Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 06:58   #16

Re: Cruising - running away from yourself to look for something you already have?

I received 'the answer' when my grandson was born 10 years ago...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 07:05   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Cruising - running away from yourself to look for something you already have?

The only thing I'm running away from is the cold, cold, winter!
Old 16-06-2011, 07:24   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The only thing I'm running away from is the cold, cold, winter!
as it should be!!!! the rest always goes with ye,no matter what..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've been pursuing various forms of adventure travel for most of my life. For me it's not about answering questions, but rather experience that draws me, and watching it on the discovery channel is simply not the same experience.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:41   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Some people don't/won't leave their zip code.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:04   #21

Boat: Pearson 26

Wow...consecutive responses first from daddle, then Doodles, and suddenly I can't get Johnny Most out of my head.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 09:38   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

As someone who has lived overseas for extended periods of time, I would say there's a big difference between visiting and living somewhere. Travel is always enlightening, but the typical visitor only skims the curdled surface off a place, missing the cream below. I found repeatedly that the impressions of a place that I gathered in my first weeks and even months of living there turned out later to be, well, wrong. Or, if not wrong, at least unnuanced.

I wouldn't for a second suggest that living somewhere as an ex pat is going to give you the same level of understanding as a native. BUT, there is a big difference between being a visitor and being a resident.

Having said that, travel always changes you -- even if it's in subtle ways. One of the big drawbacks to being an American today, in my opinion, is the inability to see situations in shades of gray. The political discourse and our own self-imposed myopia invites us to see only a few simple choices. And much of that is tinged with silly (and unwarranted) jingoism. Once you've seen the triumphs and challenges in other places, you can begin to look at your own culture a little more objectively. That's always a healthy thing, in my mind.
Old 16-06-2011, 11:28   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I like the diversity of geographical areas. A language barrier will try my patience, but I am cursed with Jacque Coustea, National Gerographic as a child, so I go. Like Vasco I too like the warmth if I don't have to work under a car when it's hot, but living in a swim suit is good!......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-011F.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	28604  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 11:52   #24

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I would say there's a big difference between visiting and living somewhere.
I agree with this one. I've told people the same thing regarding Hawaii. I visited Hawaii with my parents in high school in '95/'96 getting to some of the tourist traps. Then, I join the military and was assigned there for 3 years. Still enjoyed the islands, just different perspectives along the way.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 12:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I like the diversity of geographical areas. A language barrier will try my patience, but I am cursed with Jacque Coustea, National Gerographic as a child, ......i2f
Lowell Thomas was what I watched as a child and that spirit remains...to see what is on the other side of the mountain be it the deserts around Tuson, the 14000 ft mountains around Boulder or the Cheaspeake Bay . And while I've had opportunity to live in many places throughout the US I never did make that trip across the pond having instead remained at the dock living aboard for some 20 years. It's not the distination but the journey that to me is important and part of that journey is meeting interesting people along the way.

I'm met a few world cruisers while living at the dock throughout the years and all were great people and had wonderful stories to tell, but one thing I noticed is that once at dock they seldom went out for a day sail while I was always taking the boat out whenever I got the chance and on occasion some would come out with me. There is something magical about the wind and sea and the harmony that a boat under sail gives.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 04:50   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

While living in Forida for 7 years, and cruising during the season. It was rare I went for a day sail. While cruising, and staying put in a spot I often went for a day sail. In Florida I was on the St. Johns River, and it did not excite me to sail there.

I am return home to SF Bay, and can't once again wait to day sail the bay. For me it was location, and visuals. Here in Panama we have done day sails.......location, location, location...

As far as running away from yourself. That's impossible, because no matter where you go. There you are......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:02   #27

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
While living in Forida for 7 years, and cruising during the season. It was rare I went for a day sail. While cruising, and staying put in a spot I often went for a day sail. In Florida I was on the St. Johns River, and it did not excite me to sail there.

I am return home to SF Bay, and can't once again wait to day sail the bay. For me it was location, and visuals. Here in Panama we have done day sails.......location, location, location...

As far as running away from yourself. That's impossible, because no matter where you go. There you are......i2f
...words of wisdom from Dr. Buckaroo Banzai!
Old 17-06-2011, 06:41   #28

I didn't go to find myself, as I already know who I am. I went for the experience, love of the sea and Pacific Islanders, and the sail. When I am on my death bed I will say "I'm glad I went cruising" rather than "I wish I had gone cruising". The idea, for me, is to minimize the list of "wish I had done that" things, before I die.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

I don't understand how going somewhere else could help me find myself. As far as I can tell, my self is right here all the time. I can come to understand that the world is a lot bigger than I knew before, and that means my self is a lot less important too. I may meet people who are happier, so I know I can be too, and I may meet people who have more to give to others, so I know I can too. More importantly, I can learn that where I am is a meaningless as weather to a cave dweller, that the people around me are, after language barriers, cultural practices and clothing styles, the same the world over. Language, clothing, and culture are not who or what a person is. So, by extension, no place is better than another. No group of strangers are going to offer a fundamentally different human experience simply because we are all human already.

So why are we so unhappy where we are? Possibly because we have surrendered some responsibility for our happiness to some external person, place or thing. Cruising to far off places offers no escape from that; if we escape from one master, we find another.

Don't go cruising to change your state of mind. Cruise for the adventure alone!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:35   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

how can ye run away from self when yer always where ye are,no matter where that is???? doesnt make sense....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising