Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 16:44   #61

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Re: Cruising - running away from yourself to look for something you already have?

My response to Osirissail was, I thought, a bit of ironic humor in the mode of "realism". Your reply indicates quite the overboard "romantic" approach. The two modes are probably not compatible. Well, good luck, and let us know in 5 years how it all worked out.

Fair winds!
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:22   #62

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Cruising - running away from yourself to look for something you already have?

There's a certain level of perspective than cannot change unless you change your surroundings.

The question is too broad though... Some people buy floating condo's with all the comforts of home, sail around the world visiting all the places everyone else visits, and come back exactly the same without gaining any new insights on life or the world around them. They're just on an extended vacation... Others, cross a single ocean, and within the weeks of solitude and openness, "find" themselves, and it changes them in profound ways...(they usually write books about it )

A lot of people change their location and sit and wait for their perspective to change, and when it doesn't they say "see, I was right all along".... But to change your perspective (on life, the universe, and everything...) You must first desire a new perspective. You have to SEEK it out.

This is where you have to differentiate between Running Away from something, and Seeking something new. If you are looking for a new perspective on life, or to "find yourself" you will... There's a lot of ways to find yourself, but almost all of them (that I've heard of) involve both travel, and getting outside you're comfort zone while you do it... So in that respect, setting sail across oceans and into different cultures is an ideal method of accomplishing this.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:55   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

running into life isnt ever running away from anything.LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising