place is Pago Pago... would I stop there again if I went through... Yes

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I also think that skipping Hawaii and instead taking the southern tradewinds route is the better plan (but I've already been to Hawaii). Depart from Mexico, and go through the Marquesas, the Tuamotus, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora-Bora, Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caladonia, to Australia. This is the traditional "Cocoanut-Milk Run", which often also includes the Galapagos.

But taking this route does mean that you won't be seeing the Line Islands, where Fanning Atoll is. The Hawaii / Line Islands / Cook Islands route could be really nice. Few people do it. I've never been there. It would be a shame to miss French Polynesia though.
I've done this route twice and may do it again in 2014.

Much had changed in Moorea compared to my first visit there - in my view not for the better either. But, if you missed seeing Moorea before the development you of course won't know the difference and will enjoy Moorea anyway. Still beautiful in 2009. Now? Probably.

I've done Australia both times and will again.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:43   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Would have to skip Hawaii but we went to Galapagos, Easter, Pitcairn, Gambier before Tahiti. All of these were terrific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
As AiniA says, skip Hawaii and do Galapagos, then Marquesas, Tuamotus, Gambier then the Cook Islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post

I say skip Hawaii also but not just for a better route to the South but that Hawaii is an unfriendly place for sailors. Very little on amenities and Aloha and I lived there for 7 years!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 15:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I say skip Hawaii also but not just for a better route to the South but that Hawaii is an unfriendly place for sailors. Very little on amenities and Aloha and I lived there for 7 years!
And... what's the point of sailing all that way... and being in the same Country...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:00   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And... what's the point of sailing all that way... and being in the same Country...
Most of the locals don't believe they are.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:32   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We are currently in the Marquesas Islands of French Polynesia. Whilst we are finding the islands very interesting I am not sure we would want to do this a second time.
The islands are beautiful but very remote and the 'no see ums' are having their way with us despite repellants, air conditioning etc. etc.
If you are into diving and swimming off the boat then these islands, for us, are disappointing.
We really enjoyed Las Perlas Islands but a boat just arrived here a while ago minus his girlfriend ... people who were at Las Perlas same time Tribe and we were there ... lady swam from the boat, was swept away by strong currents and her man could not get to her in time. Here, help is not as readily available as in the BVI's for example ... we now always lower the dingy before swimming.

Anchorages ... the anchorages near any form of civilisation here have all proved to be 'rock n roll' but then again there are little bays (very remote though) such as Daniels Bay off Nuku Hiva which are SPECTACULAR and very calm ...

However, next stop will be the Tuamotos and I am told the swimming and diving is spectacular there.

Do your research well ... we are coming across a number of sailors who are putting up boats for sale because they find the journey too tedious and can't face doing the distance ... well, thats my 'two cents ' opinion anyway.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Most of the locals don't believe they are.
Bit like Wales then...

Old 03-08-2013, 16:51   #15

Hawaii... you can fly there for $500, why go sailing for weeks out of your way to get there? Besides the place is full of Americans (joking).
giant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising