Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 06:31   #61

Re: Cruisers: How do you stay fit?

One of the funnest things I do when we are cruising, is to take the dinghy out (we had an 11 foot Boston Whaler on our last two cruises) and just row it for an hour or so. We had real wooden oars that were sized to fit it.

I could row the traditional way (pulling) from one oarlock position, then move them and row by pushing on the oars, to work out more muscles. It's a great upper body resistance workout, and not a bad conditioning workout. Does nothing for the legs, of course.

The only problem was when I had the engine on, and in the up position, and trying to convince all the Good Samaritans going by, that I really was just doing it for fun and exercise, and did't need a tow!
Old 18-02-2021, 06:37   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The only problem was when I had the engine on, and in the up position, and trying to convince all the Good Samaritans going by, that I really was just doing it for fun and exercise, and did't need a tow!
Me too!

I often row my dinghy around, instead of using the engine. But in busy anchorages I've had to wave off many fellow boaters who see my engine up and want to come to my rescue. I always thank them and try to explain, at which point they usually either look confused (why?), or just look like they think I'm crazy (which might be correct ).
Old 18-02-2021, 08:50   #63

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Whether you will find yourself fitter when cruising is directly related to how fit you were before you left. If you were sedentary, you will be more fit cruising. If you were very active on land, you will lose fitness - no two ways about it.

When we lived on land I walked to work every day, clocking five miles a day on moderately hilly terrain plus all of the walking I did throughout the building to talk to people in person vs picking up the phone. I also did yoga regularly, and I used to ride my bicycle. 15 miles was a warm up.

I can honestly say that after cruising full-time for 2 1/2 years I am in the worst physical shape of my life. The weight is the same, but I have much less muscle. Swimming, snorkeling, walking around a bit, yoga in the main cabin, and pulling sheets while sailing is no comparison to the regular exercise I used to get.
Old 18-02-2021, 08:58   #64

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Whether you will find yourself fitter when cruising is directly related to how fit you were before you left. If you were sedentary, you will be more fit cruising. If you were very active on land, you will lose fitness - no two ways about it.

This is true for me and my spouse as well. She is the very fit one. Me? I'm the slug. When on board I lose weight and am much fitter and stronger than being on land. For her, it's the opposite.
Old 18-02-2021, 09:33   #65

Boat: Tayana 37

TBH, I'm not nearly as fit as I should be, but I'm in decent shape because it's my job to teach martial arts and self defense. Teaching gets in the way of training, but just being active 6 days a week in classes keeps me relatively fit. I also try to walk 3 miles a day (of course, I'm frozen in right now in Texas - haven't left the house for a week).

Once we head out cruising, the plan is to volunteer and teach seminars in the places we go. Local dojos, youth programs, etc. And a large part of what I do involves students with disabilities and special needs, so I hope to work with government agencies and organizations in that realm to create adapted and inclusive sports programs...I think I'll stay active enough outside of general cruising requirements to be OK...
Old 18-02-2021, 10:15   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruisers: How do you stay fit?

As has been said before.. just sailing and the activities that involves keeps me fit.
On my own boats (all but the 39ft steel boat) I would opt to raise the hook by hand despite having an electric windlass on 3 of them.
Winch work, using the tiller, wandering up and down the deck, standing in the cockpit without holding on is great for the legs and sharpening balance and reaction to your boats movements and rhythm, rowing sometimes instead of always using the o/B and when on the hook diving over the side for a quick swim before the first coffee of the day.
My fitness has gone downhill since these Lockdownss and lack of sailing for near 18mths.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 13:52   #67

Yoga and cycling mostly. It is much easier to stay fit when it is getting warm. In winter time i am not fit, i eat chocolates and donuts.
IslaMujeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 13:54   #68

Move is life. If you don't exercise, you won't be in good fit.
KateMid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 11:04   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanta View Post
Start with a small and manageable routine and put it in your schedule, maybe even daily. Wake up ten minutes earlier, drink a couple glasses of water, and do a set of push-ups and some sit ups. Add in a plank. Find some small weights or a kettlebell and learn a few lifts. In time you will get stronger, build confidence (not that you’re lacking there), and your brain and biome will release dopamine/serotonin/oxytocin and you will simply feel even better. And stay at it. I have a daily routine and I add in other stuff half the time (a walk, a run, resistance training). And do not forget about eating clean (read this article https://betterme.world/articles/lean...r-weight-loss/ ). I’m in decent shape and eat pretty well, but I’m in such a better place now than I was when I committed to this four years ago. Give it a go!
Many here are over 60 so if we should attempt getting up drinking water then doing push-ups and sit ups I'm thinking that would about do it for the workouts for a while do to a severely strained back.

How about get up, go to the bathroom, get coffee, play on computer for an hour or 4, walk around some, lay on back and cycle in the air then maybe do pushups (skip sit ups totally) then pull ups followed by walk, jog, cycle, etc

When on the boat row kayak etc to shore, hike, explore etc and maybe the gym when you gvet back or you can take a couple dumb bells if you think you need that
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser